Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking News: Johnny O'Connell selects a car for 24 hours of Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Breaking News: Johnny O'Connell selects a car for 24 hours of Nurburgring

A Renault Clio! Seriously!

Johnny O'Connell and Pfadt Race Engineering are teaming up this year to race the 24 Hours of Nürburgring with our partners Jet Black Racing! For those that aren't familiar with Jet Black Racing, they are introducing a rock and roll edge into the racing world... turning the 24 Hours of Nürburgring into not just a race, but a 3 day event! It should be a really fun trip, and even more fun seeing Johnny drive a Clio!

This is the first year that Jet Black Racing has been rocking the international endurance race scene. It has so far been very successful season for Jet Black Racing, placing 8th in the 24 hours of Dubai with 409 Laps completed and being the only team to race under the American Flag. More recently they placed 2nd in the A2 2000cc touring car class at the 12 Hours of Hungary. Now with O'Connell joining the team they have Nürburgring in their sights!

The race weekend will begin Thursday June 23rd, and complete on Sunday June 26th. You can follow your favorite teams at the official 24 Hours of Nürburgring website linked below.

You can find more information at Jet Black Racing's Website or the 24 Hours of Nürburgring Website.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I rented a track prepped Clio Cup car and drove the ring in May. Fun, but need to learn the track!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
I rented a track prepped Clio Cup car and drove the ring in May. Fun, but need to learn the track!
me too ! a blast but toooooooooo many turns to learn !
Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
how much did that run ya? would love to run the ring some day
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just there two weeks ago for my third track day. I rented the Clio Cup from RSR Nurburg. www.rsrnurburg.com. It was 849 euro for 10 laps including fuel and lap tickets, or 1275 euro for 16 laps all included. I have used RSR every time, and they provide great service; I highly recommend them.

I thought the Clio Cup (an RS Sport) was a very capable and fun track car. It is stock except for pads and perhaps an alignment. I wish we could buy a car like that here. (2,650 lbs, big Brembos, 200HP 2.0 liter with a 7,400 redline, track ready suspension, 6-speed, excellent seats) Well, I gues the departed Cobalt SS was close. They also rent the Renault Megane R.26R (another car I drove that is amazing, and we can't get here), M3, Exige, and GT3RS.

After 36 laps on the track, and who knows how many on Forza / Xbox360 during the past 2 years, I can now say I know every turn. Do I know all the myriad of nuances? Heck no! The chamber and elevation changes, both subtle and massive are everywhere, and most of the turns are linked. What a great technical track!

If you are a track junkie, this experience can not be overrated!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z06trackman
I was just there two weeks ago for my third track day. I rented the Clio Cup from RSR Nurburg. www.rsrnurburg.com. It was 849 euro for 10 laps including fuel and lap tickets, or 1275 euro for 16 laps all included. I have used RSR every time, and they provide great service; I highly recommend them.

I thought the Clio Cup (an RS Sport) was a very capable and fun track car. It is stock except for pads and perhaps an alignment. I wish we could buy a car like that here. (2,650 lbs, big Brembos, 200HP 2.0 liter with a 7,400 redline, track ready suspension, 6-speed, excellent seats) Well, I gues the departed Cobalt SS was close. They also rent the Renault Megane R.26R (another car I drove that is amazing, and we can't get here), M3, Exige, and GT3RS.

After 36 laps on the track, and who knows how many on Forza / Xbox360 during the past 2 years, I can now say I know every turn. Do I know all the myriad of nuances? Heck no! The chamber and elevation changes, both subtle and massive are everywhere, and most of the turns are linked. What a great technical track!

If you are a track junkie, this experience can not be overrated!
I got mine from RSR as well. Not cheap, but if you want to do it correctly and not worry about anything that's the way you have to go. It turned out to be about $500 for an hour on track (all inclusive.)

I may try to take a rental car out there next time to get some more experience and learn the track.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

that experience would be worth the $500 per hour i would say
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

How many other opportunities will you have to run a truly historic race track in a car that you don't own? I would definitely do a track package like you guys mentioned. If you're only going to do it once, you might as well do it right!

We are going to be out at the 24 Hours of Nürburgring offering track side engineering support for the Jet Black Clio. At Pfadt we are all really excited to get back out to Nürburgring and help a really great team go even faster on track.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

So we've been receiving some pictures from Germany. The Clio actually looks really fun, just not in a Corvette kind of way! We will be keeping this thread updated as we get news and more photos from the event.

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking News: Johnny O'Connell selects a car for 24 hours of Nurburgring

Quick Reply: Breaking News: Johnny O'Connell selects a car for 24 hours of Nurburgring