Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 z06: Can you adjust ride height with wheels weighted?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Garick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 z06: Can you adjust ride height with wheels weighted?

I've got an appointment with a shop this week to have the ride height set and get corner weighing and alignment done. I know that my car is very difficult to settle back down after the wheels have been off the ground.

Is it possible with a drive on lift or alignment rack to adjust the springs without un-weighting the suspension? Otherwise I think its pointless to try to do it all in one day.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:40 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my car cornered balanced by David Farmer it was done on a drive on lift. I sat in the car while he did the work. The ride height was changed as the car was balanced. Others know more than me but I do no think that you can corner balance the car with the wheels hanging in the air.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:18 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Garick
Is it possible with a drive on lift or alignment rack to adjust the springs without un-weighting the suspension? Otherwise I think its pointless to try to do it all in one day.
That really depends on your front adjusters. If they are stock, chances are they're not going to be able to adjust them with the suspension loaded. I've been able to do it in the past on other's cars with a lot of PB Blaster, swearing and bloody knuckles, but it is very hard to do. One car I worked on recently was a northern transplant and the adjusters were so badly rust welded that I had to remove the entire spring to break them free.

Best thing you can do is replace those stock adjusters with Hardbar delrin ones (adjustments can be easily made). If that's not an option, go ahead and start soaking them with your favorite penetrating oil now before you head to have the work performed.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 z06: Can you adjust ride height with wheels weighted?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 z06: Can you adjust ride height with wheels weighted?