Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

< Best option for, Brake Fluid, Brake Lines, and street pads.......C5/6, Thanks......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default < Best option for, Brake Fluid, Brake Lines, and street pads.......C5/6, Thanks......

What does the 'majority' of the track junkies use for the following?

1. Brake Fluid
2. Brake Lines(brand?)
3. Brake pads(more of the street variety), EDIT: I don't think people are going to justify more than $150 on a set of pads; Hawk HPS are my typical choice)

I do NOT track or race my car
(government/military income), but feel this section would have the most knowledge on these items from 'actual experience' here on the forum

Thanks very much

Last edited by SteveDoten; 02-23-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Motul is very popular amongst hard-core track junkies but ATE Super Blue is also pretty common and is about 2/3 the price of Motul. I use it for my street cars as well because it's DOT4 and therefore higher temp, plus the fact that it comes in amber and blue makes it REALLY easy to know when you've pulled all the old fluid through the line and you're into the new. Forum vendor KNS Brakes sells it and it's not hard to find online.

I've been using Carbotech race pads on my Z and love them. Lots of folks talk up the 1521 Ceramics they have for street use as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Not to hijack, but it may be of interest to the OP...can the ATE brake fluid be used in the clutch?
Old 02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

1. Brake fluid- AP Racing DOT5.1. AP is one of the most famous/trusted names in brakes. This particular variety of fluid has plenty of heat capacity for street/autoX use, is DOT compliant, and on the shelf and ready to ship.
AP Racing brake fluid is being used by many of the top teams in professional motorsport, including a huge number of teams in NASCAR, ALMS, WRC, etc.

2. Brake lines- We are launching a new line of ultra-high quality SS braided brake lines in the next few weeks, and we will be offering an application for C5's and C6's. These lines will feature stainless steel fittings from Germany, abrasion resistant coating over tightly-woven stainless braid, dupont teflon inner lining, assembled and tested in Ohio , available in a wide range of colors...a couple of unique features not available from other manufacturers. This is a well-known and highly trusted supplier in the motorcycle industry. I will be updating with more info soon.

3. The sintered CL RC5+ is one of the best dual-purpose street/track pads on the market. It is highly capable for daily use, autoX, and light track duty on street tires if you ever change your mind and decide to go that route. They're perfect for canyon carving, don't make much noise, reasonable dust, great cold bite.
Front C5/C6
Rear C5/C6

As with the fluid, these are on the shelf and can ship today. You can read about the sintered technology here.

There are some reviews on this forum, and pages of feedback/reviews on the RC5+ here. They are becoming quite popular in several markets.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We are a site sponsor. You can order from our website, or call to have your questions answered, place order, etc. We don't have an automated attendent...only actual humans...gasp! Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 02-23-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I can help you with all your needs, we have all name brand fluids from Motul to Castrol SRF. We sell Goodridgr SS lines best in the buis. The 1521 is a trmendous street pad. Contact me at 216-780-8825 I offer 7% discount on pads.

The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser, and has won multiple SCCA Solo 2 and Prosolo National Championships. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. Bobcat 1521™ compound has also been found to extend the life of your rotors 2-3 times. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Doten
What does the 'majority' of the track junkies use for the following?

1. Brake Fluid
2. Brake Lines(brand?)
3. Brake pads(more of the street variety)

I do NOT track or race my car
(government/military income), but feel this section would have the most knowledge on these items from 'actual experience' here on the forum

Thanks very much
Steve,
First of all, thanks for your service

1. For street use only, I go to WalMart and get the Prestone DOT 4. It's more than good enough. No sense in going with a very high wet boiling point, high dollar brake fluid when you are not going to stress it. For track use, I use the ATE Super Blue. I've not ever boiled the ATE Super Blue and I brake hard.
2. I had the SS lines installed and have been fighting an air bubble ever since. I will have to take the Z in a dealership to have it bled while exercising the ABS system with the TECH II. Do a search on the ZO6 forum to get better details on problems that individuals have had with the installation. I don't think this mod would be significant for a street only Z.
3. I use the PosiQuiet pads for the street; however, they are really pretty wimpy compared to the Hawk HP Plus I use for the track. They are low dust and are quiet but you may want a slightly more agressive pad.

Hope this helps!

Jim
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Steve,
First of all, thanks for your service

1. For street use only, I go to WalMart and get the Prestone DOT 4. It's more than good enough. No sense in going with a very high wet boiling point, high dollar brake fluid when you are not going to stress it. For track use, I use the ATE Super Blue. I've not ever boiled the ATE Super Blue and I brake hard.
2. I had the SS lines installed and have been fighting an air bubble ever since. I will have to take the Z in a dealership to have it bled while exercising the ABS system with the TECH II. Do a search on the ZO6 forum to get better details on problems that individuals have had with the installation. I don't think this mod would be significant for a street only Z.
3. I use the PosiQuiet pads for the street; however, they are really pretty wimpy compared to the Hawk HP Plus I use for the track. They are low dust and are quiet but you may want a slightly more agressive pad.

Hope this helps!

Jim

You don't want to be wasting your money on racing-quality fluid, lines, pads, etc. If you're only driving your Vette on the streets (no race track duty), then the things Jim (jlutherva) mentioned above are more than good enough and a lot cheaper.

-- Bob
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Steve, I'm a big fan of CarboTech pads with great results on several vehicles and I can testify to most of what Adam said. If you've ever had a panic stop on the street where you felt the brakes were at the limit, CarboTech responds to additional force on the pedal and keeps digging in harder. They have more grip cold than the OEM.

It's best to start with fresh rotors if switching to any non-metallic pad for best results so maybe wait until ready to replace them.

I agree with others race fluid and even braided lines aren't necessary for the street unless you do some mountain or canyon driving. Changing fluid regularly is more important.

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 02-23-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

We can get you Centric Posi-quiet pads or Hawk HPS...we sell both brands.

[IMG]I agree with others race fluid and even braided lines aren't necessary for the street unless you do some mountain or canyon driving.[/IMG]
My expectation was that Steve may end up doing some of this, hence my fluid recommendation.

Get notified of new replies

To < Best option for, Brake Fluid, Brake Lines, and street pads.......C5/6, Thanks......

Quick Reply: < Best option for, Brake Fluid, Brake Lines, and street pads.......C5/6, Thanks......