Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM refocusing product line

Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GM refocusing product line

Last Updated: June 06. 2011 1:00AM
GM refocusing product line
Cadillac, Chevy to be global; push on for groundbreaking technology
David Shepardson and Christina Rogers/ The Detroit News

General Motors Co. is rethinking its brand strategy — aiming for just two global brands — and intends to spend billions of dollars over the next five years on advanced propulsion systems.

The extended-range electric Chevrolet Volt, said GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson, "is a novelty (today), but it won't be in five years. It's going to be an old, old technology and old news."

Next year, Akerson said, GM will unveil a bifuel engine for commercial trucks that will run on compressed natural gas or gasoline.

"In the next 10 years," he said, "this company has to break the code on advanced propulsion and that's going to be a multifaceted solution."

Ethanol, he predicted, is "going to die slowly." Hydrogen fuel cells, which GM is researching, are currently too costly and lack the infrastructure to support them.

The move toward more fuel-efficient and alternative-fuel vehicles comes as the government prepares to order stricter fuel-efficiency requirements.

Already this year, GM shifted some production from trucks to cars. "We tried to readjust inventories this month on trucks, but we have about where we want to be," he said. "We're going to be very careful about trucks."

Eventually, Akerson said, "we're not going to do these big, heavy trucks that are making 15 miles, 12 miles to a gallon."

Akerson wants to boost sales of luxury cars, and next summer will launch two new Cadillacs: the XTS and an unnamed compact. "They're not going to blow the doors off," he said, "but they will be very competitive."

The full-size XTS will replace the DTS and STS; the ATS is a small sedan and will be built in Lansing.

Cadillac is key to the future GM has plotted for itself. Of its four remaining brands, Akerson wants just two to be sold on a global basis: Cadillac and Chevy.

GM's brand strategy helped push the company into bankruptcy, Akerson said. "The beginning of the end, brand equity was destroyed, brand attributes were diffused; it was just absolutely the wrong thing to do."

He said he believes Chevrolet "is going to be a killer brand," for the global market, but said Cadillac "isn't ready" for that role yet, and won't be for 12 to 24 months.

"You've got to come up with a premium brand that's got to be global — that's Cadillac," he said.

He's dismissive of a Cadillac competitor — Ford's struggling luxury brand, Lincoln. "They are trying like hell to resurrect Lincoln. Well, I might as well tell you, you might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," Akerson said.

A Ford spokesman, Christian Bokich, declined comment.

GM's Buick brand will focus on North America and China; GMC will stay in North America.

Toyota Motor Corp., which Akerson calls GM's "analogue," has succeeded by selling lots of its Prius, Corolla and Camry models. He wants GM to follow a similar strategy.

"If we produce 8 million cars this year, we have to have three or four models that we produce as half of those models," he said.

Akerson, who became CEO Sept. 1 and board chairman Jan. 1, already is weighing in on new vehicles. He recently greenlighted the next generation of the compact Chevrolet Cruze, but vetoed a new engine for a sports car set for production in 18 months.

In the meantime, two vehicles key to GM's lineup are scheduled to launch: the subcompact Sonic in August and the 2013 midsize Malibu in late December or January. The Malibu launch, originally planned for August 2012, was accelerated by eight months.

Akerson said he got some pushback from within GM on moving up the Malibu. "My point is this is war; if we don't get our fighter up, we're going to have a hard time here."

David Cole, chairman emeritus of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, cautioned against trying to get new vehicles out too fast. "You have to be careful about quality," Cole said. "It's a balancing act."

While GM is ramping up activity on some vehicles and brands, it's reining in other efforts. Akerson confirmed GM killed a planned SRX plug-in hybrid even though "I was actually in favor of it.

"I was disappointed that the product development team wanted to kill it, (but) they came in with compelling research," he said. The plug-in "will be back, but it won't be on the SRX."

dshepardson@detnews.com

(202) 662-8735

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110606/...#ixzz1OV3uEHYp
Old 06-06-2011, 09:18 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
He recently greenlighted the next generation of the compact Chevrolet Cruze, but vetoed a new engine for a sports car set for production in 18 months.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:35 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

He's dismissive of a Cadillac competitor — Ford's struggling luxury brand, Lincoln. "They are trying like hell to resurrect Lincoln. Well, I might as well tell you, you might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," Akerson said.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

GM refocuses every 18 months. Usually in the opposite direction from the previous 18 months.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jason
GM refocuses every 18 months. Usually in the opposite direction from the previous 18 months.
don't see that happening with the new management in place. Does look like no new motor for C7. Trucks may be headed for dual fuels with natural gas one of them.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

This would be comical, if it wasn't for all of our money they stole.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

don't see that happening with the new management in place. Does look like no new motor for C7. Trucks may be headed for dual fuels with natural gas one of them.
The truck thing sucks. Perhaps if GM used that 4.5L diesel they had laying up on the shelf with tooling and all they'd have demand for trucks. But the only nat. gas. engine I know of in recent memory is the old faithful 8.1L... but it was discontinued as an industrial engine recently.

GM will change its mind about 30 times before picking the most mediocre option.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
The truck thing sucks. Perhaps if GM used that 4.5L diesel they had laying up on the shelf with tooling and all they'd have demand for trucks. But the only nat. gas. engine I know of in recent memory is the old faithful 8.1L... but it was discontinued as an industrial engine recently.

GM will change its mind about 30 times before picking the most mediocre option.
they are coming out with bi-fuel vehicles which will run on two types of fuel I think.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

They only found room for one 26 gal. tank on my Duramax. How are they going to find room for 2 tanks with passable integrity??
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by southern_son
They only found room for one 26 gal. tank on my Duramax. How are they going to find room for 2 tanks with passable integrity??
just my guess from what they said. They can't stop making trucks. If I had all the answers I'd be a engineer at GM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
This would be comical, if it wasn't for all of our money they stole.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
...and after they fire the current management team...
Old 06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does look like no new motor for C7.
Is this the 125 hp/L 3.2L TT V6?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Is this the 125 hp/L 3.2L TT V6?
It runs on Hope and Change
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Last Updated: June 07. 2011 1:00AM
GM's Akerson pushing for higher gas taxes
David Shepardson and Christina Rogers/ The Detroit News

Detroit — General Motors Co. CEO Dan Akerson wants the federal gas tax boosted as much as $1 a gallon to nudge consumers toward more fuel-efficient cars, and he's confident the government will soon shed its remaining 26 percent stake in the once-bankrupt automaker.

"I actually think the government will be out this year — within the next 12 months, hopefully within the next six months," Akerson said in a two-hour interview with The Detroit News last week.

He is grateful for the government's rescue of GM — "I have nothing but good things to say about them" — but Akerson said the time for that relationship to end is coming because it's wearing on GM.

"It's kind of like your in-laws: It was a nice long weekend. We didn't say a week," Akerson said with a laugh.

And while he is eager to say goodbye to the government as a part owner of GM, Akerson would like to see it step up to the challenge of setting a higher gas tax, as part of a comprehensive energy policy.

A government-imposed tax hike, Akerson believes, will prompt more people to buy small cars and do more good for the environment than forcing automakers to comply with higher gas-mileage standards.

"There ought to be a discussion on the cost versus the benefits," he said. "What we are going to do is tax production here, and that will cost us jobs."

For the years 2017-25, federal officials are considering 3 percent to 6 percent annual fuel efficiency increases, or 47 mpg to 62 mpg. That could boost the cost of vehicles by up to $3,500.

"You know what I'd rather have them do — this will make my Republican friends puke — as gas is going to go down here now, we ought to just slap a 50-cent or a dollar tax on a gallon of gas," Akerson said.

"People will start buying more Cruzes and they will start buying less Suburbans."

With gas already over $4 a gallon in parts of the country, a higher gas tax is a hard sell.

Rebecca Lindland, an analyst with IHS Global Insight, said higher gas taxes in Europe did lead consumers to buy more fuel-efficient cars.

But she acknowledged that's virtually impossible to see in the United States.

"It's career suicide for a politician to call for raising gas taxes," Lindland said.

Akerson isn't the first auto exec to float the idea of a gas tax to encourage consumers to buy fuel-efficient vehicles. Ford Chairman Bill Ford Jr. has previously advocated a gas tax increase.

On Monday, a Ford spokeswoman said the company "will leave the policy decision to Congress"; in 2009, GM CEO Rick Wagoner called a higher gas tax "worthy of consideration."
Stock boost sought

Akerson believes the Treasury's continued ownership stake in GM — 500 million shares — is dragging down its stock price, which has fallen 23 percent this year, and closed Monday at $28.56. That's well below the $33-per-share it fetched in November's $23 billion initial public stock offering.

"I think that it is an overhang — to have 500 million shares sitting out there — it's a problem," Akerson said, adding that unrest in the Middle East and oil prices also are depressing GM's share price. "They don't know when (the Treasury is) going to come out. Investors hate uncertainty."

David Whiston, an auto analyst at Morningstar, agrees that government ownership is impacting investors' interest in GM.

"There are a lot of money managers that are waiting for the government to exit before jumping in," Whiston said.

The Treasury, which rescued GM with a $49.5 billion bailout and once held a 61 percent majority stake, "will likely look at another (stock) sale in August, after second-quarter earnings are announced, Akerson said.

The Obama administration has made clear it is eager to exit GM — but hasn't laid out a precise timetable.

Asked if GM is considering buying back its stock, Akerson paused for eight seconds before declining to answer directly. "But we have a lot of cash," he added.

At the current stock price, U.S. taxpayers would be out more than $12 billion on GM's bailout. Still, Akerson believes that, in the end, taxpayers will see the government made the right call in saving the automaker, as well as crosstown rival Chrysler.

"We are in the midst of transforming an iconic American company so 20 and 30 years from now (taxpayers) will look at this company and they'll say, 'Absolutely it was the right thing to do,'" Akerson said. "And it shouldn't be measured on did it sell for $43 or $53 (a share) or did they lose a couple billion dollars?"

GM was saved, he said, because of the extreme generosity of Americans — a spirit that helped restore Europe and Japan after World War II and rebuild cities such as New Orleans after natural disasters.

"We're the most generous country, even in terrible times," Akerson said. "We don't walk to the disaster as a nation. … We can't wait to help."

Things are looking up for GM's image, he said. Pollster Peter Hart, conducting research for GM, found 16 percent had a positive view of GM before the bailout. But that had risen to 65 percent early this year, Akerson said.

"I couldn't believe the press we got on the IPO — it was like a $100 million gift," Akerson said.

GM's rebound, he believes, was a "proxy" for the U.S.

"OK, we took the blow as a nation, we weathered the worst, and my God, we're back," Akerson said. "It's why I came here. It was a story of underdog that tripped as we all have in our lives — it was a good feel-good story."
Call for tax hikes

In his interview with The News, Akerson also weighed in on the nation's debt ceiling, saying Congress should raise it from its current $14.3 trillion mark. The government could default on its debt on Aug. 2.

"We're too good a nation to let ourselves be a banana republic," Akerson said, warning that a default would be "unimaginable" and could hurt auto sales.

But he agrees with those who say the country has been spending money it can't afford.

"Now, we need practical decisions," Akerson said. "I think you need to cut the hell out of the budget and you've got to increase taxes … on everybody — including the middle class and the rich people."

Akerson, who describes himself as "a Colin Powell Republican — not a Sarah Palin Republican" — said President Barack Obama has "done a pretty good job on the economy," which, he said, was "a nightmare.

"I don't think he can fix it in four years and I think we just have to stay the course," he said.

Despite his Republican stripes, Akerson is frustrated with the political climate and the media.

He was invited to appear on CBS' "Face the Nation," but said: "I can't go on it. I'm toxic. I'm like a lightning rod. I couldn't have an intelligent discussion without someone saying, 'He's a welfare guy from the bailout.'"

But he noted the bipartisan spirit of GM's rescue and the rest of the U.S. auto industry.

"If we had gone down," he said, "the supply chain would have gone down. … And Ford was hanging on by its fingernails, too."

GM's failure also would have led to Detroit's collapse, Akerson said. "I have not seen a city in this bad a shape since I went to East Berlin in 1969."

dshepardson@detnews.com

(202) 662-8735

Subscribe to Detroit News home delivery and receive a SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY OFFER.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110607/...#ixzz1Ob5YP7zR
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

**** this guy.... how about you build what consumers demand. I'm 6'4" I don't want to drive around in some little ****-box with no power sipping on grass juice.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by travisnd
**** this guy.... how about you build what consumers demand. I'm 6'4" I don't want to drive around in some little ****-box with no power sipping on grass juice.

better get an 24" hole saw for your head
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a Novel idea GM. Build what your customers want!
If I wanted to live in europe, I would move there. Why do they feel the need to Force me into anything.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bsalie99
Why do they feel the need to Force me into anything.
It's the liberal way... they know what's best for you. Don't want to turn this into politics but it is what it is and it seems to permeate many aspects of our society now.

Get notified of new replies

To GM refocusing product line

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM refocusing product line