Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Question on brakes

For those of u running C5/C6 on HPDE events, do you feel the need to go to big brakes like the c6Zo6 brakes or have u found the normal calipers have worked for u? I'm getting ready to buy tires/wheels to use for track events and not sure whether I need to buy wheels that will clear the big brakes that I may or may not need in the future. Thanks in advance.

Edit - I'm not running my c6 in my avatar but my c5 hardtop.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:08 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
For those of u running C5/C6 on HPDE events, do you feel the need to go to big brakes like the c6Zo6 brakes or have u found the normal calipers have worked for u? I'm getting ready to buy tires/wheels to use for track events and not sure whether I need to buy wheels that will clear the big brakes that I may or may not need in the future. Thanks in advance.

Edit - I'm not running my c6 in my avatar but my c5 hardtop.
For normal HPDE events, your stock calipers should do fine.
Upgrade your brake fluid to something like SRF and then beginning trying more aggressive brake pads.
I spent my first 4 years on stock C6 brakes, including some racing.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For HPDE and TT Stock calipers / rotors are fine with track pads. Bring spare rotors as they do tend to crack.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock brakes are fine, but you need good cooling for track use. DRM ducts with Quantum brake cooling kits work great. You also must use track pads, and I recommend a separate set of track rotors, but the separate rotors are not a must.

Regarding larger wheels: LG, Stoptech and Hardbar make track brakes that fit inside the stock wheels. Others probably do too.

Yes, big brakes are much better, but there are a lot of things to first spend your money on to improve the track worthiness of your car. Cooling for oil, diff, and trans come to mind. So do seats and harness, and a larger radiator.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks guys. I already upgraded to better rotors, high temp brake fluid, hawk pads and braided lines. My stock tires didn't work so hot so I'm buying some R888's I think. So looking to buy some new wheels for them and just run them at track events. Thought I should ask about big brakes before I chose wheels though. Glad to hear my brakes will work ok. I already have some good track seats so good there. Thanks again.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

and if you have too new C6 calipers are not that expensive.

Get good race pads, SRF brake fluid and cooling ducts.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on brakes

Quick Reply: Question on brakes