Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote microphone for camera setup...where to mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:18 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Remote microphone for camera setup...where to mount?

Behind or under the driver seat has little wind, is there any place better?

This is in a gutted C5Z...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

under dash. Some people just tape over the mic and get decent results (I haven't tried it yet)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

In the center at the top of the leading/front edge of the center stowage compartment. Face the mic to the rear and use a foam wind filter over it. I've got a lot of video's using this placement and you get to hear the engine without any wind noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKVcwgC850
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the internal mic on the contour HD camera and found that taping two layers of bath towel over the microphone hole absolutely completely eliminated the wind noise. I'm stunned at how well it worked.

It's a pretty crappy little mic though - no bass.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last C5
In the center at the top of the leading/front edge of the center stowage compartment. Face the mic to the rear and use a foam wind filter over it. I've got a lot of video's using this placement and you get to hear the engine without any wind noise.

really nice sound I'm going to try that thanks for the tip
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsKVcwgC850
I need a picture
Old 01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The last thing anyone needs to hear are the things I say on track.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

I'm actually pretty quiet. One of the best things I taught myself when I started racing was to control emotions and anger. Can't say the same for driving on the street though!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jason
The last thing anyone needs to hear are the things I say on track.
That's why it's best to put the mic in the back!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

But seriously though, can you take a pic of where you're talking about :o you lost me at center storage compartment. I don't have a street car version to look at and see, just a gutted racecar. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 12:17 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am starting to look for a remote mic for my Kodak camera. Where can you get a small one that can be mounted anywhere, maybee somethign like a clip on mic? I plan on mounting the camera through one of the holes that hold the T-tops in my 73 at the top of the windshield. I thought about trying to mount the mic on the windshield just below the top trim.

I found one at radio shack for computers. It had a mounting plate that could atach to a computer monitor and then would come off of that and will hang on a collar or shirt pocket. Anybody know of something better?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
But seriously though, can you take a pic of where you're talking about :o you lost me at center storage compartment. I don't have a street car version to look at and see, just a gutted racecar. Thanks!
Sorry SIK02SS, I thought you were kidding me since I had included the video. I don't have a picture but what I'm talking about is mounting the mic in the center of the rear floor of the car about a foot from the very back end. Stock cars have a big hole for storage there that's covered with a lid on Verts and Coupes and open on Z cars. Most mics pick up from 90 deg to 120/180 degrees so facing the mic to the rear picks up on the exhaust note and minimizes all that wind noise coming through the windows.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Sorry SIK02SS, I thought you were kidding me since I had included the video. I don't have a picture but what I'm talking about is mounting the mic in the center of the rear floor of the car about a foot from the very back end. Stock cars have a big hole for storage there that's covered with a lid on Verts and Coupes and open on Z cars. Most mics pick up from 90 deg to 120/180 degrees so facing the mic to the rear picks up on the exhaust note and minimizes all that wind noise coming through the windows.
No problem, I kind of figured that Gotcha, that makes it easy for me since I just moved my whole data setup right back there, I can just keep it all together
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vettehardt
I am starting to look for a remote mic for my Kodak camera. Where can you get a small one that can be mounted anywhere, maybee somethign like a clip on mic? I plan on mounting the camera through one of the holes that hold the T-tops in my 73 at the top of the windshield. I thought about trying to mount the mic on the windshield just below the top trim.

I found one at radio shack for computers. It had a mounting plate that could atach to a computer monitor and then would come off of that and will hang on a collar or shirt pocket. Anybody know of something better?
Sorry, I don't know. Mine came with my setup. You can check Race Keeper's website and see if they sell it individually, but the problem you'll incur is it comes with a special/funny connector just for the RK system. You can always cut/splice, but it's shielded wire with about a 24 gauge (2 of em) wire inside...which makes it very difficult to re-splice or even solder...I found that out the hard way Sunday night

Get notified of new replies

To Remote microphone for camera setup...where to mount?

Quick Reply: Remote microphone for camera setup...where to mount?