Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST2 Engine and Clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:01 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default ST2 Engine and Clutch advice

I picked up a 99 FRC corvette that ran ITE in SCCA. I have done some mods and restoration to convert it to ST2. Just completed my first race weekend with it and it ran pretty well. Except the clutch is making nasty noises both on the dyno and in the paddock. And according to my data I lost about 3 seconds per lap shifting gears at Infineon. It took me over 3/4 second for each shift. If I tried to shift faster the shifter would just refuse to go into gear. BTW, what is a typical upshift duration for racers? So I am going to pull the clutch and slave and replace it with a new one. I think the car already has an aluminum flywheel. Thinking about the following clutches:

1. LS6 or LS7 with aluminum flywheel
2. Spec clutch
3. Quartermaster (but I like to drive the car into my trailer)
4. Exedy twin disc (I was given this clutch for free and it's sitting in my shop but looks pretty used).

The car also has a custom built (heads/cam/fast 90 intake) LS1 engine that was putting down 422 rwhp. I had it detuned to 372 rwhp by pulling timing up top. It has a stage 2 ARE dry sump and each time I check the catch can there is water in it. I am strongly considering pulling the engine while I do the clutch swap, selling it, and replacing with a crate LS6. I also want to update the ECU from the 99 operating system to the 02-04 version in my ZO6. Would you ST2 guys recommend the LS6 swap or trying to work with the engine I have? I like the idea of a stock engine for reliability. Thanks.

Some pics from the race that my friend took (#78 Corvette):

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...2-13-Infineon/

Last edited by redtopz; 02-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

How much tq? Do you have a dyno chart you want to share? LS7 clutches are heavy iirc and overkill if all you want is a stock ls6. So your dumping water out of your catch can? Do you have a breather on it that's letting cold air in and condensing with the hot air in the pcv system?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I'd go LS6 with Quartermaster.......
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
ssdeuce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
How much tq? Do you have a dyno chart you want to share? LS7 clutches are heavy iirc and overkill if all you want is a stock ls6. So your dumping water out of your catch can? Do you have a breather on it that's letting cold air in and condensing with the hot air in the pcv system?
The torque is not high enough to have any real benefit over a crate LS6. I think it puts down 388 tq to the wheels through 3.73 rear gears. There is a catch can with breather connected to the dry sump reservoir. I'm not sure how water is getting into the oil, but it's too much to be just from condensation. It has a rag wrapped around it and it's inside a sealed box. I had this problem with my gto and shortly thereafter found a cracked piston. The car definitely has an aluminum flywheel. It looks like new from the front.

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'd go LS6 with Quartermaster.......
Yeah, I think I should swap in a crate LS6. I have a strong feeling this engine won't last long because I have gone through a couple "built" LS2 engines myself on a drag car and seen many more fail at the track. Fortunately I got a great deal on this car so a $3200 LS6 won't hurt too bad. I really loved the feel of the aero along with my LG coilovers.

The other feature I like about this car is the combination of a MN6 tranny with 3.73 gears. It results in first through third nearly identical to my C5Z, but a shorter gear in 4th. The car pulls harder in 4th. However the tranny is leaking also so I should have it looked at while everything is out. Is the MN6 as durable as the MN12?

BTW, did you see your decals on the car?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I know where you can get an LS6 (new) for $2775 + shipping. Also, have you considered a tilton clutch?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mgarfias
I know where you can get an LS6 (new) for $2775 + shipping. Also, have you considered a tilton clutch?
Wow, that's a steal! When I tell other racecar owners how much our engines cost they can't believe it . BTW, I already have a crate LS6 sitting in my shop which is one reason why I'm so tempted to pull this LS1 out. My buddy is a GM parts manager and hooked me up last year with a spare. But I'm sure there are a few T1 guys who would want to ****** that engine up.

Can I use a tilton clutch with the aluminum flywheel I already have? I would definitely like to shift faster because right now it seems to take an eternity.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:24 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

No. Stick a tilton 5.5" triple assembly in there and be done with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Originally Posted by redtopz
Can I use a tilton clutch with the aluminum flywheel I already have? I would definitely like to shift faster because right now it seems to take an eternity.
Nope, tilton has their own flywheel setup, steel, but really light weight.

Tiltons are going to be like on/off switches. I looked into putting one in, but street use is basically out after putting them in. A plus for them, is that they use their own throwout/slave setup, so you won't have to deal with the POS oem crap.

Here: http://www.tiltonracing.com/content....st2&id=428&m=d
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We have heard more then a few 'built' LS2s become history.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

tilton or QM and you'll never look back
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You may consider the Quarter Master 7.25 " Optimum V..... a little more durable than the 5.5 stuff. We all know how fun it is to put clutches in these cars especially with long headers. I use the 7.25 unit and I have been happy with it....and I drive it into the trailer....
Old 02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Well I think I'm convinced to go with a tilton or QM. Price will play a factor because it looks like the tilton carbon triple is about half of what my car cost . The 7.25" QM that Raft is running sounds like a good clutch for me because I don't want to repeat this process anytime soon and I know I won't winch my car. I'm going to start pulling everything out today.

Here's a short vid of my car in action last weekend. I was more aggressive with shifting during qualifying but I was short shifting to 4th all weekend because I didn't trust the engine at sustained high rpms.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Sent PM

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
Just a heads up......This deal is all gone I just got off the phone and they can't get anymore at that price.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Originally Posted by geerookie
Just a heads up......This deal is all gone I just got off the phone and they can't get anymore at that price.
Sorry dude. I had called when Oli popped his motor, at that time they still had 4 left. Then again, at the price they were willing to sell for, it makes sense that they all left.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

I pulled my drivetrain yesterday, but left the slave cylinder dangling on the hydraulic line because I couldn't figure out how to disconnect this $%#$$#@# fitting. I tried to push/pull and tried to get a fuel disconnect tool in there, but nothing worked yet. I might just replace the whole line with a -3 line to the new throwout bearing.

I ordered a "Danny Popp Special" clutch yesterday from Dave at Quartermaster. I'm going to do a compression test and leakdown test on my engine before I pull it. Also, this tranny is leaking around the seals so I guess I need to pull it apart and install new gaskets at the least.

Get notified of new replies

To ST2 Engine and Clutch advice

Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be pleased with the clutch....PM me your phone #'s if you have questions about install.....or that pesky line .
Old 02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If you like crappy customer service and want a lot of practice at pulling your driveline, buy a Spec.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sperkins
If you like crappy customer service and want a lot of practice at pulling your driveline, buy a Spec.
I know a lot of people don't like their spec.... I guess I've been lucky with my stg 3. No issues, pulled driveline once to install and thats it. Been 2-3 years or so since I put it in.

Quick Reply: ST2 Engine and Clutch advice