Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 cross brace alternatives

Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C4 cross brace alternatives

Has anyone come up with a substitute for the factory cross brace? (Besides R-D, which is expensive and heavier[?])

home made?

Does the brace control compression?

Just extension?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Mine met an untimely demise, and I am cosidering alternatives. I have access to a welder, and could use some creative ideas.

Thanks-
'92, convertible, and sees regular autox and track days
Old 06-10-2011, 02:31 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vette2vette has a frame stiffener bar system. But I haven't heard any reviews. Says it weighs 25 lbs.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR
Vette2vette has a frame stiffener bar system. But I haven't heard any reviews. Says it weighs 25 lbs.
Any idea where/how it installs? The website seems to skip over that.

Oh, and I do race NCCC. Since the factory parts are not available, I can try and make/substitute with a like product. The Vette2vette system look interesting though.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I think the vette2vette system will be a problem for NCCC
I'd either source a stock replacement or use some flat stock and make one that mounts in the same places - don't forget to clearance for the exhaust.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I think the vette2vette system will be a problem for NCCC
I'd either source a stock replacement or use some flat stock and make one that mounts in the same places - don't forget to clearance for the exhaust.
I tried to find a used one, and when it arrived it was bent too. I guess it is time to get creative. Know anyone that has built one?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:54 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The R-D brace does not attach to the body pan like the factory C4 convertible brace does. So that alone won't be a big help on 'verts.

IIRC, the factory brace metal is not that thick. The strength comes from the stamping that creates the ribs and valleys.

Can you bend the brace you found back to the original shape? The factory brace is two-piece so maybe you can find one more that has a straight piece to replace the one that is bent. If the bend is bad enough, do the rules allow you to cut the bend out and weld in the same piece from another factory brace??
Old 06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

It was pretty badly bent. If I bend it back, I think it will lose whatever strength it had to begin with. (yes, thin stamped metal) I can replace it with something of similar design/function since it is no longer available.

No one has built their own?
Old 06-11-2011, 01:23 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Thought about it for my coupe - but after the roll bar was installed the thought went away. The rest of the cage will make it a forgotten memory.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Rag Top
Instructor

I am not ready to cut up the car, or pay for a custom roll bar yet. (Have not found one that will fit under the hard top.)

Get notified of new replies

To C4 cross brace alternatives

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 cross brace alternatives