Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spread caliper on rear of 93 Vette, where to buy and ensure quality.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spread caliper on rear of 93 Vette, where to buy and ensure quality.

Yes, I know there are vendors here. But the question also arises, if buying a rebuilt, re-manufactured caliper, how do I know it isnt spread also. There is no data that I know of to tell whether a caliper is spread, so , does anyone here have any data, or know where to get new calipers, besides GM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't have any info....but I would think that's really rare. I don't know that a caliper will spread unless subjected to the rigors of track duty which is unlikely for the general population of used calipers that might be had used.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I know somebody who was selling the calipers from his 90 that went into a ditch. He did have them posted for sale in the C4 section. The car had never been tracked and had only been autocrossed for a couple of seasons so I doubt they were spread.

Ooops I should have checked the listing before posting. However, there are a couple of other postings for rear calipers. I believe they were functionally the same from 88-96.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-21-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I know somebody who was selling the calipers from his 90 that went into a ditch. He did have them posted for sale in the C4 section. The car had never been tracked and had only been autocrossed for a couple of seasons so I doubt they were spread.

Bill
Will check, thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
There is no data that I know of to tell whether a caliper is spread
Just measure the parallelism of the caliper between the mounting face of the piston and the opposite mounting face where the pad seats. If they are within say .005 you are fine. When I measured spread calipers(its always been the fronts on mine,) the parallelism is .080-.200, its a big, noticeable number. I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a used(all I use myself but I never buy them from a raced car) or remanufactured caliper; they only become spread thru a high heat racing condition.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Just measure the parallelism of the caliper between the mounting face of the piston and the opposite mounting face where the pad seats. If they are within say .005 you are fine. When I measured spread calipers(its always been the fronts on mine,) the parallelism is .080-.200, its a big, noticeable number. I wouldn't have any hesitation buying a used(all I use myself but I never buy them from a raced car) or remanufactured caliper; they only become spread thru a high heat racing condition.
Thanks, I am asking another member about two he has. Hopefully he will get back with me soon.
If not, I am sure there are more out there. Strange how I never noticed it on the other ones. They must have just warn down enough to not show.

Get notified of new replies

To Spread caliper on rear of 93 Vette, where to buy and ensure quality.

Quick Reply: Spread caliper on rear of 93 Vette, where to buy and ensure quality.