Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:48 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs?

I have done 7 track days and have 4 more in June. I am running a 2007 c6 with F55 Magnetic Selective. I have upgraded to track pads and just installed a hotchkis sway bar as I felt I was getting too much roll. I put the rear in the soft position to start can't wait to try it out on Watkins Glen.

I am toying with adding Z06 Springs. Any advise or comments to what I would gain or issure I would have? I and thinking it will keep the nose for dipping on heavy braking. Is it worth it? How dificult are they to install? Will they bolt right up? Is anyone running this combination?

Thank you for any help.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

I are running 305/30/19 in the rear and 265/35/18 in the front for tires Hankook
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That bar will probably give you too much understeer; you're car will feel / have less grip. The Z51 springs would go nicely with those shocks. The front springs on Z51 and Z06 are almost the same up front, but the rear is softer on Z51 which is more suited to putting down the power on the 6.2. I'd do Z51 bars and springs. GM put lots of engineering into these setups...
Old 06-12-2011, 07:52 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

sounds reasonable what is the install like? Can I lift it on ramps and just unbolt the bracket and drop the spring or is it more involed?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro
sounds reasonable what is the install like? Can I lift it on ramps and just unbolt the bracket and drop the spring or is it more involed?
I recently changed my Z-51 springs and shocks to Z06 (I already had Z06 sway bars) and I am happy with the difference. Much less body roll and less pitching under acceleration and braking. I also have Z06 body panels, wheels and tires...so I don't know how they would be with stock sized tires.

Regarding your question about the process for changing out the springs...it isn't to hard, but it does take a little time. The only tools that I had to buy was a ball joint separator and crow feet (for torquing the ball joints). The Pfadt website has good instructions, under coil over installation, that cover the spring removal. Basically you need to separate the ball joint and remove the upper suspension and a shock on one side...then, you can remove the spring. After everything is reassembled you need to have the car realigned.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

do you want to sell your z51? I am interested if you want to sell
Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

do you want to sell your z51? I am interested if you want to sell
Sorry, I already sold them. To give you an idea of price...I think I sold the springs and shocks for $175, and the rear sway bar for $75.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM
torque*is*cheap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I recently changed my Z-51 springs and shocks to Z06 (I already had Z06 sway bars) and I am happy with the difference. Much less body roll and less pitching under acceleration and braking. I also have Z06 body panels, wheels and tires...so I don't know how they would be with stock sized tires.

Regarding your question about the process for changing out the springs...it isn't to hard, but it does take a little time. The only tools that I had to buy was a ball joint separator and crow feet (for torquing the ball joints). The Pfadt website has good instructions, under coil over installation, that cover the spring removal. Basically you need to separate the ball joint and remove the upper suspension and a shock on one side...then, you can remove the spring. After everything is reassembled you need to have the car realigned.
I recently removed my rear spring so that I could remove/modify the ride height adjusters, and it required unbolting one of the lower A-arms where it attaches to the subframe. Shocks, links, and everything else can remain attached.

If you carefully mark the eccentric adjusters on the pivot bolts, you can reassemble without needing to realign...won't be perfect, but very close.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by torque*is*cheap
If you carefully mark the eccentric adjusters on the pivot bolts, you can reassemble without needing to realign...won't be perfect, but very close.
That is true as long as you get the ride height set exactly the same as it was before. If you change ride height, you changed camber and toe.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done 7 track days and have 4 more in June. I am running a 2007 c6 with F55 Magnetic Selective. I have upgraded to track pads and just installed a hotchkis sway bar as I felt I was getting too much roll. I put the rear in the soft position to start can't wait to try it out on Watkins Glen.

I am toying with adding Z06 Springs. Any advise or comments to what I would gain or issure I would have? I and thinking it will keep the nose for dipping on heavy braking. Is it worth it? How dificult are they to install? Will they bolt right up? Is anyone running this combination?

Thank you for any help.
You should run the springs with the appropriate shocks. The shocks are valved for their respective springs. I may have a complete set with sway bars if you are intersted.

Get notified of new replies

To springs?

Quick Reply: springs?