Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing oil/diff/tranny fluid with Coolers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing oil/diff/tranny fluid with Coolers???

So I have the RD/DRM rad with oil-cooler and need to change the oil for LRP in April.
Does the car require more oil since I've the oil cooler and additional lines? I assume so but would hate to do my usual...something stupid.

I also have the DRM tranny/diff coolers, not yet installed...I'd love to have them in by April but I doubt I'll have the time.
With those, again, I'm thinking there is an additional amount of fluid needed and probably a trick on how to properly fill/how much to fill but again, I'm afraid of doing my usual.

Any advice from those in the know? Car is an '01Z.

Thanks so much,
TomK
Old 03-08-2011, 09:43 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

You would do the same thing for both the engine cooler and the tranny/diff coolers. When you change fluids put in your normal full, say 6.5-7 quarts in the engine, 3.7-4 quarts in the tranny and 2 in the diff, then run the engine, and check and see where the level is and add accordingly. Fill the tranny and diff, run the pumps for a few minutes and double check the level. Just make sure you don't overfill the tranny or it will spary out of the vent tube. Most of the times I put a tranny cooler on I end up installing a vented catch can in place of the breather, better than a black flag.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

My oil changes involve the same amount of oil with the oil cooler as it did before. The lines and cooler are full, and there's no easy way for air to get into the system (required before the oil would drain), unless you crack it open.

My Blackstone oil analyses haven't shown any adverse trends by leaving that oil in the system.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
You would do the same thing for both the engine cooler and the tranny/diff coolers. When you change fluids put in your normal full, say 6.5-7 quarts in the engine, 3.7-4 quarts in the tranny and 2 in the diff, then run the engine, and check and see where the level is and add accordingly. Fill the tranny and diff, run the pumps for a few minutes and double check the level. Just make sure you don't overfill the tranny or it will spary out of the vent tube. Most of the times I put a tranny cooler on I end up installing a vented catch can in place of the breather, better than a black flag.
What pumps do you use? I'm looking for a setup.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
My oil changes involve the same amount of oil with the oil cooler as it did before. The lines and cooler are full, and there's no easy way for air to get into the system (required before the oil would drain), unless you crack it open.

My Blackstone oil analyses haven't shown any adverse trends by leaving that oil in the system.

Have a good one,
Mike
So Mike what has Blackstone told you about your change intervals and motor wear?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

electric pumps are easy, just fill, cycle, top off if necessary. With mechanical pumps (LG setup), you have to cycle them by running on lift/jack stands etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
ace996
Pro

Cool, guys, thanks so much for the help.
Be good,
TomK
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdeuce
What pumps do you use? I'm looking for a setup.
I've installed the DRM set-up as well as the LG set-up, as David said the electric pumps are easier to check the level.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

for the DRM coolers...Randy says about 3/4 qt Xtra for the lines / cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing oil/diff/tranny fluid with Coolers???

Quick Reply: Changing oil/diff/tranny fluid with Coolers???