Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 catch can mounting location???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default LS3 catch can mounting location???

Where are you guys mounting oil catch cans on LS3 cars? The stock air filter has a box right where most people mount the catch cans. I am thinking that the back of the front bumper is going to be the best location. I would like to see some pictures of where you guys are mounting them.

Thanks,
Charley
Old 03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Where are you guys mounting oil catch cans on LS3 cars? The stock air filter has a box right where most people mount the catch cans. I am thinking that the back of the front bumper is going to be the best location. I would like to see some pictures of where you guys are mounting them.

Thanks,
Charley
Same question, and if you mount in common location how do you drain it from the bottom ??

Ed
Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by doveboat
Same question, and if you mount in common location how do you drain it from the bottom ??

Ed
You guys saw how I do it. You don't need a drain ****/tube .....

DH
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
DH, If I recall you unscrew the can and pour out any oil. I am looking to see if there is a way to drain while mounted.

Charlie, be careful here, DH may be fishing for secrets to use against us in the CC

Ed
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

DH
Howie, There are two differences here: First, On the LS3 cars there is an intake resonator located where you have your can located, so we need to find another mounting location (and there are not many options. Second, your can looked like it was designed to have the bottom unscrewed to empty the contents, while the top remained in place on the mounting bracket...The can Ed and I got doesn't operate that way. Ours is designed to stay mounted in place and there is a valve located on the bottom that gets loosened to drain the oil. So this means that it needs to be located in an area that allows access to the bottom.

Charley
Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

DH, If I recall you unscrew the can and pour out any oil. I am looking to see if there is a way to drain while mounted.

Charlie, be careful here, DH may be fishing for secrets to use against us in the CC

Ed
I am still trying to figure out how to catch him....I have to find a way to overcome that extra 70 HP that he has.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Howie, There are two differences here: First, On the LS3 cars there is an intake resonator located where you have your can located, so we need to find another mounting location (and there are not many options. Second, your can looked like it was designed to have the bottom unscrewed to empty the contents, while the top remained in place on the mounting bracket...The can Ed and I got doesn't operate that way. Ours is designed to stay mounted in place and there is a valve located on the bottom that gets loosened to drain the oil. So this means that it needs to be located in an area that allows access to the bottom.

Charley
Charley

Just because the can has a petcock, doesn't mean you have to use it. You will not be emptying it very often. Except for ACS I can run all day with the small one I have. Even when I had the AMW can with the bottom valve, I still unscrewed it. Just seemed faster and easier than climbing under the car with a hose and a bottle. You will eventually see it my way .............

And as far as you and Ed catching me ......... Hahahahahahahahahaah !!!

DH
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Charley

Just because the can has a petcock, doesn't mean you have to use it. You will not be emptying it very often. Except for ACS I can run all day with the small one I have. Even when I had the AMW can with the bottom valve, I still unscrewed it. Just seemed faster and easier than climbing under the car with a hose and a bottle. You will eventually see it my way .............

And as far as you and Ed catching me ......... Hahahahahahahahahaah !!!

DH
Here is my plan to even the playing field with DH:

- Remove FRC's - 20HP

- Install Catch Can - 10HP

- Paint Brake Calipers - 10HP

- Polish Exhaust Tips - 10HP

- Play music louder - 10HP

- Wear Light Weight Clothing - 5HP

- 2 Coats of Rejex - 5HP

That should do it .....

Ed
Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here is my plan to even the playing field with DH:

- Remove FRC's - 20HP

- Install Catch Can - 10HP

- Paint Brake Calipers - 10HP

- Polish Exhaust Tips - 10HP

- Play music louder - 10HP

- Wear Light Weight Clothing - 5HP

- 2 Coats of Rejex - 5HP

That should do it .....

Ed
Sorry Ed but I have 3 years worth of Rejex on my car. You could try a suppository before the first session

DH
Old 03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charly remove the petcock that comes with the can and go to the hardware store . Get a petcock that allows you to hook a hose to it. Cost $6.00. Don't for get to get a hose to atach to the petcock.
Tris
Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Charley,

I may just mount in the standard position and then remove by disconnecting lines when I have a need to empty from the bottom.

I have a killer bee CAI so the noise unit does not apply to me

Ed
Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Charley,

I may just mount in the standard position and then remove by disconnecting lines when I have a need to empty from the bottom.

I have a killer bee CAI so the noise unit does not apply to me

Ed
(YEP)

DH
Old 03-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Here are some pictures of my Catch can installation.

I put a quarter turn ball valve on the bottom of the can with a short hose to drain the oil. I also reversed the hose fittings so that they face up.

I located the catch can nest to the radiator (against the frame). To empty the catch I put the drain hose into an empty oil container (under the car near the radiator shroud), and then reach down and open the ball valve.

I am still making the final adjustments... but, I like how it it is working out so far...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Good installation job. Now please make sure you don't spill oil all over the AS garages and pit areas of other tracks.

Also I suggest you measure how much oil your can holds when full so when you do empty it at the track you can determine if your exceeding your capacity.

DH
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Good installation job. Now please make sure you don't spill oil all over the AS garages and pit areas of other tracks.

Also I suggest you measure how much oil your can holds when full so when you do empty it at the track you can determine if your exceeding your capacity.

DH
If there are dripping issues when I test it out I will put a plug in the end of the hose.

Measuring the amount that comes out is a good idea.

when I took my airbridge and filter out to give me more room to do the installation there was oil everywhere. I think this should really help. Thanks for providing such a graphic demonstration at the track....That is what made me realize how big an issue this is.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Here are some shots of the completed installation.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Nice install.

I look forward to watching you crawl around on the ground draining that thing .................

DH

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 catch can mounting location???

Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Nice install.

I look forward to watching you crawl around on the ground draining that thing .................

DH
At our next race we should have a catch can draining contest to see who can drain and be back in racing configuration the quickest.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

At our next race we should have a catch can draining contest to see who can drain and be back in racing configuration the quickest.
You may win but I won't have to worry about someone stepping on my ***** while I'm laying on my back getting oil splashing in my face

DH
Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may win but I won't have to worry about someone stepping on my ***** while I'm laying on my back getting oil splashing in my face

DH
That would be me stepping on your *****.
Tris

Quick Reply: LS3 catch can mounting location???