Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Bushing Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Pfadt Bushing Install Questions

EDIT: HOW I REMOVED/INSTALLED MINE HERE

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-pictures.html

Hey Guys,

Im going to be installing a set of Pfadt poly bushings this week along with the Johnny O suspension and was hoping to get some input as to what YOU did to remove your stock bushings and install the new ones. I know some people rigged up presses, MAP torches, etc but I was looking for some specific detail as to what exactly you did and what worked best. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear into this.

Thanks in advance and as always pictures are extremely helpful.

Last edited by stevensa; 11-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This mod is one I'm going to do this winter. Subscribing to this thread !
Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you have a press?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
Do you have a press?
Not yet, but depending on what is recommended in this thread I intend to buy one (probably a harbor freight budget one).
Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
Not yet, but depending on what is recommended in this thread I intend to buy one (probably a harbor freight budget one).
That's what I did. It's really a piece of crap in the grand scheme of things, but it works perfectly for the bushing install. I use pieces of different sized tubing to press the bushings into. The shaft on the HF press (smaller one they sell) is the perfect size to push the bushings out. It's a very time consuming job from start to finish. I'll try to post some how-to pics when I get a chance.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go the press route. I went the torch route and it was messy, dirty, messy, dirty, and almost painful a few times. Not too mention that much heat on the aluminum arms.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:31 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I did bushing I drilled out the old one. The second time I had a shop press that did a great job just pushed them out.

To installed them I used a very long bolt with fender washer and nut. This works best with a blot the same size as the ones used to fasten the control arms to the car. You use the bolt to pull the bushing into the control arm. Not my idea Pfadt support gave it to me worked very well. Use a mix of water and alcohol to act as a lubricate.

I used a piece of 1/2" all thread to make my bolt.

Last edited by beerkat; 10-24-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I've drilled them out personally. Press would be faster, but it didn't take long drilling and whacking them out.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I took all the A-arms to a machine shop and used their small press (floor mounted). Literally took only a few minutes per bushing. Incredibly simple. To put the new bushings in - some of them are split design, so those are easy of course. The others I used the HP press for.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:37 AM
JSTAN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 2/3 jaw puller to remove the bushings from the CA and a 5" table vise to press them in.

I was in the same boat as yourself regarding ways to remove/install the bushings. I considered purchasing the hydraulic press from HF. IMO, the press is a waste of money if you have a vise.

I would also suggest since you have the CA out to install some zerk fittings to lube the bushings once installed in your car.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the poly bushing kit definitely isn't a difficult install, but certainly a time consuming one since you do have to remove every control arm from the vehicle.

The easiest solution is with a press. If you can find one cheap from Harbor Freight you'll probably save yourself a ton of time. You can use any of the methods posted above... keep in mind that heating is going to leave rubber goop all over the garage, and drilling will leave rubber dust and particulates everywhere. If you're not going to use a press or vice our favorite method is described by beercat above. Using a long bolt through the bushing and an appropriate sized socket as a drift you can pretty easily press out any of the control arm bushings without too much trouble. Be sure to use a 1/2 ratchet or a wrench and breaker bar to minimize the amount of effort involved with getting each bushing out where ever you can, your body will thank you the next morning!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My mom removed the old bushings with a c-clamp and the fixtures from a ball joint replacement tool kit. I can't think of a slower way than using heat.

I cut all the bushings in half for easy install/no fitment issues.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default delrin vs poly

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I've drilled them out personally. Press would be faster, but it didn't take long drilling and whacking them out.
I would bet you use spherical bushings on your cars.
However, since I still drive my C6 on the streets over the weekends, I am not quite ready to go that route.

Have you known anyone to use delrin over poly urethane? We use delrin for special valve seats in our high quality valves. This material will not cold flow or creep. I have friends who have tried poly and they are adament about never using again. Guess they report a binding action under certain conditions.

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use delrin. It is great. A bit harsh if you drive on the street, but great for feel on the track.
Not cheap.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is more to the install than just lubing the new ones and installing.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
My mom removed the old bushings with a c-clamp and the fixtures from a ball joint replacement tool kit. I can't think of a slower way than using heat.

I cut all the bushings in half for easy install/no fitment issues.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
Hey Guys,

Im going to be installing a set of Pfadt poly bushings this week along with the Johnny O suspension and was hoping to get some input as to what YOU did to remove your stock bushings and install the new ones. I know some people rigged up presses, MAP torches, etc but I was looking for some specific detail as to what exactly you did and what worked best. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear into this.

Thanks in advance and as always pictures are extremely helpful.
These are the tools I used & some bits I fabricated, maybe $10. in costs at Home Depot. I had a nice DIY posted (about 3 yrs ago) but I can't find it or it got deleted. It had a narrative. Once the arm is out it's about 20 min per arm to press out the old & put in the new. Use lot's of grease.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p...arm%20project/

Last edited by froggy47; 10-24-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Bushing Install Questions

Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use a press. A a couple of various size bearing pullers make it easy (clamp them so that the puller ends sit below the A arm lip, the press will punch the center through the bottom of that no sweat).

I put my rear Pfadt bushings in before March '10, and did the fronts a few months after (I ran events with it half and half in between). Before nationals in Sept, I went to pull all of the arms off so I could re-lube them before nats. The upper fronts were a little tight, but all the other arms would fall under their own weight. Not bad, between street (in 2010) and track probably 8 or 10k miles on them.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default delrin vs poly u.

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I use delrin. It is great. A bit harsh if you drive on the street, but great for feel on the track.
Not cheap.
Glad to hear you do.

A good friend of mine has tracked for a number of years. He tried poly on his camero and literally hated it. He said it would bind up even if it rained. He is a mechanical engineer for a local semiconductor company here in Silicon Valley. He is the one who talks highly of delrin because of the way it will regain it's shape after being compressed and/or extruded under pressure. A cold flow material like poly urethane will compress out one or two ends and not regain its original shape.

Can I ask where you got these for your vette?
Did you install them yourself or had someone else do it?
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all of the great responses guys, I'll let you know how it all works out.

Quick Reply: Pfadt Bushing Install Questions