Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long would R6's last as a street tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:04 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default how long would R6's last as a street tire?

I know the rubber would be gone rather quick, but didnt know if they were constantly heat cycled would ruin them quick.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard that they heat cycle with every road use. I'm not sure of the specifics.
I highly recommend against driving them on the street, for the sole reason that they pick up and launch any pebbles/debris/etc.
Toyo R888s are a different story.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 369 Likes on 305 Posts

I've driven on a variety of different tires and found they last pretty good, if you don't have much camber. Just under a degree didn't wear bad, 2.5° really eats off the inside edge to fast. The stickier tires really throw stones which doesn't bother me with my car.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I heard that they heat cycle with every road use. I'm not sure of the specifics.
I highly recommend against driving them on the street, for the sole reason that they pick up and launch any pebbles/debris/etc.
Toyo R888s are a different story.
i use MT drags as a daily tire....i know about launching rocks. lol
Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Why would you want to?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Cuz i only drive the car hard and in good weather only
Old 08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The first time you get caught in even the slightest drizzle, or anything at all on the road (fluids, A/C, etc.), you will be kicking yourself for driving R comps on the street.

Bottom line, they are not safe on the street, for you or other drivers, bikers, and pedestrians. Very bad idea.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I agree it's a bad idea for all the above reasons, but to answer your question IMO normal street driving does not equal a heat cycle.

When I drive to an event on a6/710 and take a tire temp in my driveway & again when I arrive at event there is barely a 10-15 deg f increase in temp & no psi increase, therefor zero heat cycle.

If you drove on the street hard enough to increase the tire temps 60 to 80 degrees then yes you heat cycled them each time you did that.

And after a few times, if you heat cycled them they would gain durometer reading and would be very scary & unsafe to try to get heat into them on the street for a hard street drive.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NVR2L8
The first time you get caught in even the slightest drizzle, or anything at all on the road (fluids, A/C, etc.), you will be kicking yourself for driving R comps on the street.

Bottom line, they are not safe on the street, for you or other drivers, bikers, and pedestrians. Very bad idea.

Not to mention that if Officer Friendly happens to see you stopped somewhere like at a traffic light and he happens to see the obvious lack of tread, you may get a ticket for unsafe/illegal tires.

While tires that are marked "For Competition Use Only" may also have a DOT approval, they are simply not designed for general street use. There are lots of excellent street tires out there that can deliver near competition tire grip and will allow you to enjoy the car's performance but will still let you drive in the wet. You might look at the Michelin Pilot Sport series, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Kumho Ecsta XS, Nitto NT-05, or the Toyo R888, or similar tires.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Purely based on driving them to HPDE events (and sometimes getting stuck in the rain) I would guess you would get around 5,000 miles. And even with any heat cycling I bet they would still provide more grip at the end of their life than any brand new street tire. Just a guess.

Get notified of new replies

To how long would R6's last as a street tire?

Quick Reply: how long would R6's last as a street tire?