Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Oiling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS3 Oiling Issues

I have read a bunch of threads here about oiling issues on LS3 equipped vettes. I have a 04 Z06 with an LS7 block stroked to 440 cid. I am using the LS3 oil pan and have catherdral port heads (gen III) and morels (no lifter trays). I also have Nitto 555 rIIs.

I am in the beginner group, but all the threads on oiling have made me paranoid as I do not want to kill this motor. (long story, but I have spent a ton of money getting the motor running right). To that end I have an accusump with an EPC with a 35 psi pressure switch.

Do I need to worry about anything given that I am on 555rIIs and have more hp than stock vettes?

Thanks in advance for your adice.

Signed/Paranoid about Blowing My Motor Up

Old 01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What I will say is that if you are tired of having motor issues, as I am... get the motor built right and then spend 2-3 thousand to dry sump it. For the C5 you can get the new Aviaid LSA drysump which lets you keep a/c and is a couple thou. It sounds like any motor that isnt stock is going to be subject to being hurt when you up the HP and put on stickier tires. I'm so tired of the cost and the downtime with motor issues, Im about to order a dry sump and hav eit installed before my 1st track day in May. Ive been running an accusump for 2 years but you have also probably read its only a bandaid. Do yourself a favour and drysump it to keep that motor healthy.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Dry sump is a must for LS3 and LS7 blocks track/ racing cars

plus stay off the rev limiter. shift in the low 6000s
Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am considering the LS-A. Has anyone installed this system?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Is this because of the block or oiling system? I have an ls3..but bored and stroked and not much is really stock...I also use the batwing oil pan..I plan on racing this year and the oiling thing scares me as well. When tires are used, is it only big left sweepers that are the problem? Or any high g's at all?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been enough investigation into this and it seems to be a number of issues that when combined can cause problems. Some folks swear that the stock system is fine while others swear at it. I feel that adding a real dry sump system is like getting insurance. The cost of a decent system is cheap when compared to the cost of a new engine. I have a dry sump system on both of our race cars and I even improved the stock system on my LS7. If cost is holding you back from going with a dry sump system don't forget that most of the cost will be recovered when you remove and sell it. ust be sure to keep your stock parts to put back on.

John
Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm running a C5R block (427) with a C5 Z06 pan and Accusump. I plan on 2-3 HPDEs at Road Atlanta this year, and like the original poster, have oiling concerns. Does having the race block buy me any insurance?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

IIRC Several factors were involved in the LS3 ON track failures last year.

- Not enough oil was circulating through the heads,

- Oil was not returning from the heads to the pan quick enough, causing oil starvation - This one was from HARD HARD Braking

- sustained high G Left hand corners forcing the oil away from the pick up. 1 sec was more then enough time to cause the oil starvation.

any race engine or engine used for HPDES / Track days needs great oiling. A Dry sump always best.

some possible helpful hints:

Keep the oil circulating at all times, keep the accu-sump running
- short shift, stay off the rev limiter ( this is good for every one)

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Oiling Issues

Quick Reply: LS3 Oiling Issues