Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawk and Stoptech C6Z 1 piece pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Default Hawk and Stoptech C6Z 1 piece pads

They are out.

Hawk Performance located in Ohio has released a new one piece brake pad for the C6 Z06/GS brake calipers. And lo and behold - we ordered Stoptech's pads for the Z06 and look what we got in the box!

Hawk released the three street compounds and DTC 70 Front and DTC 60 and 70 rear race pads.

Stoptech just has 1 compound for now.

Contact us for introductory pricing on these.

We've got this many right now

We ordered several sets of each compound including the race compounds and they are here.

Carbotech's very well regarded offering in blue XP12 glory.

Hawk's 1 piece

And a belly punch from Stoptech. Notice even more pad - we'll have to trial fit these ASAP to see wassup.

-Ken
919-388-3837
www.knsbrakes.com - a never ending battle
Old 02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nice didnt know stoptech was in the pad making business
Old 02-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Cool! I like the face drawn on the floor.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
nice didnt know stoptech was in the pad making business
Centric is the parent company and has been making (importing?) pads for some time. The Stoptech brand performance pad was released about a year ago to replace the Axxis Ultimates.

Big giant thread of Subaru owners who seem to like them

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1927505
Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Looks like Hawk and Carbotech use the same backing plate while StopTech and Cobalt share another style backing plate. The Hawk and Carbotech use the stock caliper springs but with the Stoptech and Cobalt pads you have to remove the springs.

I know the Cobalt's are riveted but what about the others, are any bonded??

Bill
Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 AM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

two thumbs up for Ken at KNS for fast delivery and awesome prices, got my HP+ and DTC70 one piece front pads from him already! Let's get this snow to melt! -Dan
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Looks like Hawk and Carbotech use the same backing plate while StopTech and Cobalt share another style backing plate. The Hawk and Carbotech use the stock caliper springs but with the Stoptech and Cobalt pads you have to remove the springs.

I know the Cobalt's are riveted but what about the others, are any bonded??

Bill
Bill, This should explain our process.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

This was from our release a few years ago.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 AM
hefti2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has everyone in the meanwhile collected some experience w/ the Stoptech single piece pads?
Do they fade less? Do they eat the rotor faster? I think that there was a purpose on GM side for having indiviual small pads, or?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by hefti2
Has everyone in the meanwhile collected some experience w/ the Stoptech single piece pads?
Do they fade less? Do they eat the rotor faster? I think that there was a purpose on GM side for having indiviual small pads, or?
They are a street pad so rotor wear should not be excessive - and after 2 years in the market we have not had customers indicate otherwise.

As far as why the padlets - I would think that for the most part PBR sold GM the system so perhaps we'd ask PBR not GM about the design.

I have only sold a couple sets of the ST 1 piece and did not get feedback. On Subaru's I have sold hundreds if not more of Stoptech pads with excellent feedback.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1927505
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I just installed a set on my St-60 and ST-40 calipers. So far they are fine. However, although the box says "no bedding necessary", I called their tech guy at Stoptech, and he advised normal (2 sets of 60-10mph) brake bedding. After going through the normal "green fade" my brake "bite" was indeed improved......as he advertized, and they also should last longer with proper bedding
Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When using the 1 piece pad do you still need to use all of the pad bolts?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:39 AM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

pm sent on pricing please.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C&M Racing
When using the 1 piece pad do you still need to use all of the pad bolts?
I would think so since there are holes in the pads for the bolts. Good question though. Anyone?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
hamdog
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with everything except the ease of replacement. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the calipers have to come off with the one piece but not the padlets.

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Bill, This should explain our process.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

This was from our release a few years ago.

Last edited by hamdog; 07-28-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by hamdog
Agree with everything except the ease of replacement. Unless I'm doing something wrong, the calipers have to come off with the one piece but not the padlets.

Read post #5

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...s-weekend.html
Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Keep the pad pins in the calipers for any pad you install.

as far as the ease of replacement -

The Pad pins can be a nuisance especially if you track the car. Since the pins are steel and the caliper is aluminum there can be complications.

Either the pins will seize or they will strip. It is best to leave the pins in and don't touch them.

You end up having to remove the caliper to do a brake job regardless. The 1 piece pads end up making it easier because you don't have to hold 6 padlets against the pistons while you try to slide the caliper over the rotor.

Some of you may have other opinions but this is what I have witnessed and experienced.

- Joe
Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I agree with you that one should avoid removing pins whenever possible, but I don't get your point that the one piece design is easier to replace. After all, with one piece design you have to remove at least 2 pins. Look at the pictures of one piece pads; they have 2 holes on them! :-)

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Keep the pad pins in the calipers for any pad you install.

as far as the ease of replacement -

The Pad pins can be a nuisance especially if you track the car. Since the pins are steel and the caliper is aluminum there can be complications.

Either the pins will seize or they will strip. It is best to leave the pins in and don't touch them.

You end up having to remove the caliper to do a brake job regardless. The 1 piece pads end up making it easier because you don't have to hold 6 padlets against the pistons while you try to slide the caliper over the rotor.

Some of you may have other opinions but this is what I have witnessed and experienced.

- Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Hawk and Stoptech C6Z 1 piece pads

Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
I agree with you that one should avoid removing pins whenever possible, but I don't get your point that the one piece design is easier to replace. After all, with one piece design you have to remove at least 2 pins. Look at the pictures of one piece pads; they have 2 holes on them! :-)
I haven't used the one piece myself but I do change my pads by removing the caliper. Once you remove the caliper away from the rotor I believe the one piece will slip right into place. The two holes will align with the center pins and the notches at the ends of the pad will set against outside pins....................

I like the padlets. I use DTC70 and they stop good enough to kick in the ABS with moderate brake pedal pressure. So even if the one piece work better I can't make use of them. Plus I can swap pads around and move t rear rotors when they wear down.

DH
Old 11-17-2011, 01:14 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I haven't used the one piece myself but I do change my pads by removing the caliper. Once you remove the caliper away from the rotor I believe the one piece will slip right into place. The two holes will align with the center pins and the notches at the ends of the pad will set against outside pins....................

I like the padlets. I use DTC70 and they stop good enough to kick in the ABS with moderate brake pedal pressure. So even if the one piece work better I can't make use of them. Plus I can swap pads around and move t rear rotors when they wear down.

DH
I think I'm leaning towards Raybestos ST43s. They don't harm the rotors at all (compared to other similar race pads) yet provide excellent initial bite and I heard the pad life is also about 3 times longer than the comparable Hawk and similar pads. I am not affiliated with Raybestos at all, but I used them on EvoX (it's very popular in the Evo world), and was very pleased. They did squeak a lot at the track on the EvoX, though.. We'll see!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Ozer
I think I'm leaning towards Raybestos ST43s. They don't harm the rotors at all (compared to other similar race pads) yet provide excellent initial bite and I heard the pad life is also about 3 times longer than the comparable Hawk and similar pads. I am not affiliated with Raybestos at all, but I used them on EvoX (it's very popular in the Evo world), and was very pleased. They did squeak a lot at the track on the EvoX, though.. We'll see!
3 times longer?

No rotor wear?

Really?

Quick Reply: Hawk and Stoptech C6Z 1 piece pads