Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

::Is the OEM C6 oil cooler replacing the 'old school' blocks/AN lines due to $$???

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default ::Is the OEM C6 oil cooler replacing the 'old school' blocks/AN lines due to $$???

1. OEM C6 oil cooler block with attached hoses going into a Ron Davis radiator with OEM style C-clips

2. LPE, DRM, LG(I'm sure there are more) oil cooler blocks, same as above with the lines and oil temp sensor is different locations, with AN steel braided lines

Now, after I typed the above, it seems the first option is the optimum solution after trying to route the -8,10? oil cooler lines vs. the OEM C6 lines , especially when going over the RHS of the rad. tank

I've got a 2001 coupe/HPDE/Nasa car in the shop and noticed the OEM C6 setup, looks like a Z51/C6 cooler

If choosing the first option, is this better than running the C6Z06 stand alone oil cooler?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I think I would trust AN lines more than the OEM line. I used to run the DRM Ron Davis Racing Radiator with AN lines to the EOC. I used it on 2 cars for a total of 8 seasons and then sold it to somebody else. As far as I know it is still going strong over a year later. My 08Z didn't make it through its second track season before the OEM cooler line separated where the hoses attach to the metal lines. Luckily, it was noticed before I had an engine or worse issue. It did leave quite a mess on the WGI garage floor though. My 03 Tahoe has a similar cooling line and hasn't given me any trouble but the dealer tech who repaired the car said GM had been having problems with their cooler lines and he had replaced a number of them on Silverados. Maybe a supplier's tooling isn't as good as it used to be or they changed suppliers or maybe its nothing but I think if I was adding an oil cooler I would go with AN lines.

Bill
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 AM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd go AN as well.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

-AN lines carry their own issues, particularly with proper installation. I chose the OEM over -AN for a bunch of reasons - reliability, price, packaging, ultra-effective (cannot get oil temps above ~235, ever) and the integrated pressure bypass valve.
It is a pita to install (need to drop exhaust, take off driver's header), but any oil cooler is a pain.

A search for C6 oil cooler failures comes up nearly empty, including comments like "I've never heard of that happening." Not to say that there aren't failures, but they seem to be rare and the setup works well.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:39 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm thinking the oem C6 eoc lines are coming from a rad. Combo from a reputable shop

My opinion agrees with Ben here

the oem hard lines running to the front of the engine are a positive
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
-AN lines carry their own issues, particularly with proper installation. I chose the OEM over -AN for a bunch of reasons - reliability, price, packaging, ultra-effective (cannot get oil temps above ~235, ever) and the integrated pressure bypass valve.
It is a pita to install (need to drop exhaust, take off driver's header), but any oil cooler is a pain.

A search for C6 oil cooler failures comes up nearly empty, including comments like "I've never heard of that happening." Not to say that there aren't failures, but they seem to be rare and the setup works well.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:44 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VII Veteran

it's a Dewitts rad., not Davis
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 PM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I was told a seperate cooler for your oil will be alot more efficient than asking a rad to cool both the oil and coolant.

Get notified of new replies

To ::Is the OEM C6 oil cooler replacing the 'old school' blocks/AN lines due to $$???

Quick Reply: ::Is the OEM C6 oil cooler replacing the 'old school' blocks/AN lines due to $$???