Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a sanity check on tire wear

Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Need a sanity check on tire wear

I’m looking for input on tire wear from an 08 Z06. The front right has me somewhat concerned. The car is driven aggressively but not abused (no curbs or off track adventures).
The most frequent turn is a double apex right hander and the car hits .95 – 1.02 G on this onramp 4-5 times a week. I’m guilty of left hand turn neglect as the places to hang a left hand corner at a good clip are minimal, a couple times a month if that.

The tires in question are Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Zero Pressure and they have approximately 13,000 miles on them since new. The rears are worn and the car is losing the grip I once enjoyed. Straight line traction is a joke. These tires have not seen the track and are maintained at 30 psi cold.

Is there reason to be concerned about the inner wear of the front right or left tire?

Front right:

Front left

Last edited by C5 Hardtop; 08-13-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see that you are driving the car the way it was meant to be driven!

I wouldn't worry too much. The inner wear is due to toe setting on front and to a lesser extent, camber. If you are not happy with the age/miles that you got from the fronts, you could have your front alignment (no need to check rears if no uneven wear issues) checked at least. If it's in factory spec, then that tire wear is what you are reasonably going to get with this level of performance. You could change the alignment to be more wear friendly at the cost of cornering performance/feel but I personally would not.

Andy
Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have too much chamber in your RF. Get a quality alignment done. Make sure they set the front toe to zero. If there was a lot of toe in the RF front (1/16" or more), then that might fix your uneven tire wear. If not, then take out 30 - 50% of the chamber in your RF. e.g. if it had -0.7, then make it -0.5 or -0.35 and see how it corners and wears. I am not worried about the LF.

Edit after Farmer's post (which is next): I agree with him. Thinking about it, I have -2.1 chamber on my fronts, and with zero toe, my street tires are wearing fairly evenly.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 08-13-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I'd say too much toe. You must know what you have to know what needs to be done though. Taking a ramp a couple of times a week will not wear your street tires. Looks like an alignment issue.

I keep front TOE oem on all but track-only cars....1/32" or 0.1º OUT . I can't imagine how you'd have enough camber on a street car to cause this, but again we can't make suggestions without know where you are now.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

13,000 miles on them since new
That is pushing it for a performance tire

most PS2s are good ~ 10,000 miles
Old 08-13-2011, 11:44 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Great feedback, thanks! I’m going to Discount tire today to see what they have and then find a reputable alignment shop (Redmond, WA).

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'd say too much toe. You must know what you have to know what needs to be done though. Taking a ramp a couple of times a week will not wear your street tires. Looks like an alignment issue.

I keep front TOE oem on all but track-only cars....1/32" or 0.1º OUT . I can't imagine how you'd have enough camber on a street car to cause this, but again we can't make suggestions without know where you are now.
The thinking I had on why the alignment could be normal and just the right tire is foo bar'd on the inside is most turns are right handers and this car is a daily driver (i had spaced about mentioning a daily driver until now).
In extreme cases the right handed sweeper (onramp) by my house is what would leverage the to-in/neg. camber on the left tire but not the right tire. It sounds long term, any kind of city driving (where I would not be known by first name by prison guards!) would not have enough impact to even the tire wear?

Get notified of new replies

To Need a sanity check on tire wear

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a sanity check on tire wear