Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do rear spoilers work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Do rear spoilers work?

The rear spoiler I am looking at is this one for a c4 but also in general does adding a rear spoiler without any other aero improve handling? I have seen them on a few cars, but find it difficult to believe they would work well alone.

http://blainefab.com/spoiler.html
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by The Panther
The rear spoiler I am looking at is this one for a c4 but also in general does adding a rear spoiler without any other aero improve handling? I have seen them on a few cars, but find it difficult to believe they would work well alone.

A rear spoiler alone will aid in front end lift.... Using only parts of an aero package can do more harm than good.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, they work. I had a Blaine spoiler on my C5 and it was most noticeable under heavy braking and high speed corners. Not as effective as a wing, but it does help.

Travis?? bought it from me after I went full aero and he seems pleased with it. Maybe he'll chime in when he sees this post.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

yes, not as efficient as a wing, but certainly works. As stated above you cound lose front grip due to simple leverage, but if a bit of rear balance/confidence is what you need, go for it.

but you can bend something up with aluminum on a brake for nearly free.......
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We try to come at these topics from the "needs" perspective. Aero enhancements are certainly one method in making our cars quicker, but applied randomly, they usually make our cars slower!

A spoiler of the type shown in the link trades one type of drag for another. They are typically most effective on cars that have a high percentage of their weight on the front axle, and have a real abundance of horsepower.

Before investing (or buying a nice sheet of aluminum), you might ask yourself: Specifically, what is your car telling you it needs, that a rear spoiler would help?

Ed LoPresti

Get notified of new replies

To Do rear spoilers work?

Quick Reply: Do rear spoilers work?