Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America Auction

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default Road America Auction

For all of you who will be attending the Road America ALMS race there will be an exciting auction put on by our very own Dan Binks, #3 C6R crew chief. He and his family support Camp Anokijig and proceeds from the auction will go to support this family oriented camp.

Check out the exciting auction items listed below. This is one auction you don't want to miss!

Camp Anokijig

Road America Auction

August 19 at 4:30 pm

Corvette Coral

Here is a list of items to be auctioned:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. #8 Corvette GT1 Door from Sears Point

Dale Earnhardt Jr. #8 right front wheel from Sears Point

GT2 front wheel and Michelin tire

GT2 rear wheel with Michelin tire

GT2 bent wheel

2011 right side door #74 from Le Mans crash

2011 #73 Le Mans winning windshield signed by entire team

2011 Le Mans official program signed by GT Pro & GT Am. Winning drivers

Doug Fehan Corvette Goodwrench fire suit

1 set New Michelin Pilot Super Sport

GT2 crank shaft

GT1 carbon valve cover

GT2 carbon valve cover

8 GT2 connecting rods and pistons

8 GT2 connecting rods

16 GT2 pistons

5 GT2 wing end plates

2009 GT2 wing

2011 #4 Lime Rock rear fascia

2009 #63 & #64 Le Mans Pit Lane Garage banner (last GT1 win)

2008 #3 pit board

2008 #4 pit board

Dan Binks pit arm bands from Le Mans 2011

Miscellaneous posters, programs, team shirts and more

For those not attending the race you can go to the Camp Anokijig web link, (see below) and make a tax deductible donation:
https://www.anokijig.com/pledge.html

The Binks family wishes to extend their thanks for all who will be attending and Dan added his own comment below:

This is a very special place for my family and I would like to say thank you for all the Corvette fans that have helped Camp Anokijig in the past and the future.

Thanks
Dan Binks
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm biddin!!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:48 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nice what kind of payment is accepted? credit card?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dvandentop
nice what kind of payment is accepted? credit card?
Yes, they will take credit cards!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

what have you seen some of the items go for before? just curious as to if i even have a normal guy has a chance or if some gold chain vette owner will be insane on the bidding
Old 08-17-2011, 10:44 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

what have you seen some of the items go for before? just curious as to if i even have a normal guy has a chance or if some gold chain vette owner will be insane on the bidding
Johnny O'Connell would have a similar auction at Petit Le Mans. Based on what sold there the answer is you never know. Some items go crazy and then some items go much cheaper and you are kicking yourself for not bidding. So, I never miss Johnny's auctions because I always come home with some great Corvette memorabilia.

My advice is not to miss Dan's auction as I imagine it will be the same and it is always a lot of fun.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

was a pretty awesome event, i was fortunate enough to have the winning bid on the rear bumper cover it will look great on my wall once i rig up some c6 tail lights in the holes.

someone was on a mass buying spree and bought a ton of items. i wish i would have won the rear wing as well so i could have used on it on car it when for either $650 or 450 i think. would have been sweet to get the door from the lemans car too.

awesome event thanks Dan Binks if you or anyone from the team read the forum.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

was a pretty awesome event, i was fortunate enough to have the winning bid on the rear bumper cover it will look great on my wall once i rig up some c6 tail lights in the holes.

someone was on a mass buying spree and bought a ton of items. i wish i would have won the rear wing as well so i could have used on it on car it when for either $650 or 450 i think. would have been sweet to get the door from the lemans car too.

I was surprised how cheap that went, i got a picture of myself holding it up earlier in the day.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Congragulations!! I know it will look great on your wall!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
I was surprised how cheap that went, i got a picture of myself holding it up earlier in the day.
when the door and wheels with tires were going for what they went for i was figuring $1000+ easily i was thrilled to have winning bid!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:51 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

when the door and wheels with tires were going for what they went for i was figuring $1000+ easily i was thrilled to have winning bid!
Yeah my wife was outside and I walked out to ask her something and she was like, if i had known it was going to sell for that price, i wouldve bid on it myself.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
XH2Oskier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for promoting this auction and bidding on items. We were able to raise more than $50,000 for Camp Anokijig, which made that our biggest fundraising event of the year...by far. I've been affiliated with Anokijig in some way, shape or form, since 1977. Some of you may remember Anokijig as the place that offered cheap/free lodging to participants for the MFBA track rentals years ago.

Since that time, the Racine YMCA, which owned Camp Anokijig sold it. Rather than see it be sold off to developers, who may have developed it into the kind of community that would be chock-full of people who move across the road from a race track and complain about the noise, I helped form a non-profit corporation to buy the camp from the YMCA and continue operations as a non-profit youth and family camp. We now continue to serve thousands of children and families each year on nearly 400 acres on the other side of Hwy 67 from the track.

Anokijig is still a strong advocate for Road America within the community, as we feel it's presence has kept property values affordable enough that the water frontage we own on Little Elkhart (3/4 of the total frontage) wasn't too attractive to developers who would've otherwise lined the pockets of the YMCA to get their hands on the land. As far as we're concerned, Road America can run cars as loud and as long into the night as they like.

For those of you who weren't there to hear the story behind Dan Binks' connection to Anokijig, I'd like to share it briefly. Dan's father, Phil, was a camper at Anokijig in the 1940s and a staff member in the 1950s. It was the close proximity of the two facilities that introduced Phil to racing, which turned into his lifelong passion and one that he passed onto his son, Dan, who is now the Crew Chief for Pratt & Miller.

Phil is a truly fascinating man, who has scores of beautiful photos from the early days of the track, as well as the days when they ran on the roads around Elkhart Lake and stories to go with all of them. In fact, Phil brought a busload of Anokijig campers to the very first race at the track. The support of the Binks family has meant more to Anokijig than anyone may ever fully appreciate, as it was Phil's relationship with a fellow racer from his SCCA days that led us to a foundation that loaned us $2 million of the $5.5 million we borrowed to purchase the camp.

Anokijig has been around since 1926, but we've only been involved in actively fundraising on it's behalf since we purchased it in 2006. We still owe $4 million, but pay off about $300,000 per year, primarily through income generated by operations.

Even though our debt is still large, we have never turned away a child who wanted to come to Anokijig, but could not afford it and we continue to provide camperships for several hundred such campers each year. Anokijig is truly an amazing place and one that has a profound impact on those who visit. Our motto is "We Serve" and time spent at Anokijig has inspired many of our former campers and counselors to pursue careers where they serve others- school teachers, counselors, nurses, etc... I apologize for rambling on about this place, but it is very special to me and I can't thank all of you enough for your support of it!

Jim McIlvaine
Vice President, Camp Anokijig
Old 08-23-2011, 08:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

awesome thanks for the long post Jim it really made me glad i did buy something from the auction to put towards such a heartfelt place that means so much to many in the area it sounds like!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Thanks for taking the time to give us the history of the camp, Jim, as well as on the Binks family. What a nice relationship between the camp and the Road America Track.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Z06C6R/Z06C5R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RA Auction

Great for you, Derek! That will make a nice wall decor, awesome! You should've gone for the wing and the end plates, they went for so cheap, would have cost several grand. What condition were they in?
Do you know what Doug Fehan's uniform went for? Been lucky enough to snag three drivers' uniforms (J.O., Gavin and Jan) and a bent GT1 wheel at previous Petit LeMans auctions w/ J.O., also lucked out with the prices then, didn't have much competition except for Johnny's Stand 21!
Best to you!
Jaime (Katech #20)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z06C6R/Z06C5R
Great for you, Derek! That will make a nice wall decor, awesome! You should've gone for the wing and the end plates, they went for so cheap, would have cost several grand. What condition were they in?
Do you know what Doug Fehan's uniform went for? Been lucky enough to snag three drivers' uniforms (J.O., Gavin and Jan) and a bent GT1 wheel at previous Petit LeMans auctions w/ J.O., also lucked out with the prices then, didn't have much competition except for Johnny's Stand 21!
Best to you!
Jaime (Katech #20)
yeah i hear ya Jamie, i should have bid more for the wing and end plates since i know the wing is 2-3k if you can get one from P&M from what i have heard, the wing went for around $500, end plates went pretty cheap at around $80-150 a piece all signed of course. the end plates were in great shape the wing, had some damage to top layer from the carbon so i wasnt sure if it would have been track worthy that is why i cut off my bidding since i wanted to use it on my car at the track the way it was intended to be used not sit in some cabinet for looks

Fehans uniform might have went for around $1000-1500 iirc. Berettas i think went for 1500-2k

Wonder if johnny will have any vette stuff for auction this fall or will have caddy stuff???

I have wanted to to get a rim/tire to make into an awesome bar table but the lady bid me up to over 1000 a piece per rim /tire combo.

will just have to keep an eye out for more of these auctions i guess as it seems to be the only way to get some real cool corvette racing memorabilia

dale JR right front wheel from GT1 car went for 6-6500

Last edited by dvandentop; 08-23-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Z06C6R/Z06C5R
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RA Auction

yeah i hear ya Jamie, i should have bid more for the wing and end plates since i know the wing is 2-3k if you can get one from P&M from what i have heard, the wing went for around $500, end plates went pretty cheap at around $80-150 a piece all signed of course. the end plates were in great shape the wing, had some damage to top layer from the carbon so i wasnt sure if it would have been track worthy that is why i cut off my bidding since i wanted to use it on my car at the track the way it was intended to be used not sit in some cabinet for looks

Fehans uniform might have went for around $1000-1500 iirc. Berettas i think went for 1500-2k

Wonder if johnny will have any vette stuff for auction this fall or will have caddy stuff??

I have wanted to to get a rim/tire to make into an awesome bar table but the lady bid me up to over 1000 a piece per rim /tire combo.

will just have to keep an eye out for more of these auctions i guess as it seems to be the only way to get some real cool corvette racing memorabilia

dale JR right front wheel from GT1 car went for 6-6500
OMG, those were crazy low prices for the wing and end plates, and outlandishly high ones for the Dale wheel and the two uniforms! Wasn't the wing fixable? A good shop might have been able to do something about it, any way water under the bridge.
J.O. might still have some Corvette Racing stuffs plus his own from the past many years w them, and he is still w GM Racing & P&M anyway, and he knows it's the Vettes that are the draw, and he wants to make the most money for his charity at Petit.
I might make it there in late September, will see Jim P hopefully, and will definitely be in Baltimore in 2 weeks, so if you want, I can keep an eye out for you and keep in touch by text during the auctions, did that for a Cali forum member 2 years ago, and won him J.O.'s 2008 uniform!
I remember Johnny also throwing me a GT1 BBS wheel (in great condition!) and a piston gratis after I won the auction for another uniform the year before, that was nice.
Thanks and best!

Get notified of new replies

To Road America Auction

Old 08-23-2011, 09:34 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

awesome sounds like a peiti lemans trip is necessary now if there were any hotels in the area that werent sold out!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Well i got the LeMans program and one of the pistons, I dont see any autographs though
Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
cor123
Melting Slicks

awesome sounds like a peiti lemans trip is necessary now if there were any hotels in the area that werent sold out!
Plenty of hotels about 30 minutes west of the track. Get your tickets now and don't forget to get the Corvette Corral package if you are bringing your Vette.

Quick Reply: Road America Auction