Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 C6 w/Auto trans - Not Upshifting on Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Peter2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 C6 w/Auto trans - Not Upshifting on Track

I ran a track day today at Autobahn CC in Joliet, IL. We had three sessions. During the second session my trans wouldn't upshift after I slowed for a curve and accelerated out of it. Eventually it would suddenly upshift and all would be well until I'd slow into a curve and accelerate out again. This happened repeatedly through the third and final session. The car was allowed to cool for 40 minutes between sessions.

The car is an early 2005, with an auto 4-speed. It has 25k miles, had 17k 6 months ago when I bought it. Haven't changed the trans fluid since I bought it.

Any thoughts as to why it would have trouble upshifting?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:33 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter2
I ran a track day today at Autobahn CC in Joliet, IL. We had three sessions. During the second session my trans wouldn't upshift after I slowed for a curve and accelerated out of it. Eventually it would suddenly upshift and all would be well until I'd slow into a curve and accelerate out again. This happened repeatedly through the third and final session. The car was allowed to cool for 40 minutes between sessions.

The car is an early 2005, with an auto 4-speed. It has 25k miles, had 17k 6 months ago when I bought it. Haven't changed the trans fluid since I bought it.

Any thoughts as to why it would have trouble upshifting?
Had same problem with my 2004 A4. Best anyone could come up with is the trans fluid is moving away from the pick up so the car will not shift properly until you get the car back in a straight line... Mine would actually act like it was in 'N" until I got the car straight.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Peter2
Intermediate

Thanks, John. When I think about it that describes what I experienced, too. The car did finally shift but only after I was in a straight line. Did you have any resolution to the problem? Hopefully a few other people will have some experience to share too.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:38 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

add fluid to help that problem. Problem with using that trans is that once it gets hot, it will belch fluid out the vent tube and cover your rear crossmember with fluid every session.

I've tracked that trans extensively, and finally gave up and bought a z.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Are manually trying to shift, or letting the auto shift itself ?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Peter2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Are manually trying to shift, or letting the auto shift itself ?
After a bit I tried manually shifting, it didn't seem to help. Went back to letting it shift itself.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Peter2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
add fluid to help that problem. Problem with using that trans is that once it gets hot, it will belch fluid out the vent tube and cover your rear crossmember with fluid every session.

I've tracked that trans extensively, and finally gave up and bought a z.
I've only had the car for about 6 months and not performed any of the maintenance myself. I know the trans is at the rear of the car and I'm guessing this makes checking or adding fluid a bit more difficult. Is adding trans fluid easily done? I do have a shop manual and I'll look into that a little later. Is adding fluid something I can do at the track?

A Z would be nice, but this is the car I have! Oh well! Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Peter2; 05-29-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter2
Thanks, John. When I think about it that describes what I experienced, too. The car did finally shift but only after I was in a straight line. Did you have any resolution to the problem? Hopefully a few other people will have some experience to share too.
Only fix that really worked..... I bought a 2004 Z06 and use it for all my track session and keep the 2005 for drag racing. It really likes going in a straight line

Get notified of new replies

To '05 C6 w/Auto trans - Not Upshifting on Track

Quick Reply: '05 C6 w/Auto trans - Not Upshifting on Track