Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Steering Column -- Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C4 Steering Column -- Help needed

Gentlemen,

1995 LT1 being developed for racing. Most of the non-essential electrics and electronics have been removed. We are looking for knowledgeable advice from those who have successfully removed their steering column locks.

We understand this involves disabling VATS, and we are also hoping to learn how to replace those $50 chipped keys with a simple "push-to-start" button.

Please do not simply write, "Take the column apart and take the lock out." The ignorant side of me is looking for step-by-step instructions. The more detail - the better!

Thanks,
Ed LoPresti
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Gentlemen,

1995 LT1 being developed for racing. Most of the non-essential electrics and electronics have been removed. We are looking for knowledgeable advice from those who have successfully removed their steering column locks.

We understand this involves disabling VATS, and we are also hoping to learn how to replace those $50 chipped keys with a simple "push-to-start" button.

Please do not simply write, "Take the column apart and take the lock out." The ignorant side of me is looking for step-by-step instructions. The more detail - the better!

Thanks,
Ed LoPresti
i just took the hole thing and chucked it ! put a staight shaft and a removeable wheel...it took a shaft, two yokes and a wheel kit.. @$100.00 works great
Old 07-29-2011, 11:30 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello George,

I thought Valencia was in Spain. Had I known it was so close by, I would have driven down for the Formula One GP!

What you have done is exactly where we would like to end-up: no lock, no tilt, and no damn key! Would you be willing to help further with a little more elaboration? I'll start by sending you a PM, with our telephone number, and hope we can go from there.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Mid-America had a kit to disable the VATS

certain years you can have it programmed out of the chip

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
i just took the hole thing and chucked it ! put a staight shaft and a removeable wheel...it took a shaft, two yokes and a wheel kit.. @$100.00 works great
collapsible?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:35 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Mid-America had a kit to disable the VATS

certain years you can have it programmed out of the chip

collapsible?
mine isnt but u can get them looked hard at the car and if reck damage goes back far enuf to push the shaft far enuf to hit me ill have the motor in my lap anyway!!
Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Any competent auto repair shop will have the column tools to remove take it in. I loved column work get to sit down like a white collar guy.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Steering Column -- Help needed

Quick Reply: C4 Steering Column -- Help needed