Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 10 year old bang for the buck on the track, is it the Z06??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts
Default The 10 year old bang for the buck on the track, is it the Z06??

Any track ***** consistently see a car out there that they could potentially see as the adversary to the mildly modded Z for 18k-20k? I don't mean the Miata with 10k invested, I mean another basically stock car that can compete with the basically stock Z. I'd considered the E46 M3 and early 90's NSX with 100k+ miles, but question those just due to the Z06's power advantage and capable handling combined. On technical courses maybe, but I'm just not sure I see them as "better" or even "equivelant" cars for the current buck.

Looking to hear some opinions and see what people are thinking based on what they're seeing at the track.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Lot of people moving to the C6Z at all of the schools I go to. Even the BMW club schools are seeing a lot of them.

Bill
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

The only other "box stock" cars I see that have the potential to be really fast (with a good driver) with relatively no mods, are WRX STi's. However, they don't seem to have the same reliablity as 'Vettes do.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:02 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nothing touches it
Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Nothing touches it
Old 07-22-2011, 09:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my 10 years with most of them using a C5Z, unless the car was a heavily modded race car, I would pass just about everything and that includes TT Porsches and some Ferrari's.

Once I got the cam and suspension I was hanging with full blown gutted race cars. Also the parts for the cars you mentioned are way more expensive. I use to pay $19 for a rotor. Also all of those cars are mostly OHC cars and unless you dump 10k and use turbo's you can't really mod them power wise...$2000 gets you a full cam kit and almost another 85rwhp easily. Try that with a BMW M3.

I've seen BMW race motors that go for $15k and only put out 350hp. How stupid is that!!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

C5Zs are easy to fix, mod and reprogram the computer too.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
C5Zs are easy to fix, mod and reprogram the computer too.
That is one of my pet peaves about the C6. My 01Z didn't have telescoping wheel or tire pressure sensors. So I didn't have to reset sensors or trick the computer when changing from street to track....miss that car.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM
NewFoundPower
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Nothing touches it

Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
I have to thrown in there a Stock EVO X or or 9,8. These cars are hardcore stock....I track an Evo X with a few mods ( cat-back and tune) and they are just awesome on the track. They are also cheap to mod and maintain.... Just a thought...I also track a Vette so I am not bias. I perfer the vette just because it is alot more fun...
Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most on this forum will be biased to the C5Z. I know I am. I bought an 01 C5Z last year with 113K on it. Since then I've put about 4000 track miles on it. The car has been completely reliable and consumables are affordable.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:52 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

I think the Evo is definitely one that slipped past my mind. Evo's with the 4g63 are a definite weapon. You can get those cars for 13k-15k with 5k in mild mods and have a real contender there. Sti's....mehhhh....not without some pretty stout mods. My friend has a 2010 Spec Edition with an accessport stage 1 tune and I was CRUSHING him...his car was 42k.

I know people here are likely to be bias, but we all go to the track and you notice what's fast. The only cars that touch me on the track that are driven to the track are $80k-100k Porsches/well modded BMW's and it never stops amazing me what a monster these Z06's are for the money. Even yesterday I was tearing up a couple caged/slicked/gutted C4's...I kind of felt bad...lol. I guess that's my soft spot because I got rid of my 92 6spd car this year.

Main reason that I began this whole mental search is that I have a track prepared Miata and being the only cars I've ever driven on the track were 3 generations of Corvettes (C4, C5Z06, C6ZR1), Lexus LFA, CTS-V's and FFR GTM's the Miata just doesn't do it.....at all. Awesome autox car (or spec Miata), but you can just about drive like a fool in that car and not get into trouble compared to what I'm used to. Unless your going wheel to wheel with other Miata's that thing can put you to sleep on long tracks. The Z06 is more my weekend cruiser/street ripper and I have access to an E36 M3 I was considering building. From there my mind wandered to "when I sell my C5Z, could I NOT automatically go to a C6Z"...I have to say the answers got to be no. With C6Z's going for 35k-42k, once again, nothing competes with it that isn't heavily modded/built. I'm gonna be stuck with Vette's forever since I buy everything cash due to suck credit. So until I can afford a Lambo in cash, then vette's are forever I guess...haha.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Maybe I can chime in. I spend a lot of time at the track, running with different clubs and organizations. I recently got a C5Z for the performance/price ratio, expecting it to be a challenge and perhaps even fun to drive. I've been astounded by the fact that it really isn't all that hard to drive fast, is A LOT of fun with the right mods, and yes, the performance is unbelievable.

I had an E36 M3 which was completely stock including stock suspension before. I'm not a slow driver, but in the advanced and instructor groups, I used to get passed by a few cars because of the performance advantage. Now, I'm passing GTRs, hanging with Vipers and Locost track-only cars, and the only cars that are still untouchable are Stohr/Radical type cars.

I bought my C5Z in the low 20's, with all the mods except injectors already on it. 500 engine hp, T1 suspension, seats, harness, 6-point roll hoop, coolers... all the good stuff.

I drive to the track, leave a lot of rubber on it, then drive back. If I could just get this STUPID gas tank problem fixed, as well as get back the electronic nannies (well, at least ABS), it would just be pure bliss.

Caveat: consumables are a killer. But otherwise, I can't see another car with a better price/performance ratio on track, including EVOs and STis which have a lot of unreliable plumbing and are boring to drive. And word is getting out: I'm seeing at least double the number of 'vettes at track days as last year.

Watch out, us Canadians are out to buy all your used 'vettes...

Last edited by sebdavid; 07-22-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In TTA (spec C5 Z06) the only thing I've seen hang with a C5Z for the past 4 years is an EVO, and I do not know the level of modification it has. I would say that the reliability is not there, but I can not confirm that with data.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sebdavid
I had an E36 M3 which was completely stock including stock suspension before. I'm not a slow driver, but in the advanced and instructor groups, I used to get passed by a few cars because of the performance advantage. Now, I'm passing GTRs, hanging with Vipers and Locost track-only cars, and the only cars that are still untouchable are Stohr/Radical type cars.

I bought my car in the low 20's, with all the mods except injectors already on it. 500 engine hp, T1 suspension, seats, harness, 6-point roll hoop, coolers... all the good stuff.

What are the engine specs if you don't mind? Curious if it's an LS7 or modded LS6. I feel like I'm starting to approach the limits of what the stock LS6 can do.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

I've driven many cars both on and off the race track. To purchase a vehicle for 20k to compete with the C5 Z06 is just about impossible. Some do however come close, the evo ix RS, AP2 S2000, and maybe the STI's. That's pretty much it.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Originally Posted by TS Motorsport
I've driven many cars both on and off the race track. To purchase a vehicle for 20k to compete with the C5 Z06 is just about impossible. Some do however come close, the evo ix RS, AP2 S2000, and maybe the STI's. That's pretty much it.
I've driven my C5Z on and off the race track too. I typically go off the race track every event

Get notified of new replies

To The 10 year old bang for the buck on the track, is it the Z06??

Old 07-22-2011, 02:45 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Maybe I can chime in. I spend a lot of time at the track, running with different clubs and organizations. I got a C5Z for the performance/price ratio, expecting it to be a challenge and perhaps even fun to drive. I've been astounded by the fact that it really isn't all that hard to drive fast, is A LOT of fun with the right mods, and yes, the performance is unbelievable.

I bought my car in the low 20's, with all the mods except injectors already on it. 500 engine hp, T1 suspension, seats, harness, 6-point roll hoop, coolers... all the good stuff.

I drive to the track, leave a lot of rubber on it, then drive back. If I could just get this STUPID gas tank problem fixed, as well as get back the electronic nannies (well, at least ABS), it would just be pure bliss.

Caveat: consumables are a killer. But otherwise, I can't see another car with a better price/performance ratio on track, including EVOs and STis which have a lot of unreliable plumbing and are boring to drive. And word is getting out: I'm seeing at least double the number of 'vettes at track days as last year.

Watch out, us Canadians are out to buy all your used 'vettes...
That sounds like a HELL of an M3! You really typed out my thoughts though for sure. I tell people all the time about how the C5Z is SUCH a predictable car and is just a testament to it's design and balance. You can drive this car HARD and feel completely comfortable as if your not working that hard. The GTM's I drive, while faster, are far more penalizing for small errors and upsets. It's what makes me truly enjoy driving Corvettes versus literally anything else. Nothing seems to be as fast, while doing it with such confidence, shy of buying a $100k Porsche.

The M3 I have access to is an R-title car (but it was not wrecked, it was a theft recov). It has 98k miles is super clean and stock. I have a total of 4k in this car and it's a 95...so OBD1! I'm thinkin sell the Miata, prep the M3...shake it down for a while on HPDE days then run GTS2 or something? Time availability is a big problem for me, so maybe just an aero'd out HPDE car would do...travel to some further tracks maybe when I have time available. I'd never do great in a series because I just don't have the consistent weekend availability due to the fact I run a custom car based business and everything happens on weekends.

I hate to build a car from stock because buying a prepped car is such a HUGE savings every time....but I am starting out with a CHEAP M3. Those cars still sell for 10k with under 100k miles. So, in a way, I may still do alright on cost. Plus I have all the facilities in house to do the entire prep: paint, cage, dyno, chassis setup, etc.

I'm thinkin that the M3, even despite not having 400hp, even with 270 may still make for an effectively fast track car somewhat like a Z06 due to it's handling ability and balanced chassis. You think?

Last edited by RC000E; 07-22-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
What are the engine specs if you don't mind? Curious if it's an LS7 or modded LS6. I feel like I'm starting to approach the limits of what the stock LS6 can do.
I'm not competent but it has head, cam, throttle body, injectors, long tubes, intake and a conservative tune... that's all I can think of. It's an LS6. 407whp on a Mustang dyno tuned for 91 octane.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Sebdavid...I misread that you had a 500hp M3 eating GTR's....haha. I gotcha now...

Quick Reply: The 10 year old bang for the buck on the track, is it the Z06??