Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of parts and cost to convert C5 ZO-6 to track car???

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 AM
BlackRocket
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default List of parts and cost to convert C5 ZO-6 to track car???

Can someone illustrate a list of necessary parts and cost to convert a C5 ZO-6 to a daily track car / street legal car leaving the engine stock?

Looknig at Accusump, shocks, wheels/tires, brakes, race seats, harnesses, (I already have the T1 sway bars with heim ends).

Also, since C5 T1 is going away what classes are still available to run and what mods are necessary/restricted.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:09 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Track car or racer? Big decision. And a huge difference in money.

Richard Newton
Vintage Motorsport Column
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Keep your vette on the street and buy a stock car.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

endless question. Cage installed? In today's market cheaper to buy one built up. What coolers, what brake system, it just goes on and on. Do you want to get on track or do you want to win? Better to say what your budget is for the car. Are you running HPDE or racing? Do you have an idea on what running a race car cost even to be in the front pack?

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-12-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Nothing, change brake fluid & pads
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

if they run in your area, I'd look into NASA TTA. Your bars are legal, along with a few specific mods. You can trim some weight, run sticky tires etc. Would be great for DE, then run TT for a bit of competition as your driving improves.

I'm with above.....unless you have a lot of experience, just change brake fluid and hit the track!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having 3 or 4 unlimited balance credit cards will solve any problems
Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket
Can someone illustrate a list of necessary parts and cost to convert a C5 ZO-6 to a daily track car / street legal car leaving the engine stock?

Looknig at Accusump, shocks, wheels/tires, brakes, race seats, harnesses, (I already have the T1 sway bars with heim ends).

Also, since C5 T1 is going away what classes are still available to run and what mods are necessary/restricted.

Thanks!
I see you are in Vacaville. You should come and join us at the NASA events at Infineon and Thunderhill. First event is Feb 12/13 at Infineon. Just run hpde and look into getting your time trial license for TTA with what you have (as mentioned above). The current TTA track records are held by JRL in a C5Z just like yours. Brake pads, fluids, and maybe a seat/harnesses, and harness bar. If you do use harnesses buy a defnder or hans to protect your neck. Poly bushings also are legal for TTA I think. As far as racing, C5's will be racing T1 for at least a few more years or you can race with NASA in Performance Touring or Super Touring.

Bill
Old 01-12-2011, 11:28 AM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackRocket

A daily track car/street legal car:

No cage then, so a harness bar is needed = $350
Race seat/mounts and harness = $1500ish
Hans/RagePro/helmet = $1000+
Brake ducting = $350
Tires and wheels = used under $2000
accusump = I've no idea
radiator with oil cooler = $1300
tranny/diff coolers = $ 1300
short shifter (a must IMHO) = $300
new NAPA rotors = $200
Pads = whatever you do
fluids - all of them should be changed for peace of mind
Alignment and cornerweighting = $350ish
Laptimer (to measure yourself) = $100 (with bluetooth satelite receiver on Android phone) to $2000
A buttload of time to install

That's about what I went through, and still am, with my '01Z for track duty. I still want to do the T1 bars...ran out of money/wife's patience.

You could probably do it for under $5K or up to $10K, depending on your skill as an installer or what parts you really want to use (used or new). We haven't touched on shocks/springs...

As many will say, it's cheaper to buy a car already done but I like doing things myself and knowing what and how these things are done...it's also bonding time with the car...although my patience is growing thin. NO doubt, I would have been served better if I just bought a T1 car from Phoenix.

I've always found this....make your budget, then add at least 50% so you're not amazed at the total when all is said and done. The list is not that different than other cars, I usually dump at least $10K into a car during my ownership for mods/prep.

When done, you'll have a pretty fast car...dollar for dollar...one of the fastest. Then figure about $1000 a day for HPDE days (all in...gas/hotel/food/gas/and so on). Race days will be exponentially higher, or so I"m told.

Good luck and have fun, enjoy it, it's a great experience.

Be good,
TomK
Old 01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The C5 in T1 might not be going away in 2013 if my proposal gets approved.......watch for the next FASTRACK for the decision. It could double the amount of time remaining for the C5 platform.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn't see the stickies huh for this section?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html
Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Nothing, change brake fluid & pads

Run street tires and stock wheels. Speeds will be down some but the overall cost will be lower. Speed at an HPDE doesn't matter that much since you aren't racing anybody. Getting track wheels and tires not only increases tire costs but also increases maintenance costs as wheel bearings and tie rod ends fail more often. Use the stock seat belt with the cinch feature activated and you will probably be safer than if you add a harness bar. You will have to use your legs to brace yourself when going around corners but that just gives a greater sensation of speed. The only thing I would do is add an oil cooler so the oil temp can be held down to a reasonable level. Using low performance track pads Vs the highest performance pads cuts costs since the pads cost less and the rotors last longer.

There is a tipping point where you start to do things to increase performance and once you start sliding down that hill it is tough to keep from spending a lot of money. I have seen some guys go from driving to the event in their completely stock car to showing up in an 18 wheeler with 2 track only cars and a mechanic to take care of them. Myself I went as far as harness bars, race seats, track wheels with R compound tires, BBK, race pads, larger radiator with EOC, tranny cooler and towing the car to the track on an open trailer. Thus the cost also included a tow vehicle and the trailer.

Since I got rid of the 03Z last year I have been trying to back away from that with the 08Z. Get as close to the street vehicle as possible and maybe even sell the truck and trailer.

Bill
Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have seen some guys go from driving to the event in their completely stock car to showing up in an 18 wheeler with 2 track only cars
I don't see the problem.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It's a long slippery slope. None of our advice here will matter. It's like crack. Once a person decides to just try some crack there's no helping them.

I've been running the Camaro in the LeMons and Chumps series this past year. I can't believe the amount of time we spend on that car. We're not even trying to win - we just want to finish.

I started with track events a decade or so ago. I drove to the track and then drove home at the end of the day. That was really a lot of fun.

Then I went to a dedicated track car. Now I needed a trailer, a truck and a helper. Still fun - just not as much. I was spending 2 days before the event and 2 days after the event working on the car. Still ok.

Then I moved to endurance racing. I have a 5-person team and we're spending thousands of dollars a month. We're towing for two days and running up huge motel bills. This is not as much fun as it used to be.

I actually knew all of this before I started. That's the sick part. I just had to experience it though. None of our advice will help these folks here. The addiction is just too strong.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Old 01-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
It's a long slippery slope. None of our advice here will matter. It's like crack. Once a person decides to just try some crack there's no helping them.

I actually knew all of this before I started. That's the sick part. I just had to experience it though. None of our advice will help these folks here. The addiction is just too strong.

Richard Newton
Race Cars 360
Lack of money usually cures the addiction.

Bill
Old 01-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually stand at freeway off ramps with a sign that says

"Have track car, anything helps! God Bless."
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Brake fluid, Brake pads and nothing but seat time.

Then buy a used T1 race car.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what I'm spending just to make a good TT car...... full race I could near double it
Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Brake fluid, Brake pads and nothing but seat time.

Then buy a used T1 race car.

The C5 Z06 is a "turn key" road course car - save your money for track time and have fun! seat time... seat time... seat time... You will be faster than most of the cars you'll run with as you gain experience. If you become serious about racing (vs. track time) then a used T1 car is a very reasonable option.

Get notified of new replies

To List of parts and cost to convert C5 ZO-6 to track car???

Quick Reply: List of parts and cost to convert C5 ZO-6 to track car???