Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear toe in question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rear toe in question

I just got an alignment and I'm pretty sure I missed something in regards to the rear toe in. I have basically zero toe front and rear.

Question: when folks say 1/16"-1/8" toe in for the rear (many times 1/16" for poly bushings, 1/8" for stock bushings), is this the total toe in? So if I ask for 0.13 degrees toe- in, " / \ ", per wheel (295-35-18"), this will give me the proper 1/8" toe-in desired?

#2 question: is the 1/8" toe in for the rear going to eat my rears up badly on the street? I street my car more than the track but I'm just concerned here that without the toe-in the car will have too much oversteer. I want to be confident especially getting power down on corner exit/at or past the apex.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran zero toe all the way around on my dual purpose street/HPDE car with now issues. I now have a slight toe in which makes the car a bit more stable under hard braking.

You definately do not want any toe out in the rear. I tell the shop to keep it at zero to slightly toe in in the rear. I'll leave it to some one else to give you the exact numbers but I dont think a slight toe in will cause that much wear.

Not sure if this helps.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

yes, generally the numbers we throw around are TOTAL toe. Since DIY'ers have no choice but to measure it that way, it only makes sense to record it that way.

I set my thrust angle to zero (or close), then make all of my rear toe adjustments symmetric so that the thrust stays in place.

If you street more than track, 1/8" may be a bit much. A 1/6 turn of each adjuster (1 flat) is less than 1/32" each, so I'd probably tighten each toe end 1 flat for street use, then set it back for the track. You'd have just over 1/16" in street trim, and keep your 1/8" for the track. Plus you can adjust the rear without even jacking the car.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
yes, generally the numbers we throw around are TOTAL toe. Since DIY'ers have no choice but to measure it that way, it only makes sense to record it that way.

I set my thrust angle to zero (or close), then make all of my rear toe adjustments symmetric so that the thrust stays in place.

If you street more than track, 1/8" may be a bit much. A 1/6 turn of each adjuster (1 flat) is less than 1/32" each, so I'd probably tighten each toe end 1 flat for street use, then set it back for the track. You'd have just over 1/16" in street trim, and keep your 1/8" for the track. Plus you can adjust the rear without even jacking the car.
David,

That's great info! If I have absolutely zero toe now, I assume tightening it by 2 flats=1/3 turn each side would get me close to the 1/8" toe in. BTW, if an outer tie rod end must be replaced, does that affect mostly the toe setting? Had one replaced yesterday and felt lucky I was having it all re-aligned anyway. But if I had to do another, it'd be great to DIY and just adjust toe after the rod-end is put in place. I saw the toe was waaaay off but I don't remember the camber.

Andy

Get notified of new replies

To Rear toe in question

Quick Reply: Rear toe in question