Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Am or ALMS - which to go see live!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Grand Am or ALMS - which to go see live!?

I am tempted to go see the ALMS race in Baltimore, but never been to a inner city race like this before!
Is it similar to a road course where if you go in general admission you can walk around and see the race from different areas of the track, or are you better off getting grand stand seating!?

The other option is go to the Grand Am Rolex race at NJMP here in NJ, which ive been to for AMA Superbike racing and I like the fact you can walk around and see the race from all over...

Though the ALMS would be nice with Corvette Racing Team, but its the same weekend as the AMA!

Guess I could just go to the Grand Am race in July, then Sat Sept 3 go to ALMS race, skip the indy car race that Sun and go catch race #2 of AMA races on Sun!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

If you like close, tuff racin' like on a asphalt short track but with sports cars go to a Grand Am Rolex race and also the Continental race.

If you enjoy the fastest, trick, high tech sports cars by all means go see the ALMS.

Ah........just do both!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:55 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dont for get the paddock. Just walking around the paddock the day before the race is eye candy
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have wondered about the same thing myself. I was trying to choose a race or two to go to this summer and may have decided on the Grand Am and Nationwide races at Road America (both races are on the same day) a week or so after the track event that I plan on attending at RA.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

ALMS for me. Love the ultra-fast, high-tech stuff.

Z//
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

been going to both for years now.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Probly will do both! But at the ALMS if I get "Grounds Admission" and Pit Pass I'm sure the paddock will be sweet to see, but will I be able to see some good areas of the track during the race or am I better off in one spot in a grandstand!?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Probly will do both! But at the ALMS if I get "Grounds Admission" and Pit Pass I'm sure the paddock will be sweet to see, but will I be able to see some good areas of the track during the race or am I better off in one spot in a grandstand!?
I haven't looked at the Baltimore setup but generally speaking it's much harder to deal with street races when it comes to getting good views - so seats are usually the way to go (IMO, of course.) Try to attend all three days as Fridays have the lowest spectator attendance and you can see things and get around much more easily.

The downside (actually, one of several) is that these street courses really don't show off any of these racing cars in their best light. The street races tend to be "events" that focus just as much on the "party atmosphere" as the cars and racing. To really appreciate these things (especially the ALMS prototype cars) you need to see them on a real race track where they can stretch their legs. They are truly impressive machines (the ALMS cars, anyway. Current Indycars = eh.

Looking at the ALMS site I see that they say "all seating is general admission on Friday" so you can move around from bleacher to bleacher on Friday. That lets you try out different views and buy favored seats NEXT year.

Grounds admission is OK but only on Friday. Once the spectator count goes up you'll be fighting for any good viewing spots at the fence. And there will be precious few spots to comfortably sit down and after X hours of hiking around in the hot, humid Baltimore day... Friday general admission gives you bleachers any time any place.

Anyway, if I was going to this one (and I have attended *many* races over the years) I would get:

a. Good bleacher seats (up high is better) for Saturday and Sunday (get the three day reserved which also gives you grounds admission and the price is the same as if you bought just Sat & Sun separately.)

b. paddock passes. Well worth the price of admission! Bring your camera!

c. parking (if desired - I always do this as by the end of the day this tired old man...))

Z//
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Zoxxo, thanks for the recommendation! Ill def go with ur suggestions and get the bleacher seats! Not sure if I can swing ther fri taking off from work tho :-/ Can ya do the paddock pass on sat & sun as well!? If so ill definitely do that!
Old 03-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
Can ya do the paddock pass on sat & sun as well!? If so ill definitely do that!
Yes. Of course. Here's the web site for the Baltimore race tickets:

http://baltimoregrandprix.com/tickets/

A tip: be in the paddock before ALMS practice and/or qualifying (refer to event schedule.) Figure out where the cars will line up to go on track when the time comes and be there waiting for them to do so. It's a great way to (a) get good, up-close pics of all the cars and (b) talk to the team personnel (I usually get to chatting with Dan Binks of the Corvette team.)

Z//
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I've done many street races, and they usually are a nightmare for getting around...both for participants and spectators. I don't know Baltimore, but the map on the above website makes the venue look promising. You seem to be able to get around the infield fairly well, and there is a bridge to the paddock.

However, pit lane is NOT on the front straight, and it is before the paddock entrance. This will make sessions changes a nightmare, and you'll have a lot of frustrated drivers and crew. So hanging out in the paddock might me less friendly than usualy, then getting back to watch a session could be a nightmare it teams are trying to get across to pit lane. The cars will have to "parade" from the paddock to pit lane each session, wasting lots of time that could be hot laps.

But to the point....ALMS cars are better IMO, but Grand AM is currently much better racing. I hope that changes, and ALMS has a better car package in both GT and LMP ( they need to can the GTC and LMPC though)
Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Alms is the beat sports car race there is...bottom line
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Alms was great at Road America , I will go every year from now on
I wish the DP ran close to me

Old 03-06-2011, 07:48 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Picking a place that has a Jumbo tron TV close by is great. You can see the race as it goes by your viewing place AND on TV

Dont forget to program your DVR at home. So when you get back home you can watch the race again
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

A bunch of us are going to Rolex Grand Am at NJMP in July. We plan on getting the the VIP tickets

Grand Am VIP Sunday Only

Package Includes:
  • Individual ticket and Club Passes
  • Circuit Admission, Pit and Paddock access
  • Elevated 2nd story VIP Club in the Officers Club above the backstretch with air conditioning, large deck for excellent viewing, and elegant lounge areas.
  • Closed circuit TV monitors
  • Beer, Wine and Soft Drink Open Bar
  • Full Breakfast and Lunch Buffet along with snacks throughtout the day
  • Event Program
  • Exclusive VIP Parking in the Thunderbolt Paddock

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 03-06-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I was also wondering what package to select; this discussion helped - thanks guys. Also, the East Region NCCC has several good packages, including Corvette parking - check their web site for the Baltimore GP link.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Picking a place that has a Jumbo tron TV close by is great. You can see the race as it goes by your viewing place AND on TV
A very good point!!

Dont forget to program your DVR at home. So when you get back home you can watch the race again
That only works if the races are being shown on TV - which they aren't (ALMS anyway)

Z//

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Am or ALMS - which to go see live!?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Anomir
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALMS without a doubt. Hands down better.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Kind of a sore subject as my home track Miller motorsports park just gave away both races this year over less than $10,000(rumor has is) on both races, on the brightside they just did spend $350,000 on a zip line ride question is who is going to ride it if they don't have any races.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Kind of a sore subject as my home track Miller motorsports park just gave away both races this year over less than $10,000(rumor has is) on both races, on the brightside they just did spend $350,000 on a zip line ride question is who is going to ride it if they don't have any races.
Yeah that sucks, I was going to try to make either a Grand Am or ALMS race there this season if the schedule worked out.

Quick Reply: Grand Am or ALMS - which to go see live!?