Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 shock install issue...

Old 02-25-2011, 07:06 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default c5 shock install issue...

I posted this in the C5 forum, but thought maybe someone here may have seen this before...

I am in the process of changing my C5 shocks to the c6 z06 shocks. The front passenger side went in no issue. The drivers side is where I am having my problem

The front drivers side c6 z06 shock is fouling/chaffing the upper control arm. It's the upper plastic shroud on the shock that is touching the upper control arm. No matter what I do, it seems that I can't get it to not touch the arm.

Search did not turn up anything

When I raise the suspension, like when the car is on the ground, there is no issue. I am just worried something may be wrong with the shock or my suspension components.

Lower right portion of the shock

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

It is pretty close tolerance when the suspension is full droop.

The plastic cover looks bigger than on the stock shocks.

Your upper CA may have moved, compare both sides at the bushings.

If it clears when down, you really don't have a problem.

2004 C5Z would be a better choice as they are specifically tuned to c5 models.

Post another pic showing the upper CA's both sides (good pic btw)

Last edited by froggy47; 02-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:42 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by froggy47
It is pretty close tolerance when the suspension is full droop.

The plastic cover looks bigger than on the stock shocks.

Your upper CA may have moved, compare both sides at the bushings.

If it clears when down, you really don't have a problem.

2004 C5Z would be a better choice as they are specifically tuned to c5 models.

Post another pic showing the upper CA's both sides (good pic btw)

Thanks for the reply....

I only do HPDE, so I saved the $150 on the shocks. After reading how many people went with the C6 shocks with no complaints I figured it would be worth the saved money .... besides, the driver still ain't worth a darn!

And another guy posted that his also hits in the C5 tech forum, which makes me feel better

Yeah I was gonna do that and thanks for the compliment.. I try to make it easy for people to try and help me!

And I will check them out later when I get home from work and I may post a pic just for the heck of it..lol

Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

normal, at full droop the rear is totally F'd up. Just look at the angle of the upper bushing and it's not square at all. Check it for wear after you've driven some, and I doubt you'll see any evidence of rubbing.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
bags142
Pro

I un-installed and re-installed the shock and it still hits... then I did the rears and they hit too..

lmao.. guess at full droop, they hit.. although they are not much bigger than the previous shocks... about 1/4 inch.. oh well...

and just cause I said I would here are pics of the drivers side upper control arm bushings, they look ok to me, but for those that don't know... I don't know jack!! haha

fwd bushing

rear fwd \bushing..lol

And thanks David, after I lower the car, I will throw some masking tape on there to monitor wear
Old 02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

The bushings look ok, maybe a very slight shift of the control arm, but nothing to sweat. I would just drive it, I think you are fine.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
bags142
Pro

The bushings look ok, maybe a very slight shift of the control arm, but nothing to sweat. I would just drive it, I think you are fine.

Thanks!

Hopefully it will be back on the ground by friday for a test drive on some on/off ramps

And of course, if their are any issues I will be back asking questions
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Check the lower control arms too (or post a pic of them). Usually it's the front uppers that shift but anything is possible (large pothole etc.)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
bags142
Pro

Check the lower control arms too (or post a pic of them). Usually it's the front uppers that shift but anything is possible (large pothole etc.)

Since we seem to be having our own show n tell in this thread, here are some pics of the lower control arm bushings. The fwd one looks a little odd to me, it looks like it has shifted, but this pic of my drivers side looks very similar to the passenger side.

fwd lwr

rear lwr

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

They all do that... don't worry about it until the rear edge of the front arm of the LCA is touching the cradle. They you can buy a new OEM LCA or put polys in or whatever.

As the LCA shifts backwards it will adjust your allignment settings so if you see any noticable shifts it may be prudent to have the front end allignment re-done.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

The stock setup do "all do that" when driven hard & especially with sticky tires.

Having said that you do have one side measurably different from the other.

So long as you can get the alignment you desire & hold the alignment you are ok.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

His pictures are of the same control arm... the left front lower. The rear bunshing never moves because the lip on the bushing is on the rear vs. the front where the fat part of the bushing is on the front, thus it doesn't stop the entire car from shifting forward some upder repeated hard braking w/ stickey tires.

The front lowers are the ones to watch... I've never had any of the others give me issue.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 PM
bags142
Pro

Originally Posted by travisnd
They all do that... don't worry about it until the rear edge of the front arm of the LCA is touching the cradle. They you can buy a new OEM LCA or put polys in or whatever.

As the LCA shifts backwards it will adjust your allignment settings so if you see any noticable shifts it may be prudent to have the front end allignment re-done.

AHH... rog thanks!

It will be getting aligned next week since I changed all the shocks

The stock setup do "all do that" when driven hard & especially with sticky tires.

So long as you can get the alignment you desire & hold the alignment you are ok.

Yeah those are pics of the drivers side LWR bushings. The passenger front LWR bushing looks very much the same as in the pic

But, thanks
Old 03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Changing the shocks shouldn't need a re-alignment unless you've never had it aligned to begin with. You're not changing anything that controls the alignment.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Changing the shocks shouldn't need a re-alignment unless you've never had it aligned to begin with. You're not changing anything that controls the alignment.
Depends on what you're changing to and from. The KONI 3013Sports, as an example, have a lot more "head pressure" and changed my ride height enough when compared to the C6 Z51 shocks they replaced that I needed to tweak things to get it back happy... also, some of the shocks out there are longer or shorter than stock, etc, etc... always good to check the alignment...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM
bags142
Pro

Just cause I like to follow up. lowered the car of jackstands yesterday and there are no clearance issues. Thanks again everyone for the help!

And I took it for a short drive, and the c6 z51 sways, poly bushings, and c6 z06 shocks have sure firmed things up.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 shock install issue...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c5 shock install issue...