Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Brake Ducts and LG World Challenge Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Homemade Brake Ducts and LG World Challenge Wheels

See pictures below. If anyone wants part descriptions, details, or costs for the brake ducts, just let me know an I'll post. They work awesome!

Last edited by bdanyluk; 05-16-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car is looking good! Nice work!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is better to have a plate to close the rotor off to force more air through the rotor. That cools both sides better. Nice job as is.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Yeah....I only do HPDE's....probably for the next 5 years at least.

So.....the brake ducts actually work too well.....after 125mph+ on the straightaways, the brakes were not hot enough to work 100%, maybe only 75% of what the pads are capable of.

I might actually put a piece of plexiglass over the front screen of the foglights with a hole in it, to act as a restrictor plate.

Tuneable brake ducting!

Also...on the Nitto Invo tires....truly amazing! Stock goodyears are total junk....only found out today when I tried out these new tires/wheels. Literally 2 to 3 times the grip in the turns....just tested on the street, no track time with them yet, and 200% more confidence. I can take on-ramps about 20mph faster and with tighter turning with the Invo's over the stock tires. That will be the first thing I tell newbies to change first is the tires, from now on.

Last edited by bdanyluk; 05-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
If anyone wants part descriptions, details, or costs for the brake ducts, just let me know an I'll post. They work awesome!
Yeah, I'd like to know where you got the specific duct that fits the fog light opening so well. Price??

Now that T1 is allowed to run additional brake ducts, I kept the DRM version that attaches to the stock opening, but then I attached another hose to the fog light cover and just zip tied it in place. I just pointed the other end at the wheel opening...right below the sway bar (zip tied again). It's not as sexy as yours, but it works.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...39/Naca_Ducts2

That's where I got the duct. Don't fit nicely at all. But I have some more pictures I can post if you want and point out details. I covered everything in RV GOOP. That stuff is better than sliced bread!

Also, I have a base C6, so I got the stock Z06 ducts for about $15 each, and put these adapters on:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...39/Naca_Ducts2

Goes from the 2.5 inch stock size duct to the 3 inch duct size. Also needed to modify, but it will never come off! Hence the bolt/nut/RV goop.

My spindle ducts are the $75 dollar version from Quantum motorsports. Don't see the $170 kit as necessary. It just need to hold the hose, no forces really act on it at all. People think overwise but whatever....I just have a bachelor's in mechanical engineering.

anyway...it's all about having fun, building your own stuff, watching it work, and spending as little as you have to in order to have a good working product.

Any other questions? Do you want me to post the other pictures?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 PM
B505
Instructor

Thats looking good! I went to the track this weekend and had a problem with my ducts popping off the factory plastic inlet. It looks like you've added a little metal support so you can hose clamp it down. What exactly is that? I think I'm going to try something along those lines for next time. Now I gotta take the wheel off and fix the ducts AGAIN!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:18 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

That bolt, at the top of the air duct, that then leads to the hose and into the spindle, is just to hold my 2.5 inch to 3 inch plastic adapter. The adapter has about 3 inches of material to clamp down on so just a regular clamp is fine. Just make sure you have extra hose built into your lenght of tubing. You want to make sure it's always pushing out, against both sides, so it doesn't pop off like you said. I think mine was about 6 inches longer than the actual distance from the duct to the spindle. It compresses the hose, but who cares, it's flexible. And like I said, the tension of it pushing out will hold it on....I really don't need the clamps anywhere in my setup, it's just added insurance.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 PM
B505
Instructor

That bolt, at the top of the air duct, that then leads to the hose and into the spindle, is just to hold my 2.5 inch to 3 inch plastic adapter. The adapter has about 3 inches of material to clamp down on so just a regular clamp is fine. Just make sure you have extra hose built into your lenght of tubing. You want to make sure it's always pushing out, against both sides, so it doesn't pop off like you said. I think mine was about 6 inches longer than the actual distance from the duct to the spindle. It compresses the hose, but who cares, it's flexible. And like I said, the tension of it pushing out will hold it on....I really don't need the clamps anywhere in my setup, it's just added insurance.
Cool thanks. I'm gonna look into it. I think a bolt like that would be just the thing I'm looking for to be able to hose clamp it down to the factory inlet.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

OR if you're talking about next to the brake rotor, here is where I got my spindle duct support:

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...products_id=84
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Here are some shots of my recent work. It's a lot cheaper, but as I said, not quite as sexy.

Last edited by wtknght1; 05-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Great job adapting this idea to a C6 Base car!!!

I did the same mod about a year ago and they work great! I tried cooling fans too. But honestly, I don't think they are needed for road course use.

If anyone wants to see a C6Z application...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...brication.html
Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

OR if you're talking about next to the brake rotor, here is where I got my spindle duct support:

http://store.quantummotorsports.com/...products_id=84
How and where do these bolt up.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:42 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

You need to remove the top 2 bolts of your front wheel hub/axle/bearing assembly.

No need to remove the hub part, just the 2 bolts.

Royal PITA !

But.....the mounts for the spindle ducts have 0 chance of coming off.

Some people think the $170 kit is much better.....it is....but not really necessary in my opinion....why not spend that $170 on more brake pads?!

If you want any more info, please ask and I will respond.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Homemade Brake Ducts and LG World Challenge Wheels

Quick Reply: Homemade Brake Ducts and LG World Challenge Wheels