Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM recalls 6,006 Corvette Coupes for rear hatches

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GM recalls 6,006 Corvette Coupes for rear hatches

Last Updated: October 08. 2011 11:17AM
GM recalls 6,006 Corvette Coupes for rear hatches
David Shepardson/ Detroit News Washington Bureau

General Motors Co. said Saturday it is recalling 6,006 new Chevrolet Corvette Coupes in North America that might fail to meet a federal safety standard covering rear hinges.

The issue was discovered in early September, and GM halted shipment of the vehicles for three days as it investigated.

The recall covers 2011 and 2012 models — including 5,755 in the United States and 217 in Canada.

Text DETNEWS to 64636 to get breaking news alerts on your phone.

GM said the issue could allow the rear hatch to separate from the vehicle in a crash.

Dealers will replace both rear hatch hinges. GM notified dealers last month of its plan.

The issue was discovered in testing for a future European regulation.

GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or customer complaints related to the issue.

Most of the models — about 4,000 — are 2011 vehicles. The hatch being replaced is from Milan Metal Systems LLC of Milan.

Letters to customers will be mailed Oct. 14 with instructions on how to have their vehicle repaired.

dshepardson@detnews.com

(202) 662-8735

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111008/...#ixzz1aHkStq72
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd be more worried about the dealer doing surgery on the hindges than my hatch flying off in a crash... but maybe that's just me

Quick Reply: GM recalls 6,006 Corvette Coupes for rear hatches