Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many People Need A Racing Seat With Sliders That Gains Headroom?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:29 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Default How Many People Need A Racing Seat With Sliders That Gains Headroom?

Some members have asked about headroom specs when installing racing seats on our brackets with sliders. We have gained some headroom with certain seats but not as much as some needed. We are considering making a modified tool that will have flat recessed areas on the underside so the sliders can tuck under and allow the center to drop between them. This would be the lowest seating postion of a seat on a slider we have seen. The picture below is a shell we cut up to help visualize.

We are also modifying our brackets and should have pictures of the changes soon.

How many people would be interested in the seat below in the standard height side bolster or a lower bolster like the prototype to the right with the modification to add headroom? If you are mildly interested post here. If you have serious interest, email me.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:11 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arizen
Some members have asked about headroom specs when installing racing seats on our brackets with sliders. We have gained some headroom with certain seats but not as much as some needed. We are considering making a modified tool that will have flat recessed areas on the underside so the sliders can tuck under and allow the center to drop between them. This would be the lowest seating postion of a seat on a slider we have seen. The picture below is a shell we cut up to help visualize.

We are also modifying our brackets and should have pictures of the changes soon.

How many people would be interested in the seat below in the standard height side bolster or a lower bolster like the prototype to the right with the modification to add headroom? If you are mildly interested post here. If you have serious interest, email me.

thinkin about a seat for my 02 zo6 so i can use my hans..@ im tall and could use more headroom than stock will ur setup achieve this? @how much $?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:26 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I hacked up my composite sandwich floor in my "new to me" z to gain an extra 3/8" and designed my own seat mounts for my Ultrashield seat so my head wouldn't rub the headliner.

I would be very interested in a suitable system, as I am 6'8" tall.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

I would also be interested in a lower seat.

-
Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Here is another picture of the headroom modification we will offer. The sliders on our C5/C6 mounting brackets will be about 14.25" apart on center. That provides a spacing from inside to inside of the sliders of 12.75". We will mold a rounded drop down between the sliders (where the red x's are) that can get the seat to the floor when at the back of its travel. As a reference, when the shell (A) sits on the slider (B) the height is similar to the stock height at its lowest setting. Our standard bracket with sliders raises as it gets closer to the front so the seat would raise as slid forward. We can make a custom bracket if the seat needs to be as low as possible while farther forward.

If the width between the sliders sounds narrow to you, remember you are not positioning your hips or skeleton in the drop down. Just getting some of your "flesh" in that area is what gains the headroom. I'm 5'10, 200 lbs. with a 38" waist and fit comfortably in the shell in the picture. We will have both the taller side bolsters and shorter ones, about where the blue x's are. The 16.25" shell width is comparable to the EVO2 plus as a hip guage, but that seat gets wider as you get closer to the front and this shell stays about the same width. We will offer a version without foam and cover for those who may need the complete width.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I hacked up my composite sandwich floor in my "new to me" z to gain an extra 3/8" and designed my own seat mounts for my Ultrashield seat so my head wouldn't rub the headliner.

Thanks
very interested....6foot 6 inches all in my back

johnny
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

You & I have exchanged some emails already Mark so I know you are aware of my interest, but figured I'd post here as well to add to the totals! While compared to a couple of guys here my 6' 1" (all hip-up) seems paltry but when you add in the issue of needing a slider to share the seat with my 5' 6" wife it becomes necessary!

Thanks for looking into this.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Pictures of a modified seat for gaining headroom on our brackets with sliders are below. The seat could actually rest on the floor. I also show the side profile of our seat that will have the lower side bolsters.

Our normal time to produce seats is about 4 weeks but these may take a little longer at first. Anyone wishing to order seats in cloth, leather or leather/suede and mounting brackets can contact me to discuss options. At present there will not be an upcharge to make this modified design. We'd rather get some in use and get feedback flowing.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2000BSME

Thanks
The first picture in the post above shows we can get our seat to floor level if needed while still using sliders.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:38 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

I'm wondering how this seat does "on the floor" with all of those wire harnesses that are stuffed under there. Have you had opportunity to test fit it in a car?

Thanks again for your efforts with this!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I'm wondering how this seat does "on the floor" with all of those wire harnesses that are stuffed under there. Have you had opportunity to test fit it in a car?

Thanks again for your efforts with this!
I haven't installed the prototype yet. Our standard brackets with sliders incline at the same angle as the factory tracks. The bracket below is being modified for improved harness mounting options and locations for mounting the C6 stock seat belts, but you get the idea.

The seat could be on the floor when all the way back (no electronics back there) but would raise upward as it slid forward, like the o/e seat. If there was a situation where someone needed the seat near the floor but much closer to the steering wheel, we could make a custom bracket with reduced incline. With the adjustability of height built into our side mounts I'm confident people could find a combination that suits them, now that a lower starting point is possible.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Excellent, thanks for the info.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Do you have anything for a C4? I had to bolt my seat to the floor to get the height I needed, but now my wife cannot drive it.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kubs
Do you have anything for a C4? I had to bolt my seat to the floor to get the height I needed, but now my wife cannot drive it.
The seat should fit in the C4 but we would need to fabricate the mounting bracket below the sliders. The C4 floor is flat but I do not have the dimensions between the studs in the floor. Can you get me the front to rear and side to side spacing on the floor mounting studs so I have a better idea how things would install?

Old 08-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 936 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

The seat should fit in the C4 but we would need to fabricate the mounting bracket below the sliders. The C4 floor is flat but I do not have the dimensions between the studs in the floor. Can you get me the front to rear and side to side spacing on the floor mounting studs so I have a better idea how things would install?
I store the car at my dad's. Next time I am over there I will get those dimensions for you.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We plan to have a sample of our bucket seat for gaining headroom and our custom seat back for C5's and C6's at Corvettes at Carlisle in the East Coast Supercharging booth. I'll post pictures of the sample seats we're sending tomorrow. We'd welcome feedback so please drop by and test them out.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

We plan to have a sample of our bucket seat for gaining headroom and our custom seat back for C5's and C6's at Corvettes at Carlisle in the East Coast Supercharging booth. I'll post pictures of the sample seats we're sending tomorrow. We'd welcome feedback so please drop by and test them out.
The prototype seat with the drop down to add headroom is covered. The pattern still needs some tweaking but we'll get back to that after Carlisle. The inserts can be a diamond pattern if desired at no additional charge. This seat used a simualted leather on the perimeter and suede for the seat back and rear cushion. We will offer it in real leather too.

When the rear cushion is removed the drop can put you as close to the floor as possible on sliders. I will work on a thinner cushion or filler of sorts after the show.

Visit the East Coast Supercharging booth at Carlisle.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many People Need A Racing Seat With Sliders That Gains Headroom?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:39 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I will stop by on Sat, this looks like it will work for me
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

I sat in the seat on Sat and felt good but I would need to be able to tilt it back quit a bit to have some leg support. I am 6'1" and 220lbs. It is an option for my L-88 Replica build.

Last edited by vstol; 08-28-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

New thread started.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-headroom.html

Quick Reply: How Many People Need A Racing Seat With Sliders That Gains Headroom?