Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS Baltimore questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ALMS Baltimore questions...

I am really thinking about heading down to Baltimore for the ALMS race on Sept 3... Probably just going to do the day, maybe stay with some family not too far from there.

I recently went to a Grand-Am race at NJMP, and I liked being able to walk around and see all different sections of the track rather than plant my butt in a grand stand and only watch from one place!
Am I going to be able to do that at Baltimore if I just go with the Grounds Admission?? What areas of the track are you going to be able to catch views of the race from? Are the green sections in the track map below for Grounds Admission?

Or am I not really going to be able to see much of anything and just be better of getting Grandstand seats?? Hate to spend that kind of money and be stuck in those seats!

Also, Is the Paddock Pass for all of the Paddocks?? or can I just walk into the ALMS Paddock w/o a pass? Not really into the Indycars anyway, but if its required for the ALMS Ill get them anyway, def want to see the cars up close!

Whats suggested for parking, just getting the parking thru the tickets purchase?

Thanks a lot guys! Chris

Last edited by CDaniel525; 07-25-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

All very good questions that are not really clear on the website. My question is are they having a Corvette Car Corral. That would be the best solution, parking right in the infield. It looks like parking is going to be far offsite and you need to take shuttle buses, which will be lame. If I can get into the car corral, that would be the key.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

I know they have a Corvette Corral but as far as I know its sold out.... Maybe others will chime in?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:47 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
I know they have a Corvette Corral but as far as I know its sold out.... Maybe others will chime in?
Wow, I searched and searched and could not find anywhere on the website where it has a link to register for Corrals. Does anyone know the link?
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Generally at a Road Race (even open wheel) you can get to any paddock area with a general admission. You would need a different pass to get into pit lane etc, but they generally don't separate the type of pass required for the paddock. It is rare that there are enough fans that they need to discourage visitors these days.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
I am really thinking about heading down to Baltimore for the ALMS race on Sept 3... Probably just going to do the day, maybe stay with some family not too far from there.

I recently went to a Grand-Am race at NJMP, and I liked being able to walk around and see all different sections of the track rather than plant my butt in a grand stand and only watch from one place!
Am I going to be able to do that at Baltimore if I just go with the Grounds Admission?? What areas of the track are you going to be able to catch views of the race from? Are the green sections in the track map below for Grounds Admission?

Or am I not really going to be able to see much of anything and just be better of getting Grandstand seats?? Hate to spend that kind of money and be stuck in those seats!

Also, Is the Paddock Pass for all of the Paddocks?? or can I just walk into the ALMS Paddock w/o a pass? Not really into the Indycars anyway, but if its required for the ALMS Ill get them anyway, def want to see the cars up close!

Whats suggested for parking, just getting the parking thru the tickets purchase?

Thanks a lot guys! Chris

Anwers to some of your questions from one of the event promoters:

"As typical with any street race, there aren't too many places from where you'll have a good view of the track without a grandstand seat. I think there may be open fencing areas between turns 8 and 9 on the outside of the track but inside our grounds. Maybe outside at turn 11 as well. It's hard to say until fencing and barrier walls are erected....which will be soon.
The green boxes/sections on our track map indicate hospitality areas, not open seating.
If you want a grandstand seat and parking, your best bet is a Car Corral ticket if you have a Porsche, Corvette, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Audi or Viper. Otherwise, we encourage people to park a park-n-ride and take the light rail or metro, in. Or you can buy a parking ticket but be ready for traffic! Grandstand seats are nice to have.
The ALMS Paddock is open to the public. You only need a paddock pass if you want access into the open wheel paddocks - IndyCar, Star Mazda, USF2000, Indy Lights."
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

FYI
Old 08-31-2011, 03:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Anyone have information on rail lines from the North into the city? I would rather not drive in, but take some kind of local commuter train to aviod traffic and parking issues. I have done google searches and I can't find a decent map showing any rail system that come from the North or Northeast of the city. I am coming from NJ and was thinking about getting off 95 at some train station...can any locals help?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM
blueekb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone get any info on the Corral yet? If I can park there I will probably head up there Saturday.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Anyone have information on rail lines from the North into the city? I would rather not drive in, but take some kind of local commuter train to aviod traffic and parking issues. I have done google searches and I can't find a decent map showing any rail system that come from the North or Northeast of the city. I am coming from NJ and was thinking about getting off 95 at some train station...can any locals help?
From the North, what you want is the "Light Rail".

http://mta.maryland.gov/light-rail

Make sure you pick a station with parking.

I'm working with the SCCA F&C group, and this is the info that they gave us:

Public Transit
The Baltimore Light Rail system will be in operation, with special extended hours. Tentative schedule: 5:00 AM to midnight during the week; 6:00 AM to midnight Saturday, 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM Sunday. Because the racetrack crosses the rails, service will be split into two segments, with a bus bridge between them. The southern segment will terminate at the Hamburg St station (nearest entrance: ALMS paddock Gate). The northern segment will terminate at the Baltimore St station (nearest entrance: Gate A at Eutaw St).

The system will be operating on a "modified" schedule from September 1 through September 4. The "modified" schedule will have trains departing BWI at 4:43AM and the last train arriving at 12:10AM. The trains will depart from BWI and Cromwell Stations every 30 minutes, alternating or offset by 15 minutes. This will provide a 15 minute headway between Linthicum and Hamburg Stations. Light Rail will return to a normal Holiday schedule, which is the equivalent of a Sunday schedule, on Monday, September 5.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I would say you'd need to call and see if corral tickets are still available.
1-877-435-9849

Here's the agenda:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2011/car%2...0Baltimore.pdf
Old 09-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Corvette Corral is sold out

The Green area on the map are NOT for Generral Admission

The ALMS Paddock is open to everyone, no Paddock Pass needed.

The Light Rail is the way to go. I am staying in Timonium MD just north of Baltimore and that's how we plan to go.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Corvette Corral is sold out

The Green area on the map are NOT for Generral Admission

The ALMS Paddock is open to everyone, no Paddock Pass needed.

The Light Rail is the way to go. I am staying in Timonium MD just north of Baltimore and that's how we plan to go.
Just an FYI...after not finding adequate info on the web, I called the Baltimore Transit Dept and they told me that since the hurricane, the North extension of the light rail system is completely down and they are NOT committing to having it up by the race weekend.

If you are depending on the norhtern light rail, I would start thinking about alternatives ASAP. The Souther line is operational and while maybe out of the way, you can drive around 695 South and take a train in from the south. I was planning on taking the Northern line, but may just have to drive in a deal with the traffic/parking.

My vette is still in the shop, so that means the corall is out anyway.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisD
I'm working with the SCCA F&C group, and this is the info that they gave us:
from another flagger
Old 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Just an FYI...after not finding adequate info on the web, I called the Baltimore Transit Dept and they told me that since the hurricane, the North extension of the light rail system is completely down and they are NOT committing to having it up by the race weekend.

If you are depending on the norhtern light rail, I would start thinking about alternatives ASAP. The Souther line is operational and while maybe out of the way, you can drive around 695 South and take a train in from the south. I was planning on taking the Northern line, but may just have to drive in a deal with the traffic/parking.

Thanks
I'll have to check that out.

Here is what MTA's website says:
http://mta.maryland.gov/advisories/l...dified-service

Light Rail Grand Prix Modified Service
Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 2:00am

Light Rail modified Grand Prix service from Hunt Valley to Cromwell and BWI will be in effect as of 9/1/2011 thur 9/4/2011. North bound train service will run from Hunt Valley to Baltimore Street Station, with bus shuttle service from Baltimore Street To Hamburg Station. South bound train service will run from Hamburg Station to Cromwell and BWI.
======================

I am trying to call them. Not easy getting through.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

More info on the light Rail

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/29033060/detail.html

We'll see I guess when we get there. We have rooms in Timonium with a Light Rail station a block away. Hopefully it will be back in order.

I have a feeling it will.

My guess is they have probably been working feverishly since last Sunday to restore this system with concerns for this weekends events
Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

After speaking with the MTA - As of 1630 hours September 1, 2011

The MTA's Light Rail system is 100% fully operational.

There are limitations of course caused by a Street Racing Circuit of all things being temporarily constructed in the part of the Light Rail's path.

From the North
The Light Rail System WILL RUN from Hunt Valley to the University Center/Baltimore St. Station. This will leave you about 2 or 3 blocks from Gate A.

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS Baltimore questions...

Old 09-01-2011, 05:54 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Found this...virtual lap of the circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDXDT7Ykzg

Last edited by 95jersey; 09-01-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:40 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Found this...virtual lap of the circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDXDT7Ykzg
holy shiiit looks like there is gonna be a ton of balled up cars with as many cars in the ALMS session as they have now

gonna be an all out battle royal it looks like, would not be surprised to see cars crashed up in practice and qualifying
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
holy shiiit looks like there is gonna be a ton of balled up cars with as many cars in the ALMS session as they have now

gonna be an all out battle royal it looks like, would not be surprised to see cars crashed up in practice and qualifying
I hear ya, turns 5 through 7 with the pit entrance thrown in there I'll bet will prove to be a problem. Lap one of Sunday's race should be wild. Many of the Indy Car drivers seem to think they can win the race on that first lap.

Quick Reply: ALMS Baltimore questions...