Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-powered Camaros are back

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default High-powered Camaros are back

Last Updated: February 17. 2011 1:00AM
High-powered Camaros are back
Supercharged models relive Baldwin-Motion heyday with rides ranging from 525-800 hp
Larry Edsall / Special to The Detroit News

The ZL1 isn't the only fabled Chevrolet Camaro making a comeback. So is the Baldwin-Motion Camaro — and in five flavors.

Chevrolet built 69 ultimate-performance ZL1 Camaros for the 1969 model year. Last week at the Chicago auto show, it unveiled a new ZL1 Camaro, though you'll have to wait until the 2012 model year to get one of these supercharged 550-horsepower cars.

Advertisement

Back in the heyday of muscle cars, the Baldwin Auto Co.

, a Chevrolet dealership in Baldwin, N.Y., and Motion Performance founder Joel Rosen produced a series of Baldwin-Motion Camaros.

Built from 1967-74, they excelled on the street, the drag strip and the racetrack, and lately have become sought-after by classic car collectors.

Now the cars are being crafted by Howard Tanner and his Redline Motorsports and sold by DeNooyer Chevrolet of Albany, N.Y. At the age of 70, Rosen is back as well, consulting with Tanner on the cars' construction and the selection of components.

The cars are available immediately at DeNooyer, which has a high-performance history that traces to second-generation dealer principal Jim DeNooyer, a former hot-rodder.

There are five versions of the new Baldwin-Motion Camaro: The Motion SS-427 is equipped with a GM LS7 aluminum engine and is tuned to produce 525 horsepower.

The Motion Phase III 427 Camaro has the same engine, but with a different intake manifold, camshaft and other components that help it release 600 horsepower.

The Motion SS-454 carries a GM LSX engine tuned to provide 550 horsepower.

The Motion Phase III 454 has the same LSX engine but, like the Phase III 427, has components and tuning to produce 625 horsepower.

The Motion Phase III 427-SC Supercar uses the GM LS7 engine but also a 2.8-liter twin-screw supercharger to provide 800 horsepower.

Prices range from less than $80,000 for the SS-427 to $150,000 for the 427-SC Supercar.

Options include the same clutch that GM puts into the Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

For information, visit www.officialbaldwinmotion.com, www.denooyerperformancedivision.com or www.redline-motorsports.net.

Larry Edsall is a Phoenix-based freelance writer. You can reach him at ledsall@***.net

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110217/...#ixzz1EDLba6O3

Motion is still open selling tons of ricer wheels next town over from me. EPA put him under with big fines when he was making the high powered Camaros.

more here http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/make...n_History.aspx

did some high powered Vettes also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 02-17-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:14 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just in time for $$$ gasoline....
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Gas is about the same cost now as it was when the Baldwin-Rosen monsters were built, and if you have the money for one of these babies gas money is probably not a great concern.

I'm just thankful that specialty cars are still being built, and are being supported by the manufacturers. Gives us more stuff to argue over with our Ford and Mopar friends (you do have some of those, don't you?)

I'd heard about the ZL1, but not about the resurrection of the Baldwin Motion cars; thanks for sharing!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Funny, I used to street race/drag race against Howard's cars back in the early 90s, C4 days. Me and 4 of my friends all had modded C4s and would line up against RedLine Customer cars at LVD all the time and always made them look stupid. They would be pushing the cars up to the line and try all sorts of tricks to get a lower ETs, we would drive up and win everytime.

I recall a time (I believe it was Howard himself) hanging in the K Mart parking lot off central ave and he pulled up in a C4 LT1 (maybe LT4) looking for a race, we all went to the "place" and he asked me "who am I racing?" My reply was "your choice, pick a color?" He ended up running my buddy Ralph and lost pretty bad. It was funny he picked that car because Ralph had just installed a NOS system and ended up spraying him, I think he thought he had us covered that time. I'm not sure he ever knew.

Good times....I'm sure he builds faster cars now, that was almost 20 years ago.

That was 1996 ish we were all running low 12s high 11s NA which was fast as hell in the mid to late 1990s, today that is what family haulers run. It was rare to see a 11 street second car at the drag strip and only a handful would run 12s. I recall when I first got into the car scene a low 13 second car was pretty fast. I had a Hurricane CBR 600 that would run high 11s and only once had a street car hang and that was a 440 cuda with spray.

Last edited by L98Terror; 02-17-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Funny, I used to street race/drag race against Howard's cars back in the early 90s,

Good times....I'm sure he builds faster cars now, that was almost 20 years ago.

Wow....didn't realize you were about as old as me....and cut from the same stock.....well come to think of it...we are are really..
Old 02-17-2011, 01:56 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

should be another thread what's you age in the RR AX section

Get notified of new replies

To High-powered Camaros are back

Quick Reply: High-powered Camaros are back