Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egress with a head restraint halo seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 AM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Egress with a head restraint halo seat

So I just got a C5 T1 car. It came equipped with a Cobra Suzuka seat. I tried doing egresses with the door shut and kept getting my head stuck between the upper cage bar, seat and the door. I could get out, but had to tweak my body pretty bad to do so. I'm 5'8", 165 lbs, so the seat is mounted forward a little.

I was set on purchasing a Sparco Circuit seat with the head restraint halo, but I don't think I'd be able to get out at all. Anyone out there running a halo type seat and can egress from their car?

Jim
Old 02-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

If you look at my car I have the Cobra Sebring. I trimmed the head restraint on the left a bit to give me the room I needed to fet out the window. I would have gotten the other Cobra with the big hoop, but I would never be able to get out of my window.

Oli
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Jim,

You did not seem big so I am surprised you can't get out. A Hans makes this worse as does a rollover with mild "a" pillar failure. I would also make sure you can exit the passenger side too. Some things that might help....remove steering wheel, adjust seat layback, slider if using stock seat bolts anyway, exit with belly to the top of door not your back. If you really have issues you can put an inboard A piller support and hook a second left side net and use a non halo seat but it has to be a good net well anchored front and rear with a cam ratchet tightener to make the net really tight. You can also add an additional B pillar to halo bar triangular support to act as head control on the left with a rightsidenet but you should add the left net to control shoulders if you do that. You might want to try my metal ultrashield seat to see if you can get out of my car. One of the nice things about metal seats is that you can cut them. For example a properly supported metal seat has no expiration date like fia plastic. You can cut the shoulder holes and reweld the perfect shoulder heights for Hans. That was a big problem for me with fia seats. And ther is nothing safer than seats connected to cages and metal seats require it almost while fia seats were never designed for it.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

We run the Kirkey road race seat with short left side Halo, lets us crawl out the window easier. Ain't got no doors...it's a stock car, SCCA GTA type.

Get notified of new replies

To Egress with a head restraint halo seat

Quick Reply: Egress with a head restraint halo seat