Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race exhaust dumped before "axle"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Race exhaust dumped before "axle"

Anybody run a race exhaust down the tunnel and dump the exhaust down before the "axle"? I did this in my Camaro, but was wondering if this is common/done with Corvettes. I don't have a transmission or diff in the car now to see how much room there to do this.

If it is done, anybody have pics of such an install? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You want to keep the heat away from the transmission and rear end or anything that could catch on fire like wiring!

Jim
Old 08-05-2011, 11:27 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Painrace
You want to keep the heat away from the transmission and rear end or anything that could catch on fire like wiring!

Jim
Right....I can't say I know how close the trans would be, but I would use turndowns to point away from car.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Right....I can't say I know how close the trans would be, but I would use turndowns to point away from car.

Here's one that dumped the hot exhaust right out onto the leaf spring. Turndowns would probably help.

If you're running coilovers and have removed the leaf springs, then I guess you don't have to worry about melting the rear leaf spring!!!

Bob
Old 08-05-2011, 12:08 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran mine out the side and went thru the frame. I cut a hole in the tunnel and floor and boxed in between the tunnel and the frame. Cut a hole in the frame and boxed that in as well. Exhaust goes out the side under the door. Came out great and no trouble with sound control.
Robert
Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I looked into this and even if you could fit turn downs (which is VERY hard on a lowered car), you still have a LOT of heat around the tranny and rear and leaf spring. Somehow if you could get them to go out the side would be better, but very costly. Just get a set of strait pipes over the axle and out the back. You'll get the same effect without any of the disadvantages of dumping the heat near the rear/tranny.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06

Here's one that dumped the hot exhaust right out onto the leaf spring. Turndowns would probably help.

If you're running coilovers and have removed the leaf springs, then I guess you don't have to worry about melting the rear leaf spring!!!

Bob
Yeah, leafsprings will be long gone...hehe ARE long gone even though no coilovers yet......
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
I ran mine out the side and went thru the frame. I cut a hole in the tunnel and floor and boxed in between the tunnel and the frame. Cut a hole in the frame and boxed that in as well. Exhaust goes out the side under the door. Came out great and no trouble with sound control.
Robert
Are you running mufflers in that setup? If so, what kind will fit?

We run at Laguna a lot and the car MUST be quiet. One worry is with door exit exhaust (I JUST LOVE THE LOOK by the way) is it will point DIRECTLY at the sound meter at two of the three tracks I normally run--Laguna being one of them.

In the Camaro I ran 3" dumped at the axle with two 18" Lobak (think Moroso Spiral) mufflers. Sound was 91 db.....quietest car out there.

Any pics of your setup?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

I run Flowmaster bullit mufflers. Not much of a muffler but we are allowed 103db around here. Never had a problem. If you have to be in the low 90's I don't think it will work. I have been told many times that my car sounds nasty on the track.
Robert
Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Flowmaster bullit mufflers. Not much of a muffler but we are allowed 103db around here. Never had a problem. If you have to be in the low 90's I don't think it will work. I have been told many times that my car sounds nasty on the track.
Robert
Really nasty when all eight are firing.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:53 PM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

What, You don't like that fart sounding V7?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:00 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Robert
Hehe.....technically we run 103 db most of the time as well...however.....when you run at Laguna....sound is from the Twilight Zone. Normally quiet cars will blow sound all the time.

I was kind of dissappointed with the LS7 and the Lobaks sound wise to be honest....my car was TOO quiet. But I hate to play that game....and I would be pointed right at the Laguna sound meter.....sigh....
Old 08-05-2011, 07:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

dumping a few thousand CFM of hot air under the car isn't great for aero only. I prefer to run it out the back, out the side, out the top, anywhere but underneath.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:42 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
dumping a few thousand CFM of hot air under the car isn't great for aero only. I prefer to run it out the back, out the side, out the top, anywhere but underneath.

....good point....

I guess I could turn it quick and take a "forty five" degree angle across the passenger floor allowing for a much longer muffler if I get busted by the sound cops.....
Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Like through the frame with a thin stap of metal to reinforce it?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:44 PM
coffey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....good point....

I guess I could turn it quick and take a "forty five" degree angle across the passenger floor allowing for a much longer muffler if I get busted by the sound cops.....
If you do a side exit that points towards the sound booth you can add a turndown at the exit that points at the track. That tends to bounce some of the sound off the track and away from the sound booth. It can be removable/configurable for different tracks.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody run a race exhaust down the tunnel and dump the exhaust down before the "axle"?
If it is done, anybody have pics of such an install? Thanks.

On the Beast, I run an adjustable muffler set up like you're looking for.

I am able to remove either muffler and replace with straight pipe. This allows me to meet sound requirements wherever I run. I run two different size Borlas. It takes literally minutes to swap the different configurations. I've never had an issue with a hot tranny of diff throughout the history of the car.

The first three pics are when the car was running a stock sized transmission -- pre Holinger.

The last three pics show the Sequential tranny and only a one small baffler muffler set up.

Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like more help.

Mike
Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I added cutouts at the end of my x pipe with turn downs. So i can just change a plate to have mufflers or straight pipe

Get notified of new replies

To Race exhaust dumped before "axle"

Quick Reply: Race exhaust dumped before "axle"