Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ask riders to sign a waiver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone ask riders to sign a waiver?

I've been giving rides to some people lately and have become concerned about liability - especially since there was a major crash w/ injuries to a passenger at the last TrackDaze event at VIR.

My wife is a pilot and flies a vintage warbird and always insists on a waiver for any and all passengers. Heck, I believe I even signed a waiver to ride with her.

Does anybody use waivers? Are there any applicable forms specifically for track use that are available? There are GP waivers available on the web but the general nature of these forms could possibly get it tossed out of court.

At $300/hr, I'm not to keen on hiring an attorney to do a custom waiver. For now, I just say no, can't do it, and in an incredible show of strength, I even turned down one good lookin' babe that was wanting a ride.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For that reason "NO RIDERS"
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you answered you own question. Even with a waiver you will go to court if they want to sue you. So how many hr. can you afford @ 300 or even 200? If you don't want to spend for an hour to get a waiver I doubt you wants days for even a dismissal.

I removed my passenger seat. Saves any asking.

I even turned down one good lookin' babe that was wanting a ride.
Mrs. Warbird read the forum?

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:48 PM
rbl
Drifting

I agree with John and essentially the waiver is worth just about what the paper and ink is worth. a passenger can not waive your negligence and crashing your car in a wall is negligent ... one way or another. Driver error, should have inspected it, should have done maintenance, prove you did that maintenance ... etc.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:49 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I've been giving rides to some people lately and have become concerned about liability - especially since there was a major crash w/ injuries to a passenger at the last TrackDaze event at VIR.

My wife is a pilot and flies a vintage warbird and always insists on a waiver for any and all passengers. Heck, I believe I even signed a waiver to ride with her.

Does anybody use waivers? Are there any applicable forms specifically for track use that are available? There are GP waivers available on the web but the general nature of these forms could possibly get it tossed out of court.

At $300/hr, I'm not to keen on hiring an attorney to do a custom waiver. For now, I just say no, can't do it, and in an incredible show of strength, I even turned down one good lookin' babe that was wanting a ride.

Jim
The real question is!!!!!!!! is your wife turning down good looking guys?? LOL! I'm going with no more rides also, the liability is just to high if something should happen. The times they are a changing! JD
Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

What planes does she fly? I just saw some at an air show. Real nice!

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-13-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rbl
I agree with John and essentially the waiver is worth just about what the paper and ink is worth. a passenger can not waive your negligence and crashing your car in a wall is negligent ... one way or another. Driver error, should have inspected it, should have done maintenance, prove you did that maintenance ... etc.
Even if you waiver is air tight you still have to go to court with a lawyer to defend the waiver. I have been in business 36 years commercial masonry. In court once I had to sue person I was best man for, raced boat with (partner) for 15 years, lent money to start business 30 grand in 1985, and godfather to son. Sued him for 50,000 and it cost me over 17-18,000 to win. I even made a deal with the lawyer before hand or by the hour it would have been even more. I didn't care if it cost my last nickel I was right. That was enough court for me for a lifetime. Court sucks even a traffic ticket.

I still think you could also get sued as an instructor also which is sad even with a waiver from club personally.

I get waivers for other trades using / being on my scaffold. Lawyer wrote it up and then told me I'll still be in court even if waiver does it's job 100%.

Everyone is a friend or buddy till something happens. I mean if I take for a friend for a ride at the track serious injuries occur like out of work for a good stretch or permanent disabilities how could he not sue me? They have no choice I would not expect anything else. I mean if I take a person for a ride and he gets a small bruise and sues I'll choke him. It's a sue society and I cringe to think about all the possibilities while on track that could happen or even in the pits going slow. My car hasn't moved in 2-3 years but I still pay the insurance because if they saw it now forget about it. I would hope I would be covered going in the pits or loading on the trailer in the street for a minimum. The cars value I could care less about.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-13-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
What planes does she fly? I just saw some at an air show. Real nice!
John,
She flies a T-28B. They only go as far west as Oshkosh to the big show. All of the other air shows she goes to are on the east coast.

BTW - she saw the chick asking for a ride.

The probability of ending up in court is convincing against rides.

I'm going with no riders other than the wifey.
Thanks for the responses!
Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I usually just go hard enough that there is no chance of limping away for either party if it all goes awry
Old 06-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As an instructor, taking them for a ride is a great tool.
As a non instructor, chuck the passenger seat.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

John,

I'm going with no riders other than the wifey.
Thanks for the responses!
Jim
Just make sure SHE signs the waiver.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:25 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Even if you waiver is air tight you still have to go to court with a lawyer to defend the waiver. I have been in business 36 years commercial masonry. In court once I had to sue person I was best man for, raced boat with (partner) for 15 years, lent money to start business 30 grand in 1985, and godfather to son. Sued him for 50,000 and it cost me over 17-18,000 to win. I even made a deal with the lawyer before hand or by the hour it would have been even more. I didn't care if it cost my last nickel I was right. That was enough court for me for a lifetime. Court sucks even a traffic ticket.

I still think you could also get sued as an instructor also which is sad even with a waiver from club personally.

I get waivers for other trades using / being on my scaffold. Lawyer wrote it up and then told me I'll still be in court even if waiver does it's job 100%.

Everyone is a friend or buddy till something happens. I mean if I take for a friend for a ride at the track serious injuries occur like out of work for a good stretch or permanent disabilities how could he not sue me? They have no choice I would not expect anything else. I mean if I take a person for a ride and he gets a small bruise and sues I'll choke him. It's a sue society and I cringe to think about all the possibilities while on track that could happen or even in the pits going slow. My car hasn't moved in 2-3 years but I still pay the insurance because if they saw it now forget about it. I would hope I would be covered going in the pits or loading on the trailer in the street for a minimum. The cars value I could care less about.
John, I realize this isn't the PR&C section of this site, so I won't be too expansive on my reply,but what you described is IMHO truly the heart of what ails this country today, with regulations a close second.

People are jsut too afraid to do much anymore because of the cost to defend. I once spent $125,000 to defend a case that was complete BS (at least I though it was!); it gets tiring.

You and I can disagree every once in a while on polotical issues, but based on what you wrote, we are in compete agreement on that subject.

Peace my friend.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:46 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

John,
She flies a T-28B. They only go as far west as Oshkosh to the big show. All of the other air shows she goes to are on the east coast.
I got a ride in a T-28 in 1986 before I joined the Navy. What a great airplane. Over 1400 hp from that huge radial engine. Takes a boot full of rudder to keep pointed down the runway on the takeoff roll.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jason
As an instructor, taking them for a ride is a great tool.
As a non instructor, chuck the passenger seat.
how much protection do you really have as an instructor/passenger or an instructor driving someone's car with them in it? How much does the event really cover you?

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-13-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Legally? None. Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
John, I realize this isn't the PR&C section of this site, so I won't be too expansive on my reply,but what you described is IMHO truly the heart of what ails this country today, with regulations a close second.

People are jsut too afraid to do much anymore because of the cost to defend. I once spent $125,000 to defend a case that was complete BS (at least I though it was!); it gets tiring.

You and I can disagree every once in a while on polotical issues, but based on what you wrote, we are in compete agreement on that subject.

Peace my friend.
The more I think about tracking the car the more nervous I get legally. Economy has basically shut me down due to near zero business. Before that it was health of other people and my pets. If I get the car together this year I'd like an event or two but I am getting more nervous about lawsuits. Sucks not to run but the addiction is less after being away from it a while. I haven't even driven my GS in few years bar 60 miles it just sits.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Also, remember that NY and TX are the two states where one doesn't have to prove GROSS negligence. Any kind of negligence or appearance thereof and your goose is cooked.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ask riders to sign a waiver?

Quick Reply: Anyone ask riders to sign a waiver?