Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing / Competitive Driving

Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Racing / Competitive Driving

My first track event in the 2011 z, with the Z07 package,is going to be Roebling Road in October. With that in mind I thought I would read the manual,pretty crazy idea.
On 9-7 it states that the tire pressure should be set at 26 psi.,with a max. speed of 143 mph. Since I never read that far into the manual before I was just setting it at 30 psi.I always ask for advise at the track but I never get the same answer twice.Guys are running from 25 to 35 on the stock tires. Has anyone run different pressures the same day on the same track?

On 10-67 it states that if you are driving over 175 mph the pressure needs to be set at 38 psi. I quess thats if you make the wrong turn on the Interstate and end up on the Autobahn.
Some other interesting things in the Racing section.Change brake fluid to 534F dry boiling. Grease tie rods every track day. Change rear axle fluid every 24 hrs. of track time.

Last edited by Z07 Ed; 07-20-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Wrong number of hours
Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty cool, actually. How many manuals have that kind of info? Normally it would be "get anywhere near a racetrack and forget all about warranty, support, we will deny your very existence"...

Re: tire pressures, I am learning what works on my car: 2003 Z06, some engine mods, T1 suspension, 315 rear and 275 front Falken Azenis RT-615.

I was used to running about 39 hot on my previous car, but it seems the wiiiiiide wheels and perhaps the stiffer suspension require way lower tire pressures to avoid wearing out the center part of the tire, and to get better, more even grip.

It's starting to look like starting at 25-27 cold is the way to go, with hot pressures at about 34-35. I get relatively even surface temps with the pyrometer, and wear is pretty good.

But obviously your mileage will vary depending on your driving, the specific tires you're using as well as their size, and even the type of suspension and alignment you have on the car.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt you'll see 175 mph on the front straight at Roebling. You can easily get around Roebling in a C6Z in 4th gear. Redline in 4th is about 160 mph. Recommend you start with 30 psi front, 28 psi rear, cold pressures.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

When did they start putting that type of stuff in the Owner's Manual? The racing and competitive driving section in my 08 Manual just says to maintain engine oil level and grease the rear toe links once per day.

Bill
Old 07-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When did they start putting that type of stuff in the Owner's Manual? The racing and competitive driving section in my 08 Manual just says to maintain engine oil level and grease the rear toe links once per day.

Bill
I don't know,but it is in my 2011 manual and my friends 2010.I have a Z06 and he has a ZR1.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:28 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For street tires, I usually go by what it says on the driver door.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:48 PM
michaeldale
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZO7 Ed,

I have the exact same car as you (including color - nice choice). I ran at VIR in the NCM event about 3 weeks ago. It was hot and humid. I tried 30#, 32#, and 35# starting (cold, if you call it that) pressures. The tires always gained about 2# during our 20 minutes session. I'm pretty aggressive, so I would think this would be a nominal pressure rise for someone driving hard. I got the best handling from the 32# starting pressure. At 30 it seemed roll a bit in the corners and 35 made it a little "skittish."
Replace your brake fluid with Motul 600, it's one of the best and easy to find. Be sure and change your oil to Mobil 15w50 just prior to track day.
You'll be amazed at the brakes - they just keep getting better as they get hotter. Unless someone else has CS brakes, you'll out brake everyone there.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Start with the fronts 2-3 PSI higher than the rears.

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Z07 Ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by michaeldale
ZO7 Ed,

I have the exact same car as you (including color - nice choice). I ran at VIR in the NCM event about 3 weeks ago. It was hot and humid. I tried 30#, 32#, and 35# starting (cold, if you call it that) pressures. The tires always gained about 2# during our 20 minutes session. I'm pretty aggressive, so I would think this would be a nominal pressure rise for someone driving hard. I got the best handling from the 32# starting pressure. At 30 it seemed roll a bit in the corners and 35 made it a little "skittish."
Replace your brake fluid with Motul 600, it's one of the best and easy to find. Be sure and change your oil to Mobil 15w50 just prior to track day.
You'll be amazed at the brakes - they just keep getting better as they get hotter. Unless someone else has CS brakes, you'll out brake everyone there.
My Avatar is the 2006 Z I sold, which was Victory Red. New one is now Torch Red with the Comp. Gray wheels.
My friend was out at Roebling Road with his ZR1. It was a event run by a Porsche Club out of Florida. His instructor was a Porsche guy and He could not believe how good the brakes where.

Get notified of new replies

To Racing / Competitive Driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racing / Competitive Driving