Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blowing smoke out my A##

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default blowing smoke out my A##

had a wonderful track day this weekend worked on water and oil cooling issues, created a cheap louvered hood w a beater hood for 100 bucks and some alum~ 8 X 16 Vents... added radiator cooling for oil along w/ the z06 air cooler on my 08 LS3 ..used an after market adaptor for the z51 unit i had OEM on my Z51.... on the way home oil pressure was ~5psi lower in 6th gear seeing 27-30 psi..
today on way to office.,.. *** end smoked like was doing cigars again..
oil pressure slowly faded to 10psi and i shut it down.... tail pipes and butt end covered in oil... towed home... started fine and drove it into garage. only 40K on car (2008) and will remove the track toys and return car to stock and have dealer swap out the engine.... they know i track it and discussed that i should consider trashing the engine at 70K or at least before 100k or 5 years... they got their wish...I have a great relation w. them I get to see how great.. i bring them cookies and nuts..

It is the rings i bet and will find out which cylinder gave way.
oh well it is hot in Texas.... 130 plus on the pavement and more on the track.. ambient air 103F....
i take the oil temp to 285 and water to 245 and do cool down laps.. never rev past 6K.... I think i keep it dialed back a bit but i guess not.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will be the 3/4 pair rod bearings.
Just my guess.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM
frankgtb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geerookie
I think it will be the 3/4 pair rod bearings.
Just my guess.
blown rod bearings dont throw oil out the exhaust

rings and or valve guides/seals
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by frankgtb
blown rod bearings dont throw oil out the exhaust

rings and or valve guides/seals
Agreed but I was looking at the 10psi oil pressure and rings and seals don't drop oil pressure that far.
I guess we'll have to wait until it's torn down to see what it is.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Hope it all works out. What oil temps were you seeing at the track? I only track in early spring and fall to avoid high temps and my oil will still get up to 275-300 F.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I lay off from May to August normally for the heat, but the wife left town for a week and I found free time to get out this weekend.
regarding oil temps...i generally c 285 in the dog days and 260-265 in cold season.

Have a lot of toys to remove before i tow it to the shop, but i have faith that the dealer and factory will happily replace the engine...

It will be week or two as i am heading to Baltimore for school for the next 6 days... then camping for labor day... What me work?

Do wonder if adding a larger air cooler and plumbing the radiator cooler just raised the pumping needs to the limit and just enough oil was not getting lubrication to the upper parts of the engine...however i did see that my oil pressure was normally low 40's and was seeing mid 30's while coasting or at idle for about a month now.. that was hinting there might be trouble in river city.

sent another sample to brookstone oil analysis and i got the results today. LOL. all normal range but for a smig more Fe than normally found.. hum? the soup thickens.

removing the Vararam intake, seats, tune, returning the oil lines to stock air cooler only, flushing the radiator oil cooler tank, leaving the headers, putting the carpet and stock seats back in and lighting a candle at the nearest church.. click my heals and think positive thoughts.

Kinda like a gearhead jepardy game is it not. doo DOO doo Doooo
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something similar happened to mine and it is the valve guides. Leak down and compression test came back fine. Top end is cheaper than bottom end, so make sure you do a compression and leak down before you make decisions.

Get notified of new replies

To blowing smoke out my A##

Quick Reply: blowing smoke out my A##