Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC active cruising down the road

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default TC active cruising down the road

Just did a test mount of all four C5Z wheels and tires on my C6 and drove @6 miles to get some gas. I got the "TC System Active" message three times on the way there just cruising along at normal speeds. Got gas and returned back home and didn't see the message on the way back after re-start. This is the first time the car has been driven with these wheels/tires.

Any thoughts on this?

Found it odd it didn't do anything after the re-start so was it just not happy then learned the difference?

Running 285/35R18 square where my stock wheels are 255/40R18 up front and 295/35R19 in the rear.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd be more worried about ABS, you can always turn TC off. try some hard stops, if ABS functions more or less normally, I would not worry too much.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i'd be more worried about ABS, you can always turn TC off. try some hard stops, if ABS functions more or less normally, I would not worry too much.
Was thinking the same about TC after I posted this, but didnt even take into account ABS. I'll look into that, thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ABS should be fine, it just uses the wheel speed sensors to see if you've locked a wheel, right? I'd be more concerned about a confused AH/TC computer that is used to seeing a difference between front and rear wheel speeds. Let us know how it goes, but I've always assumed that if you want to run a square set up on a C6 you're going to have to turn everything off all the time...
Old 03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Depending of the tire sizes, you may get away with going to comp mode for street driving.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gkmccready
but I've always assumed that if you want to run a square set up on a C6 you're going to have to turn everything off all the time...
Surely hope not! Crossing my fingers comp mode will fit the bill.

Originally Posted by froggy47
Depending of the tire sizes, you may get away with going to comp mode for street driving.

Exactly what my next test will be.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:23 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The reason you're getting the message is that you're running a square setup on all four corners. The computer is calibrated to see a different rotaional speed of the stock front and rear wheels since it's a staggered setup. Now that the rotaional speed of the front and rear is the same the computer is confused and it thinks the rears are spinning because it's rotating faster than predicted.

255/40-18 = 775 revolutions/mile, diameter 26.0 in
295/35-19 = 743 revolutions/mile, diameter 27.1 in

You need to turn off your traction control/active handling to run a square setup.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gmccreary
The reason you're getting the message is that you're running a square setup on all four corners. The computer is calibrated to see a different rotaional speed of the stock front and rear wheels since it's a staggered setup. Now that the rotaional speed of the front and rear is the same the computer is confused and it thinks the rears are spinning because it's rotating faster than predicted.

You need to turn off your traction control/active handling to run a square setup.

That makes complete sense. I'll hope comp mode allows me to run some AH when running around the track.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

If it gives you issues in comp mode just turn it off and take it easy. Will you be at Road Atlanta this weekend?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

If it gives you issues in comp mode just turn it off and take it easy. Will you be at Road Atlanta this weekend?

Yes sir I will be. I wasn't able to make the registration in time due to just getting tires mounted the other day. I'll come up and chat a bit and learn a few things I'm sure though.

I'll be ready for CMP in late April with NASA though. Hoping to get 1 or 2 smaller events in before then as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AH on track? unsettles the car and ruins time...
Turn it all off as soon as you get comfortable w/ the feel of the car
my 2 cents..
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
AH on track? unsettles the car and ruins time...
Turn it all off as soon as you get comfortable w/ the feel of the car
my 2 cents..

That's the plan.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

You won't see any problems as long as you are in Comp Mode. When I ran equal diameter tires front and rear on my C5 I could go for very long distances and never activate TC while other people running the same tire configuration would have it activate within a short distance. I suspect there is some variability between EBCMs in this area. I did experiment with my C5 by swapping the stock front and rear wheels so the front tires were rotating slower than the rears. Within a few feet TC activated and would apply the rear brakes to bring the car to a stop while coasting downhill in nuetral. I suspect the C6 TC will do the same.

AH mostly doesn't care what size the tires are.

Bill
Old 03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You actually sound like you know what you're talking about for a change.

LEAVINU: If you send Julie Pantas an email, you can probably still get in for this weekend. Be sure to stop by and say hello.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
You actually sound like you know what you're talking about for a change.
At least I only have one screen name

Get notified of new replies

To TC active cruising down the road

Quick Reply: TC active cruising down the road