Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amateur Goodyear RS-R review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Amateur Goodyear RS-R review.

I decided to try something new and went with the "new" Goodyear R compound instead of sticking with my usual Hoosier or Kuhmo V710 purchase.

I haven't had a whole lot of time on them so I can't answer the question about their life, but I will throw out some observations.

- Better grip than Kuhmo V710. Period.

- The "fast lap" seems to be just a little off of the Hoosier R6 but they seemed to be a lot more consistent. They felt almost exactly the same throughout the entire 30 minute session whereas the Hoosiers tend to get really greasy on my car, especially on a hot day.

- They like a little less air pressure than the R6.

- Most importantly... they look

Thanks to Mother Nature I didn't get to spend as much time on them as I would have liked but my first impressions are that Goodyear has made a pretty impressive tire.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I loved running on the Goodyear RS tires. I had the same experience...they were much more consistent than the Hoosiers....same start to end. I was actually faster on the Goodyears even though the Hoosiers DID feel that they had more grip...go figure.

I also found that you had to scrub them in before hot lapping them...at least 2-3 laps....they were scary slick out of the mold. But I had earlier versions and was told they addressed that.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I loved running on the Goodyear RS tires. I had the same experience...they were much more consistent than the Hoosiers....same start to end. I was actually faster on the Goodyears even though the Hoosiers DID feel that they had more grip...go figure.

I also found that you had to scrub them in before hot lapping them...at least 2-3 laps....they were scary slick out of the mold. But I had earlier versions and was told they addressed that.
I couldn't compare lap times because I had never been to Mid Ohio with Hoosiers so all of my observations were with the seat of the pants meter.

They might have addressed the slick when new issue but they didn't fix it completely. Out of the box they were as you said, scary slick. They were actually bad enough that I started having those random thoughts as to whether I screwed something up, my pressure gauge was wrong, or something of that nature. After a lap and a half... they were great.

Hopefully I can get to VIR sometime soon and actually do a legitimate lap time comparison vs. the Hoosiers.

Out of curiosity, do you remember what kind of pressures you were running in them? Did you notice that they needed a few pounds less than the Hoosiers or am I off base with that?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
Most importantly... they look
Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by sperkins
Yes. That was a joke.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I couldn't compare lap times because I had never been to Mid Ohio with Hoosiers so all of my observations were with the seat of the pants meter.

They might have addressed the slick when new issue but they didn't fix it completely. Out of the box they were as you said, scary slick. They were actually bad enough that I started having those random thoughts as to whether I screwed something up, my pressure gauge was wrong, or something of that nature. After a lap and a half... they were great.

Hopefully I can get to VIR sometime soon and actually do a legitimate lap time comparison vs. the Hoosiers.

Out of curiosity, do you remember what kind of pressures you were running in them? Did you notice that they needed a few pounds less than the Hoosiers or am I off base with that?
I actually was in on the Goodyear test session that they setup to compare the tires back to back with Hoosiers. We had Goodyear engineers and they put on sticker Hoosiers, ran a session, then like a "real" race team, came in, had a NASCAR pit stop and then out on the Goodyears.

Funny you mention you were doubting your setup. My dad came on the radio on lap one and said the Goodyear guy was asking how they felt. I told him: "I think you guys missed the lug nuts on a wheel or something the car is ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!" It was literally like driving on ICE! Then, like you said...about 1/2 way through lap 2...I felt them "kick in". They were good after that....no big warmup needed.

I think we ran them 6 or so pounds lighter on pressure...will have to go look at my notes.

We ran all day that day back to back and back and forth with the new Hoosiers. The Hoosiers ALWAYS felt much grippier and seemed to stick better, but the Goodyears were ALWAYS faster. Some guys were in our group were getting 2 seconds a lap faster on them....myself was a bit over 1 second. But then I prefer not to be too loose, more so that most drivers. The BEST thing I liked about them is they are consistent, no drop off from the start of the race to the end!

Get notified of new replies

To Amateur Goodyear RS-R review.

Quick Reply: Amateur Goodyear RS-R review.