Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Grand Sport for the track? (need help deciding)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Default 2012 Grand Sport for the track? (need help deciding)

I currently have a 2008 Z-51 with a few minor modifications and have been thinking of moving up to a 2012 GS to get the wider tires, better brakes and still be a great daily driver.

I love the Z51 package, doesn't ride too stiff for me and very little body roll.

From what I understand, the new GS's all come with the Z-51 suspension package as standard and the F-55 as an option. So is it a mistake to not go with the F55? I know the ZR1 has it, but these cars are complex enough as it is and there is potential for more suspension mods as time goes on, like coil overs and larger anti-sway bars if going with the standard suspension.

I like the A-6 transmission on the road course, any rhyme or reason why Chevy drops the dry sump system when ordering the A-6?

Next question too is in regards to R-compound tires. Are they more difficult to obtain with the wider tires on the GS?

OTOH, I could keep the 2008, pick up a set of R-compounds on stock wheels for track days (narrow body version gumby's) and take the car over and have it repainted by a professional. That is part of what's driving this, the paint is really crappy and my fault for not making a bigger deal out of it. Its a long story, I just want to fix it and move on. To properly repaint the car is about $6k, a big brake kit, tires and wide body install - throw in another $10k?, I may as well get a new GS.

Thoughts, suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

(My wife is solidly behind this too, I am truly blessed!)
Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
I currently have a 2008 Z-51 with a few minor modifications and have been thinking of moving up to a 2012 GS to get the wider tires, better brakes and still be a great daily driver.

I love the Z51 package, doesn't ride too stiff for me and very little body roll.

From what I understand, the new GS's all come with the Z-51 suspension package as standard and the F-55 as an option. So is it a mistake to not go with the F55? I know the ZR1 has it, but these cars are complex enough as it is and there is potential for more suspension mods as time goes on, like coil overs and larger anti-sway bars if going with the standard suspension.

I like the A-6 transmission on the road course, any rhyme or reason why Chevy drops the dry sump system when ordering the A-6?

Next question too is in regards to R-compound tires. Are they more difficult to obtain with the wider tires on the GS?

OTOH, I could keep the 2008, pick up a set of R-compounds on stock wheels for track days (narrow body version gumby's) and take the car over and have it repainted by a professional. That is part of what's driving this, the paint is really crappy and my fault for not making a bigger deal out of it. Its a long story, I just want to fix it and move on. To properly repaint the car is about $6k, a big brake kit, tires and wide body install - throw in another $10k?, I may as well get a new GS.

Thoughts, suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

(My wife is solidly behind this too, I am truly blessed!)
Too be honest I wouldn't move up unless you get the GS with manual and the DRY SUMP. If you plan on running R compound tires you REALLY need the dry sump. I moved from a manual 09 Z51 to a 11 GS manual simply for the dry sump. The bigger brakes and tires were a bonus. Chevy figured most people that track the car would want the manual..plus the manaul transmission is more durable then the automatic. If you stay with street tires you should be fine on the track without a dry sump.
you can order R6's straight from tirerack in the Z06/GS sizes...so they are not hard to fine..just $$

Last edited by trapp; 08-08-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix

YES. the automatic was the cruzer, the Manual with dry sump and additional coolers is the track car.

Manual trans with additional oil and trans coolers for the LS3 is a must if you decied to track a lot

also consider getting a second set of wheels. 18s all around. forget the 19" rears as tires to very expensive. You can get 18" scrubs for a few C notes total

Edited

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
YES. the automatic was the cruzer, the Manual with dry sump and additional coolers is the track car.

Manual trans with additional oil and trans coolers for the LS3 is a must if you decied to track a lot

also consider getting a second set of wheels. 18s all around. forget the 19" rears as tires to very expensive. You can get 19" scrubs for a few C notes total
I believe you mean "you can get 18" scrubs for a few C notes total"

Jim
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

YES 18" a few Cs TOTAL.

Save your good street wheels for the street.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The A6(I have one to go with my zr1 and z06) is kind of fun at the track but for a bunch of reasons I dont see it holding up with sticky tires. If you leave it stock it would probably be ok other wise you will hurt it if you drive it hard.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

My take and I do track an A6 is do not bother with a GS either add the things you need to the Z51 (engine oil cooler, really big trans cooler and brakes) or go straight to a Z06. there is no good reason to stay with something less unless your street time will be so much better with an A6. if you are comfortable with a manual and can afford the cost difference go with the Z06.
my reasons were the upgraded rack in the 09 and the fact that I could not find a Z06 that had it for a reasonable price
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Is this a street car that will see a few HPDE's per year, or will it be a dedicated track car that will be doing club racing or SCCA events and such???

If it's mainly a street car and you'll just be doing occasional track days, get whatever you want to drive on the street and you can still have all the fun you need on those occasional HPDE's.

If it's more track than street, take the advice in the posts in your thread in the C6 General section and here.

You also ask

From what I understand, the new GS's all come with the Z-51 suspension package as standard and the F-55 as an option. So is it a mistake to not go with the F55?
2 out of the 3 C6's I've owned have had the F55, and I really like it!! The only track experience I've had with it was at Spring Mountain in their cars, and it worked great!

But if I were getting a car that was going to see a lot of track time I'd stick with the stock suspension with the likelihood of swapping to coilovers in the future.

The F55 costs a lot more, and if you're going to remove it in the future you'd be throwing away a lot more expensive parts. Also, you'll need to "de-program" the F55 out of the car if you remove it.

Removing the F55 can be done - there are a number of forum members that have removed it from their track cars. But why get it in the first place if you'll be going to a real track suspension in the future that can be corner weighted and adjusted much easier.

If it's a street car that will only do a few HPDE's per year, the F55 is a nice suspension.

Bob
Old 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I owned a 2007 Z51 car (m6, z51) and tracked it 4-6 times a year for a few years.

I then sold it and got my current 2011 GrandSport Coupe, M6, 1LT, Drysump and it has 2 track days on it so far and just over 2k miles. Third track day is in a few days at Mid-Ohio.

R tires are hard to find in 325/19. Hoosier makes the R6/A6, but they are $$$$ and finding used cheap scrubs in 19" is virtually a 0%. I bought a set of 18"s all around (CCW) 18x10/18x12 and run a variety of tires on them (R888s, R6s, A6s, NTO5s, etc). It's the way to go. Just make sure to get sensors in your extra set of rims.

Make sure you tape up your GS at the track if you go that route. I use blue 3m painters tape and then yellow duct tape (my car is yellow) on top of that. Just make sure to remove it soon after your track day.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

My GS doesn't seem much quicker then my 07 was (track times are actually a few ticks slower in the GS, but I might not be as brave as I used to).

That said, I LOVE my GS. I didn't go Z06 because I still like to take the top off and do cruise-ins and what not with it also.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
I owned a 2007 Z51 car (m6, z51) and tracked it 4-6 times a year for a few years.

I then sold it and got my current 2011 GrandSport Coupe, M6, 1LT, Drysump and it has 2 track days on it so far and just over 2k miles. Third track day is in a few days at Mid-Ohio.

R tires are hard to find in 325/19. Hoosier makes the R6/A6, but they are $$$$ and finding used cheap scrubs in 19" is virtually a 0%. I bought a set of 18"s all around (CCW) 18x10/18x12 and run a variety of tires on them (R888s, R6s, A6s, NTO5s, etc). It's the way to go. Just make sure to get sensors in your extra set of rims.

Make sure you tape up your GS at the track if you go that route. I use blue 3m painters tape and then yellow duct tape (my car is yellow) on top of that. Just make sure to remove it soon after your track day.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

My GS doesn't seem much quicker then my 07 was (track times are actually a few ticks slower in the GS, but I might not be as brave as I used to).

That said, I LOVE my GS. I didn't go Z06 because I still like to take the top off and do cruise-ins and what not with it also.
The peace of mind with a drysump is priceless.... If your not running R-compound then stick with your car (Z51).
Old 08-09-2011, 02:04 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the sweet setup is the GS manual, dry sump and a supercharger. You'd get essentially the same thing as a ZR1 with the handling characteristics of the Z06. What's not to like, and it's less expensive. As long as you pay attention to the cooling and don't go mad with the boost, it should hold up fine. If I had the cash, I'd do that.

Get notified of new replies

To 2012 Grand Sport for the track? (need help deciding)

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Sport for the track? (need help deciding)