Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunder Hill Track day Sept. 8th.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 AM
mooney201
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thunder Hill Track day Sept. 8th.

Well, I just registered for this event. I have a 2002 C5 coupe Z51 with stock run flat tires. This will be my first time with the C5, so I don't know if I will get the bug or not. I read the sticky's and learned a ton of information.
One question I have is if I get hooked, on road racing events, what wheels and tires would you guys recommend for our car? I would like to keep our run flats, and just purchase an extra set for track use, if I get the bug.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:00 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mooney201
Well, I just registered for this event. I have a 2002 C5 coupe Z51 with stock run flat tires. This will be my first time with the C5, so I don't know if I will get the bug or not. I read the sticky's and learned a ton of information.
One question I have is if I get hooked, on road racing events, what wheels and tires would you guys recommend for our car? I would like to keep our run flats, and just purchase an extra set for track use, if I get the bug.
there will be a ton of preferences on wheels and tires. keep in mind that a number of organizations don't let newer drivers use R compounds until they have substantial experience. Also depends on whether you drive to the track or trailer. If you are driving to the track and only do a few events a year, get a set of non run-flat street tires for track use.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have a good alignment on the car and fresh fluids for the first time.

Then don't buy tires, buy seat time. Go to classes or get an instructor for the first 5 or 6 times out on the track. You need to learn how to drive and then slowly add items. Safety would be first. After a good helmet, brakes are a good idea. Street tires are very forgiving and will tell you when you are getting close to the limits of adhesion. Track tires don't so you can get in over your head real quick if you don't have the basics down.

HOD will give you lots of instruction and T Hil is a great track in that there is lots of room to make a mistake and not suffer from it.

Most of all have fun
Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Make sure you have a good alignment on the car and fresh fluids for the first time.

Then don't buy tires, buy seat time. Go to classes or get an instructor for the first 5 or 6 times out on the track. You need to learn how to drive and then slowly add items. Safety would be first. After a good helmet, brakes are a good idea. Street tires are very forgiving and will tell you when you are getting close to the limits of adhesion. Track tires don't so you can get in over your head real quick if you don't have the basics down.

HOD will give you lots of instruction and T Hil is a great track in that there is lots of room to make a mistake and not suffer from it.

Most of all have fun
This is really good advice. A couple of added points:

1. Being from Redding, you know that it could be really hot in Willows in early September. You might want to replace the brake fluid with a DOT 4 (high temperature) fluid. My first time at THill (granted it was end of July), I had some brake fade at the end of a couple of sessions, likely due to boiling the stock fluid.

2. Again on the heat issue, tire pressures make a huge difference in how the car handles. Since it's an HoD event, Big O Tires will be there. You should definitely get them to check your tire pressures during the day. It's free, and it can keep your car from getting floatly due to excessive pressures. Guy Gamba is the lead guy -- he and his team always take really good care of the drivers that come by.

3. Do some homework before you get there. The Norcal SAAC (Shelby Club) website has track descriptions for THill, Laguna Seca and Infineon. No substitute for being on track, but at least you'll know which turns you have to show a lot of respect for. Then view some videos from here on the forum (search for "Thunderhill vidoes" and the like). Again, it's no substitute for actually being on track, but you won't spend the first two of your five sessions just figuring out where the track goes.

4. HoD has great coaches. They're there to help, and they understand what a newcomer needs to know to drive safely and improve throughout the day. And if you don't like a coach, don't be shy about asking for a change -- they're there to help you, not vice versa.

5. Don't think about going fast. Just try to be smooth and drive the proper line. These are great track cars right out of the box. If you let it, your car will help you have a great time out there.

6. If you have active handling etc., leave it all on. Just starting out, if it's kicking in, you're overdrivng the car. And if you get in trouble, it can save you and the car.

7. Above all, put your ego in your pocket, relax, listen to your coaches and have fun. You'll be amazed at how much you learn about your car and what you can do with it. And you'll see a huge difference between how you start out the day and how you drive the last session.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 PM
mooney201
Pro

Thank you all for this great information...

I am looking forward to enjoying this event.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

T-Hill is my favorite track, I love that place! I usually visit family in Redding every year in the summer and hit the track on the same trip (611 mile to Redding from here).

To re-iterate what others have said, Hooked on Driving (HOD) is a great option. Last time out I went with HOD and was very impressed because they run a tight ship and provided iced drinking water available in barrels spread throughout the paddoc. They include lunch with the package as well. The extra money to go with them is worth it.

As for track prep on the first time, at the very, very least:
1) Get your car teched by a pro
2) Check the brake pads for remaining life (as well as tire tread, these should be covered in #1)
3) Bleed the brakes
4) Bring a helmet (open face is better for communicating to your instructor)

FYI: Items in your car that you take to the track will need to come out and sit in your space in the paddoc while your enjoying the track (so things won't go flying around in the car)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

I see that you have a blower on your car. I would make sure about having the belts adjusted properly and be really aware of all the temperatures. Those things develop a LOT of heat and it needs a place to go. (Are you driving that car?) You might need to short shift and be easy on the gas.

I'll be down there instructing. Come by and say hello. We all have intercoms to make it easy to talk
Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
mooney201
Pro

I see that you have a blower on your car. I would make sure about having the belts adjusted properly and be really aware of all the temperatures. Those things develop a LOT of heat and it needs a place to go. (Are you driving that car?) You might need to short shift and be easy on the gas.

I'll be down there instructing. Come by and say hello. We all have intercoms to make it easy to talk
Yes, we have a blower, from A&A. Good idea's about watching the gauges, because it should be hot in September. Yes I will be driving the car. It would be nice if someone who was experienced was to take my car around the course once, so I could see what it could do, and show me how much I need to practice to be a better driver. I know 1st, 2nd, and third gear will be a challenge to keep the tires from spinning.
What is your name, so I can ask for you? And thanks for the advice,,, I can use all the advice I can get.
I am looking forward to having a great time, while learning.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
mooney201
Pro

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
T-Hill is my favorite track, I love that place! I usually visit family in Redding every year in the summer and hit the track on the same trip (611 mile to Redding from here).

To re-iterate what others have said, Hooked on Driving (HOD) is a great option. Last time out I went with HOD and was very impressed because they run a tight ship and provided iced drinking water available in barrels spread throughout the paddoc. They include lunch with the package as well. The extra money to go with them is worth it.

As for track prep on the first time, at the very, very least:
1) Get your car teched by a pro
2) Check the brake pads for remaining life (as well as tire tread, these should be covered in #1)
3) Bleed the brakes
4) Bring a helmet (open face is better for communicating to your instructor)

FYI: Items in your car that you take to the track will need to come out and sit in your space in the paddoc while your enjoying the track (so things won't go flying around in the car)
Thanks;
I purchased new rotors and brake pads, which I will be installing next week. I also plan on replacing the brake fluid with either Castrol Dot 4 or Motul rbf 600 depending on which one I can find. After doing a search on this forum, it seems that most people like one or the other of these brake fluids for road courses.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

[ I know 1st, 2nd, and third gear will be a challenge to keep the tires from spinning.
What is your name, so I can ask for you? And thanks for the advice,,, I can use all the advice I can get.
I am looking forward to having a great time, while learning.[/QUOTE]

Name is Ed Pavone. car #33. You name?

All you will need on the track is 3rd and 4th Usually on the first session, an instructor will drive your car for a few laps to familiarize you with the track. You can get a ride with me or other instructors to give you an idea of what the car can do
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM
mooney201
Pro

[ I know 1st, 2nd, and third gear will be a challenge to keep the tires from spinning.

All you will need on the track is 3rd and 4th Usually on the first session, an instructor will drive your car for a few laps to familiarize you with the track. You can get a ride with me or other instructors to give you an idea of what the car can do[/QUOTE]

Thanks Ed,, I will look for you.

Lloyd
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

All you will need on the track is 3rd and 4th Usually on the first session, an instructor will drive your car for a few laps to familiarize you with the track. You can get a ride with me or other instructors to give you an idea of what the car can do[/QUOTE]

Re getting your car checked out, be sure to print the tech sheet off of the HoD website and have your mechanic (or you if you're qualified) check off all the items. You'll have to hand it in at registration, so this will save some time.

And be sure to go down to the hot pit around noon for the coaches demo rides. You won't believe what they can do, even in theoretically slower cars. If possible, get a ride in a Vette for an apples-to-apples comparison to what you're doing. Strong suggestion: Don't eat lunch before you go out with the coaches.

You're going to love this.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Strong suggestion: Don't eat lunch before you go out with the coaches.

Hey, we're just giving rides. We don't want to scare the novice
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 AM
mooney201
Pro

Strong suggestion: Don't eat lunch before you go out with the coaches.

Hey, we're just giving rides. We don't want to scare the novice
Being a Commercial pilot, Flight Instructor, etc. I doubt you can make me sick,, but you could scare the crap out of me.
If we are in your car, you might regret that.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Being a Commercial pilot, Flight Instructor, etc. I doubt you can make me sick,, but you could scare the crap out of me.
I wouldn't let anyone drive your car, but I would go for a ride in their car. HOD coaches might be great, but you never know what might happen. Some coaches only have a year or so of hpde experience and the extra power combined with stock brakes in your car could make things tricky. Have fun out there. As a pilot I'm sure you will pick it up very quickly. If you decide to track your car frequently you might want to think about selling the supercharger and going back to a stock LS6.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:29 PM
DCW1
Intermediate

You're more qualified than most to handle this. My first demo rides were at Infineon. Between the elevation changes and the (new) sensation of power-sliding through corners with walls close in, it was a harrowing experience. I was glad I did it before lunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Thunder Hill Track day Sept. 8th.

Quick Reply: Thunder Hill Track day Sept. 8th.