Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 What class with these mods?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM
stevenm357
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 What class with these mods?

I have a 2001 corvette. wihch stock is an AS but....

car has
C6 tunnel plate,
drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads and SS brake hoses with SS pistons in the calipers

Headers, no cats, no mufflers. just 2 resonators but still goes ou the back.

Cold air intake ( still under the hood)
Race mesh in the gills.
C6z06 brake ducts and shocks fixing to go on next pretty day.

tires kumho esticas on stock wheels.

sorry to ask stupid questions but the 346 pages of the rule book make me not want to go to a sanctioned event.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Who are you running with?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
stevenm357
Pro

Dang. Sorry SCCA
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
stevenm357
Pro

I'm leaning towards A Stock Prepared?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by stevenm357
I'm leaning towards A Stock Prepared?
Higher
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM
stevenm357
Pro

since i'm not sure what the "higher" class is. can you enlighten me?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

You would at least be A Street Prepared (ASP). But to really be competitive nationally... you will need to be on some Hoosier A6's or Kuhmo V710's.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by stevenm357
since i'm not sure what the "higher" class is. can you enlighten me?
SM2 I think. Been awhile.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are outside of AS as soon as you add headers, ASP is usually a C5/C6z heavy class locally as well as a lot of Lotus, and GT2/3's and the occasional Viper nationally. Last year a C6z won for the first year I believe in front of a bunch of Loti? heh

The C6 tunnel plate probably does you in as well, brake mods I believe are all OK in AS unless you are plus size on the rotors.

ASP allows the intake, headers, rim size options etc.

Find somewhere to run locally and go have fun, before you worry about race tires and classing IMO. Takes a fair amount of cash and a TON of seat time to be competitive in these cars, so go enjoy and decide if you want to invest the time and money before you get too committed.

G'luck
Fej
Old 03-09-2011, 10:52 PM
stevenm357
Pro

thanks i put ASP on the registration forum. if I'm not in the class i'm sure someone will bitch from that class while my car is there with the hood up lol

It is primarily a street car. I have hit a few HPDE events, and I drag race a few times a year, I work a lot, and am a competitive pistol shooter on a national level ( 5th last year in IPSC nationals) so, I'm not looking to really break out into the national circuit, I'm the "run what you brung i'm here for fun" type. i don't have to win. it's fun that's it, i'll practice a little but not going to spend every waking moment, the vette is my nicest toy, and i don't plan on turning it into a race car, if i wanted to race i'd buy a hard top camaro, and go from there.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
RogerT
Pro

Default Nccc

You might enjoy autocrossing with the National Council of Corvette Clubs. There are sanctioned events all across the country. Both low speed ( under 80mph ) and high speed events. You would be in Group II.

Roger T : )
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 PM
stevenm357
Pro

doubt there is any in my area but I'll definitely look that up tomorrow!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

and please go back to stock brake pads. Most ceramic brake pads are for street use, but not hard stopping when really needed.

Good Luck and Have fun
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Originally Posted by fej
Yes you are outside of AS as soon as you add headers, ASP is usually a C5/C6z heavy class locally as well as a lot of Lotus, and GT2/3's and the occasional Viper nationally. Last year a C6z won for the first year I believe in front of a bunch of Loti? heh

The C6 tunnel plate probably does you in as well, brake mods I believe are all OK in AS unless you are plus size on the rotors.

ASP allows the intake, headers, rim size options etc.

Find somewhere to run locally and go have fun, before you worry about race tires and classing IMO. Takes a fair amount of cash and a TON of seat time to be competitive in these cars, so go enjoy and decide if you want to invest the time and money before you get too committed.

G'luck
Fej
The headers will move you to a non stock class. At the local level the tunnel plate will not be noticed since nobody is going to crawl under the car to look. Depending on where you are located they may not notice or care about the headers. Where I live the SCCA people just sort of stare at Corvettes and don't know much about them. Even when a heavily modded one shows up they really don't have a clue if it meets stock requirements or not.

Bill
Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

I think the headers/cats delete puts you in SSM (the old SM2 class) and I think the caliper pistons may move you there too.

The tunnel plate is considered frame reinforcement and that mod might move you all the way to Prepared class...XP I believe.

No one locally is going to crawl under your car to check the plate...but they may be reading this thread...lol. But the headers are hard to hide.

I'd go ahead and show up to the local events and register in SSM or ASP. If you really enjoy the sport then you can decide where you want to play and what you want to do to the car. You will never be competitive in any C5 class with street tires so just go and have fun learning how to drive the car.

Good luck!

Last edited by TedDBere; 04-19-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like you belong in SSM, that's a very competitive class. In KY Region, we have STO. Street Tire Open, anything goes, as long as you have real, street tires.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TedDBere
The headers/cats delete puts you in SSM (the old SM2 class) and I think the caliper pistons may move you there too.

The tunnel plate is considered frame reinforcement and that mod might move you all the way to Prepared class...XP I believe.

No one locally is going to crawl under your car to check the plate...but they may be reading this thread...lol. But the headers are hard to hide.

I'd go ahead and show up to the local events and register in SSM. If you really enjoy the sport then you can decide where you want to play and what you want to do to the car. You will never be competitive in any C5 class with street tires so just go and have fun learning how to drive the car.

Good luck!
I'm getting into this conversation a month late....

But, headers and no cats are 100% legal in ASP. I believe the only thing that he listed that would maybe push him to a higher class is the tunnel plate.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 What class with these mods?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thehammer69
I'm getting into this conversation a month late....

But, headers and no cats are 100% legal in ASP. I believe the only thing that he listed that would maybe push him to a higher class is the tunnel plate.
I'd go with what Don says with regard to the headers and cat delete. The best part about ASP is being able to run wider rims/tires, and stronger springs. And there are only a handful of ASP cars in the country that can beat a stock Z06 so you should have fun in that class locally. Your real problem in your transmission. It won't be competitive with the MN12, and you can't swap it to the MN12 until you move into SSM. Once you change the transmission, wheels, and springs the coupe can be just as competitive as the Z06 in SSM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Your real problem in your transmission. It won't be competitive with the MN12, and you can't swap it to the MN12 until you move into SSM.
I believe this swap is allowed in SP per the update/backdate allowance. C5 (97-04) are all listed on the same line so this should be ok, unless I'm reading something wrong. (Thinking C5 hopefully in my not-too-distant future.)
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
TheNick
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
I believe this swap is allowed in SP per the update/backdate allowance. C5 (97-04) are all listed on the same line so this should be ok, unless I'm reading something wrong. (Thinking C5 hopefully in my not-too-distant future.)
You are right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 What class with these mods?