Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Pump Failures - Two in 6 HPDE's

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default PS Pump Failures - Two in 6 HPDE's

08 MN6, F55, Z51 Sway w/Poly Bushings, R888's, NO PS FACTORY COOLER

Looks like I have another leaking PS Pump after an HPDE event. This is my second failure over a span of 5k miles and 6 HPDE's.

After the first failure I switched to Red Line Synthetic and dropped fluid level at events to the cold mark to avoid any overflow. After the event, I suck out the resevoir and refill with fresh Red Line. Fluid always had a sharp burnt smell.

Will the pumps seals leak due to the high fluid temp ?

Is this a common occurance, or will I need the factory Z51 PS cooler to avoid this in the future. Also, are the Z06 or Z51 PS Pumps different than the base C6 ?.

Any info / tips are appreciated.

Ed

Last edited by doveboat; 03-07-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lack of a PS cooler is a big factor. Also consider an underdrive pulley which will reduce the wear on the PS pump.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Webz
Lack of a PS cooler is a big factor. Also consider an underdrive pulley which will reduce the wear on the PS pump.
Thanks, I have one that will go in with the new pump. I will also do a complete fluid flush and ensure only Red Line in the system.

I am stock motor / tune, so did not think I would be over reving the pump design limits. Is it the sustained high RPM (5500) that builds up pressure and then effects the seals ? or is it a fluid temp issue ?

I want to get this right for the new pump install.

Thanks for the info.

Ed
Old 03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You need to do two things to insure the longevity of your PS pump. 1) Get a cooler !!! 2) For the next replacement get a Turn One PS pump. They modify stock pumps to live on track. They are a little more expensive than a stock GM pump but they WILL LIVE and work properly on track. Get their billet pulley for ease of installation - well worth the $. http://www.turnone-steering.com/index.html
Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Do both cooler & turn one pump & your problem will go away.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

I am having the problem but on my PS line it keeps blowing the line. The last line lasted me maybe an hour... I have the turn one pump and have no problems with it at all its that dang PS line! This is the 4 or 5th one (I think) but I am running a old C4.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by doveboat
08 MN6, F55, Z51 Sway w/Poly Bushings, R888's, NO PS FACTORY COOLER

Looks like I have another leaking PS Pump after an HPDE event. This is my second failure over a span of 5k miles and 6 HPDE's.

After the first failure I switched to Red Line Synthetic and dropped fluid level at events to the cold mark to avoid any overflow. After the event, I suck out the resevoir and refill with fresh Red Line. Fluid always had a sharp burnt smell.

Will the pumps seals leak due to the high fluid temp ?

Is this a common occurance, or will I need the factory Z51 PS cooler to avoid this in the future. Also, are the Z06 or Z51 PS Pumps different than the base C6 ?.

Any info / tips are appreciated.

Ed
Also upgrade your fluid to RP or something similar. I just had my 3rd one put in.
I also had 2 broken motor mounts which no doubt caused a lot of flexing in the PS pump lines.

I have just put in a 25% underdrive pulley as well. Also good to flush the fluid at least once a season

Hoping my PS problems are over
good luck with yours
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Webz
Rocket
Do you really think your 50 MPH top speed is putting that much stress on the PS pump
sheeesshhh
Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Install AN plumbing throughout and you won't have to worry about lines exploding.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

either spend $ on a turn one, or go to autozone and get lifetime warranty units After the PS pump went out in my T1 car I went the autozone route
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
I am having the problem but on my PS line it keeps blowing the line. The last line lasted me maybe an hour... I have the turn one pump and have no problems with it at all its that dang PS line! This is the 4 or 5th one (I think) but I am running a old C4.
If you are buying oem lines, you MAY be getting (rubber) parts that have been sitting in a warehouse for 15 years or so.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc
A friend has a 94 that kept blowing/fracturing the plumbing. Eventually he got a special line from Turn One that solved the problem. Not sure what the problem is but he seemed to think the currently available GM hoses and auto parts hoses were different than the original and are missing a support which prevents the tubing that comes out of the pump from failing under vibration.

Bill
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Turn One pump for me, also. Got a rebuilt pump from Auto Zone and ended up replacing with another one a month later. Too much labor for me, thus the Turn One that is in it now.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is an OEM pump, it may be under warranty. I blew a pump duing a HPDE in October, and Chevy replaced it. I blew another the following May. My extended warranty was supposed to have kicked in, but they refused because I tracked it. Chevy stepped up and covered it under their one year part warranty. They did insist on installing a Z06 pump cooler, and I have had no problems since.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

did your old pump got completely out, or just leak. If it failed completely, your rack is probably damaged and just re-damaging the pump.

Add the OEM cooler....it should help a lot.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
did your old pump got completely out, or just leak. If it failed completely, your rack is probably damaged and just re-damaging the pump.

This is what happened to me. I think if you are losing pumps, you need to check your rack carefully. The failure of one tends to cause the other to have issues also.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
This is what happened to me. I think if you are losing pumps, you need to check your rack carefully. The failure of one tends to cause the other to have issues also.
Bill . . . Richie's boys just put in pump #4. Already on my second rack. Some of us just don't learn!

FM

Get notified of new replies

To PS Pump Failures - Two in 6 HPDE's

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by redtopz
What goes out in the rack to cause the pump to quit, seal(s)?

Pump has to overwork the bad rack?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
What goes out in the rack to cause the pump to quit, seal(s)?

Pump has to overwork the bad rack?
In my case it was probably the rack seals going bad and then the pump running dry. I installed pump 2 (autozone) and it failed soon after. Turned out the rack was the problem. I guess a bad pump should not make a rack fail, but the opposite could be true.

Fred, my car is heading there Thursday for a new rack as we speak . But this was a different issue (broken rack mounting bracket).
Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Thanks David,

Original pump left me a good size puddle on my garage floor, so I refilled resevoir and brough to local dealer who replaced under warranty. Steering never felt affected by the leak.

This replacement pump has a much smaller leak from the bottom that drips when car is sitting in garage leaving a small fluid puddle.

I will visit my service writer in the morning and see what he is willing / able to do. I was just past 3 yr warranty and he replaced the first pump no charge.

I have a Z51 PS Cooler that I will install with either the GM pump if I can have done as a warranty item, or if not will spring for the turn one and still add the cooler.

Ed

Quick Reply: PS Pump Failures - Two in 6 HPDE's