Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An issue came up that needs to be clarified...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default An issue came up that needs to be clarified...

in any NASA region where you are racing.

The issue is if during the race someone passes you, and then the offender tries to give the position back. If you take the pass back while in the yellow flag zone, technically, that would put you violation too, since you passed under yellow.

In the Southeast Region, you could be DQ'ed for the re-pass, if it's reported by the corner worker. We've been told not to take the pass back.

It would behoove everyone to ask the race director, during the racer's meeting, for a ruling on that circumstance so that you know how to handle it when you're racing out of region.

It'd certainly be beneficial to know this at Nationals, too.

Which brings up another item, scrubbing tires on the practice or qualifying outlap. In the Southeast, if the green flag is out, there is no scrubbing allowed. Doing so can send you to the back of the field for the race start. I suspect it's the same for all regions and Nationals, but it's a question worth asking.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I am a SCCA racer and our rules covering yellow flags is covered in our GCR. I was taught that passing under a yellow is not permitted but in the event you were in a pass and you enter a yellow flag zone and you have not completed the pass you are to drop back behind the car you were trying to pass. I have also seen some drivers apply their brakes at the sight of a yellow flag and you end up passing their car. In this case I was told to "when safe" slow down, pull off line and wave the passed car around. If done close to a corner station they should note that you waved the car around.
In case of a pass in progress when the yellow flag is displayed, the
over-taking car is expected to fall back and take station behind
the car he was attempting to pass.
The difference between SCCA and NASA should not change this rule but SCCA has dedicated race officials at their races and It looks to me that NASA officials are more of a part time position and they also drive. If the officials are well trained and apply common sense there should not be an issue. Basic rule is for safety and if you do not gain position there is not an issue.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jmurf28
I am a SCCA racer and our rules covering yellow flags is covered in our GCR. I was taught that passing under a yellow is not permitted but in the event you were in a pass and you enter a yellow flag zone and you have not completed the pass you are to drop back behind the car you were trying to pass. I have also seen some drivers apply their brakes at the sight of a yellow flag and you end up passing their car. In this case I was told to "when safe" slow down, pull off line and wave the passed car around. If done close to a corner station they should note that you waved the car around.
In case of a pass in progress when the yellow flag is displayed, the
over-taking car is expected to fall back and take station behind
the car he was attempting to pass.
The rules for yellow flags are covered in the NASA CCR, too, (i.e. 19.3.4, 19.3.5, 19.3.6, 25.5) but like everything there are nuances that aren't covered, repassing under yellow being one of them. Does the SCCA GCR cover specifically "repassing under yellow?"
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

so if you wanted to screw someone behind you under yellow, you could stomp on the brakes and force a pass?
Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume NASA is the same when it comes to those kinds of situations as Grand-Am is. If you HAVE to pass a car under yellow, AKA the car in front brake checks you, breaks down, or something along those lines, the race directors review it and make a call based on what they saw, not necessarily what is written in the rules. Not that any of the fine drivers in Grand-Am or NASA would EVER brake check you on purpose . That said, in Grand-Am we have a lot more communication between the officials and each car than NASA would. In the past, if I have messed up or want to give someone the position during a caution be it in Grand-Am, NASA, or SCCA, I just give it back to them once we go green again.

For scrubbing, in most club racing if the track is green they won't want you scrubbing or warming up your tires. In Grand-Am some people in practice drive like they're in qualifying, so it just depends on what you want to do. There isn't a rule that says you can only scrub under yellow etc. Basically they tell us to just be smart about it.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mgarfias
so if you wanted to screw someone behind you under yellow, you could stomp on the brakes and force a pass?
If the following driver is not paying attention, perhaps. Hopefully, as a racer you're looking far enough ahead and have brakes comparable to your opponent and won't get caught by his abrupt action. If he does outfox you, you could plead with the race director to invoke rule 25.3.

Again, check with the race director at the pre-race meeting so that everyone has a clear understanding of the region's policy. I know what the SE region says.

It could be that the corner worker doesn't report the infraction so this whole discussion would academic. But just like prepping your car for the race, you better prep your knowledge of the rules.

BTW, have video available.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
In Grand-Am some people in practice drive like they're in qualifying,
NASA too.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
NASA too.
Even worse are those who use the qualifying session as practice time.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
And race during qualifying.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

or those who qualify during the race!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Are you referring to the race this Saturday....? It was so F'd up who knows. When the officials send a tow-truck out in the middle of the race, causing another wreck in doing so, I certainly wouldn't count on them to clarify ANY rules!

Generally, I would not take the re-pass unless instructed to do so by an official. Without radios etc, you might want to wait until a restart and give it back. If the race ends before the correction can be made, a the gentlemanly thing to do would be to correct the issue in impound.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Are you referring to the race this Saturday....? It was so F'd up who knows. When the officials send a tow-truck out in the middle of the race, causing another wreck in doing so, I certainly wouldn't count on them to clarify ANY rules!

What happened?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
Some people in practice drive like they're in qualifying.
Originally Posted by Falcon
Originally Posted by Jason
And race during qualifying.
Originally Posted by Timz06
or those who qualify during the race!
These are just some of the reasons that I think NASA should require at least a few TT events before getting a race license.
(coming from someone who just got his hard card )
Old 07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use radios and when anything like this comes up the crew checks with official before driver changes position. If not corrected in time and if important to driver it can be brought up after the race but it's not like we are racing for anything more than boasting rights.
Back in my NASCAR days if we had an issue we would drive side by side until official made a decision. Most of the time if we did not get mad it worked in our favor

Get notified of new replies

To An issue came up that needs to be clarified...

Quick Reply: An issue came up that needs to be clarified...