Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alms: Season of change & 2012 schedule

Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Alms: Season of change & 2012 schedule

ATHERTON: 2012 WILL BE A SEASON OF CHANGE

Addresses schedule, ACO agreement, digital/TV plans and more
A dynamic 2012 schedule, a new agreement with the Automobile Club de l’Ouest (ACO), and upgrades to its pioneering TV and digital package highlighted the annual State of the Series for the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón. Scott Atherton, ALMS President and CEO, heralded the Series’ progress and growth in a number of key areas in 2011 and emphasized that even larger gains are coming next season for the world’s leading sports car championship.

“We’ve embraced change to drive progress because that is what’s at the heart of our sport’s reason for being,” Atherton said. “The American Le Mans Series represents the leading-edge of motorsports – not just in North America but around the globe. That will continue into 2012 and beyond as we continue to solidify the American Le Mans Series in a leadership position.”

Against the backdrop of Road Atlanta’s 14th annual Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda – the final event of 2011 – Atherton announced the American Le Mans Series and the ACO will continue their 13-year alliance, renewing for 2012 and beyond. The first race under the new agreement will be the 60th anniversary of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring fueled by Fresh from Florida – the opening round of the 2012 ALMS championship and the new FIA World Endurance Championship.

The Series’ annual appearance at Sebring on March 17 ranks as one of the impact points of the 2012 schedule. It also features a return to a May date for Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and the highly successful Baltimore Grand Prix in early September. The season once again will close with the 15th running of Petit Le Mans on Oct. 20.

“Each year we strive to put together a calendar of events that features the top tier of road and street-racing venues while impacting major urban markets,” Atherton said. “Our 2012 schedule definitely accomplishes these two key goals.”

The American Le Mans Series also will enter into the second year of its digital and broadcast partnership with ABC and ESPN. For 2012, four races will be televised live on ABC and ESPN2. As was the case in 2011, all Series races will be streamed live on ESPN3 – the fastest growing video platform on the web – and archived for on-demand viewing on ESPN3 and americanlemans.com. The American Le Mans Series is the first major racing series to make such a commitment to web-based television.

The results of the groundbreaking broadcast partnership for 2011 to date are phenomenal and show that the ALMS is reaching audiences well beyond the core sports car racing enthusiast. According to Nielsen Media Research, broadcasts of the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón on ABC and ESPN have reached 1 million more households than at this point last year for an increase of 51 percent over the 2010 audience.

Even using conservative estimates for this weekend’s broadcast and stream of Petit Le Mans, the Series will virtually double its total television audience compared to 2010.

“As we have done many times before, we have taken a bold leadership position in redefining our broadcast elements,” Atherton said. “We knew that breaking away from the status quo was going to be difficult but rewarding in the end. There is no question we are aligned with the broadcast industry leader for network, sports and internet television. I can assure our fans and stakeholders alike that the path we are taking will enhance and expand the experience of what the American Le Mans Series represents.”

Those watching the ALMS in 2012 will see the same five classes as in 2011: LMP1, LMP2, LMP Challenge, GT and GT Challenge. In 2012, LMP1 regulations will remain consistent with the current 2011 regulations which include 2010 “grandfathered” cars. LMP2, LMPC, GT and GTC regulations will remain as they are in 2011.

“We believe we have in place an ideal situation with the regulations from Le Mans as a basis for our championship, but the flexibility to do what we feel is in the best interests of the American Le Mans Series, our participants and fans,” Atherton said. “We are grateful to our partners at the ACO for their cooperation as we continue to advance the American Le Mans Series and Le Mans style racing in North America.”

Atherton also touched on the ALMS’ success in a variety of measurable categories. Attendance continued to climb in 2011, aided by the Series’ new digital marketing efforts with agency-of-record McMurry. Thanks to this partnership, traffic to americanlemans.com has increased 24 percent and the growth rate of traffic has doubled. Those numbers will grow larger still with the introduction of a new American Le Mans Series website – ALMS.com. It will offer an unprecedented level of engaging content that is aimed to attract both the casual and hard-core fan of sports car racing.

This year the Series continued to receive landmark media coverage in the mainstream media such as TIME magazine, the Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and Bloomberg TV. In fact, Bloomberg TV will feature the American Le Mans Series in an upcoming episode of their “Enterprise” series which examines American companies that lead their fields in innovation, adaptation and growth.

At the same time, more and more companies are seeking ways to become involved with the ALMS. The most prominent new addition is Forza Motorsport 4 as the Official Racing Game partner of the American Le Mans Series. The relationship brings a significant demographic and marketing platform to the American Le Mans Series. The creator of Forza 4 – Microsoft’s Turn 10 Studios - has enthusiastically embraced the partnership and is using this weekend’s Petit Le Mans to serve as the U.S. marketing launch of Forza Motorsport 4.

“We have now put all of the pieces together to enable the ALMS to lead where it matters most - right here in North America,” Atherton concluded. “There is no uncertainty. There is nothing in our way. We have the foundation, the resources, the partners, the flexibility and the vision to continue building a world-class sports car racing property that delivers unmatched value and ROI to all involved.”

2012 American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón Schedule

March 17 Sebring International Raceway
Sebring, Fla. ABC (March 18)
April 14 Long Beach Street Circuit
Long Beach, Calif. ESPN2 (Live)
May 12 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Monterey, Calif. ESPN2 (May 13)
May/June TBD ESPN2
July 7 Lime Rock Park
Lakeville, Conn. ESPN2 (Live)
July 22 Mosport International Raceway
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada ESPN2 (Live)
Aug. 4 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Lexington, Ohio ABC (Live)
Aug. 18 Road America
Elkhart Lake, Wis. ESPN2 (Aug. 19)
Sept. 1 Baltimore Street Circuit
Baltimore, Md. ABC (Sept. 2)
Sept./Oct. TBD ESPN2
Oct. 20 Petit Le Mans
Braselton, Ga. ABC (Oct. 21)

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|16339
Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Hopefully the May/June TBD will be them pairing up with IndyCar on Belle Isle again. IndyCar has their schedule set and will be here June 3rd.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Does that mean we'll get more than hours of coverage from ABC?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I was hoping they would have some NASA events as support!! That would rock!!
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This new TV package is both a blessing and a disaster. The good news is that I can watch the race on my PC anytime I want (replay).

The bad news is that I can't DVR the race on my TV, so I have to watch the race on my 20" PC screen in traditional stereo. I very much liked when I could DVR the race and watch it on my big screen in digital surround late a night on the couch.

The ABC condenced broadcasts are an absolute joke and while I watch them, I always watch the ESPN3 replay.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:44 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Would have been nice to see the GTC class expanded to include other manufacturers. I wonder what the reasoning is for not changing? Pressure from the current teams it would increase total cost of running in the series?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

But who watches Bloomburg TV ??

Need to be on SPEED TV, Verses or main stream TV. Full races, like NASCAR not shorten or delayed broadcast.

Mr Atherton has a ways to go to understand the viewing market. he may not get it until a big sponsor says NO. "I want to be on LIVE SPEED TV or no deal."
Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Looks like those of us who don't get ESPN3 are back to Justin TV.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
But who watches Bloomburg TV ??

Need to be on SPEED TV, Verses or main stream TV. Full races, like NASCAR not shorten or delayed broadcast.

Mr Atherton has a ways to go to understand the viewing market. he may not get it until a big sponsor says NO. "I want to be on LIVE SPEED TV or no deal."

Pain in the............ worst season ever for actualy seeing the races
Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I heard somewhere that the 2013 Sebring event may be a WEC event only and if cars are not competing in that, then they won't be able to compete in the 12 hours.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

what knda cars in the WEC races?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Years past I watched every minute of every race.
This year I watched the 24, because it was on TV, and not 1 minute of domestic ALMS racing.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
what knda cars in the WEC races?
The same cars from the ILMC but any car that does not compete in the WEC will not be allowed to race such as the entire ALMS including all GT contender except the works BMW which would be run by the German team if im not mistaken and not RLL.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Abc and espn3......yay (sarcasm)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

2 races live on espn 2 and one live on abc so will be interesting
Old 10-06-2011, 01:56 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JEPopp
Would have been nice to see the GTC class expanded to include other manufacturers. I wonder what the reasoning is for not changing? Pressure from the current teams it would increase total cost of running in the series?

Agree, but I hope they keep it NON tube frame. Would like to see some Grand-Am Corvettes, maybe some Viper ACR-X, Ferrari 430/458 Challenge cars added to the mix. They could really steal set the series off with that.

LMP classes should really be considered a wash (other than maybe LMPC) because showing up to races with 3-4 total LMP 1&2 cars is not going to cut it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't think they want to police a bunch of GTC cars.....they should just adopt GT3 or another multi-marque class that already exists. I don't think anybody wants to see a Porsche Cup race during an ALMS race.....I sure don't.

To me the only good news is that they aren't folding up completely. Hopefully things will grow when/if the economy ever turns around.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

They aren't in a position to afford to not "want" to. They better get more cars on the grid on a regular basis.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
The same cars from the ILMC but any car that does not compete in the WEC will not be allowed to race such as the entire ALMS including all GT contender except the works BMW which would be run by the German team if im not mistaken and not RLL.

BMW was not real happy with Rahal in the beginning. IIRC BMW wanted one of there street cars converted, but that was not going to happen to be competitive.

BMW TEAM RLL owned by David Letterman, Mike Lanigan and Bobby Rahal http://www.rahal.com/

Now that Rahal is winning, BMW wants the credit.

Get notified of new replies

To Alms: Season of change & 2012 schedule

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alms: Season of change & 2012 schedule