Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to Mount GPS Antenna for Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Where to Mount GPS Antenna for Traqmate

For those of you who have a data acquisition system with a GPS antenna (like Traqmate), where are you mounting the antenna (GPS receiver). I have an FRC so I could mount on the roof or on the rear deck - where are you guys putting it?

Also, since we are on the subject, where are you mounting the sensor unit (the actual data acquisition box)?

Getting ready to try out my new toy. Thanks, Brad
Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM
timsam
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the Avatar pic I’m assuming you are running a C5.

My Father-In-Law mounts the unit (using velcro) in the center, right behind the hump behind the seats. Then runs the antenna out the back lid and tapes it to the rear window for race weekends. Just make sure the lid doesn’t snag the wire too much.

For my C6, it is the same mounting point for the unit; it’s just that my antenna is run up between the glass and the roof halo, and taped to the glass.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I mounted the GPS antenna on my C6 and the very top center of the rear hatch glass with some heavy duty 3M double sided foam tape. Never moved. I ran the wire up under the halo trim piece, down behind the inside pillar side piece and out where my harness bar hole in the interior panel was, across the bar and then down into my center console lid.

I mounted the sensor unit in my center console and took the lid off during track days (the unit does heat up). I put some foam under it to level it out and used some velcro to keep it attached.

All worked great for me.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

One of the advantages to fibreglass cars is the antenna can "see" right through the body panels. I've often run a Garmin GPS on teh way to the track sitting in the cupholder. Factory C6 GPS receiver is on the driver's side vent in the dash. Looks like your car is a C5 but I'm gonna guess there's a similar place if you want to tuck it away.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brad, mine is on the rear deck (closer to the window than the rear bumper) I secured it with double sided tape and then ran the wire inside the gap where the trunk meets the roof panel and then ran the wire along the panels inside so they are out of sight and then under the trunk carpeting to bring it to the center console.

I have it there for now, mounted a little piece of heat shield for it to sit on and used a shim to make it level but also to create airflow under it (secured with velcro)

I do worry about the heat in there though. I will most likely move it to the rear trunk floor area, up close between the seats, since I have a start and set button my my display.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On top of the center speaker grill. Traqmate itself mounted under cover to center console storage area. This custom bracket mounts using the same screws that hold the center console arm rest on to the lid.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Dan - I like your custom mount, very clever. Steve - I was hoping I could mount the GPS on the rear deck and have it pick up the signals ok. I guess it works fine. I think I'll try it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to Mount GPS Antenna for Traqmate

Quick Reply: Where to Mount GPS Antenna for Traqmate