Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my new vette out for a test run

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Took my new vette out for a test run

I picked up this NorCal SCCA ITE car listed on this forum a month ago. Price was right and the car was in excellent condition .

Took it out for a test run at Thunderhill yesterday after making some suspension modifications to the car. Didn't have time to corner balance or do an alignment, but it looked good enough. The track conditions were not ideal, but I still got a pretty good feel for the car and it's potential. High of the day was only 38F and it was foggy and damp. Never could get any heat into the tires. The steering wheel has a big spacer pushing it way too close to my body for my comfort so that needs to go. Here's a vid of one lap:

I put the car on the track dyno and it put down 420 rwhp. My plan is to run this car in ST2, but I need to lose 40-50 hp. I wonder if I can accomplish this by restricting the exhaust and detuning or if I should swap in a LS6 cam. It also has a Fast 90 intake with a 92 mm TB. I think the cam in it now is a 224/224 with .587 lift or close to that. What do you think?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:29 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congratulations. I was wondering what happened to this car.
I would play with the tune before I did anything else.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Looks and sounds good.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:34 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Bill. How's it compare to your blue car?

You can always back off the timing in the tune to pull back some hp. Looks like you already have some nice muffles on your exhaust tips.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats nice looking car. These detune posts are popping up all over with nasa rules. I ve' spent the last 10 years learning to tune for hp. This winter I'm going to have to learn how to loose it. We all know all kinds of things restrictors,pulling timing etc.. Whats best?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:11 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

that is a sweet car! love it, but whats with the exhaust tips?

on a side note, you will need to lose some power, but at the same time, you want as much max TQ as possible on the low end for the corners

Last edited by VGLNTE1; 01-08-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Congratulations. I was wondering what happened to this car.
I would play with the tune before I did anything else.
Originally Posted by Greywolfe
Congrats! Looks and sounds good.
Thanks .

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr
Very nice Bill. How's it compare to your blue car?

You can always back off the timing in the tune to pull back some hp. Looks like you already have some nice muffles on your exhaust tips.
Feels very similar since I swapped my coilovers from the blue car onto this one. But it has a slightly smaller front sway bar and full front aero, which makes the car handle much better with nice turn in. It even felt more neutral in slower turns where my C5Z was pushing a little. It's hard to tell based on only one day out on a cold track, but I expect this car to be a couple seconds faster than my C5Z in ST2 trim. I was not running the muffler baffles at the track and the car was very loud. Even with earplugs it was annoying after a while. I think my 1st attempt to cut power might be to just install the baffles and try to detune it. If that's not enough, then a cam swap.

Blue car with a wing but no front aero on a perfect track day running the bypass. You can see I was carrying more speed in many places due to better grip and confidence:

Originally Posted by John B
Congrats nice looking car. These detune posts are popping up all over with nasa rules. I ve' spent the last 10 years learning to tune for hp. This winter I'm going to have to learn how to loose it. We all know all kinds of things restrictors,pulling timing etc.. Whats best?
Yeah, but I'm glad I have to lose power and not gain power . I'm not sure what the best option is except I want a solution to get to peak torque asap and then keep the power curve flat all the way out to redline. I suppose a restrictor and some good tuning could accomplish this since it's only 40-50 hp. I'll have to talk to my tuner and see what he thinks.

On another note, I don't know how long this aftermarket engine will last. I've seen these things fail 10 times more frequently than stock engines. I have a catch can in my dry sump system and it is collecting water. That doesn't sound good to me although the engine seems to be running strong.

Last edited by redtopz; 01-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
They are baffles designed to lower sound and for spark arrest purposes in off-road vehicles. The previous owner used them at Laguna Seca for sound control.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1

on a side note, you will need to lose some power, but at the same time, you want as much max TQ as possible on the low end for the corners
Look like Super Trapp I run on my car for Lime Rock noise restrictions. You can remove Super Trapp baffles and even space them farther apart like I did with washers.

on the car Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome Bill! So does this mean no more T1? Or are you going to have T1 AND ST2 fun with separate cars?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Look like Super Trapp I run on my car for Lime Rock noise restrictions. You can remove Super Trapp baffles and even space them farther apart like I did with washers.

on the car Good Luck!
Super Trapps. I had them on my 97.
From the Super Trapp web site:

SuperTrapp is the original tunable muffler. The SuperTrapp exhaust system allows you to adjust, or “fine tune,” the sound level, powerband and performance. SuperTrapp’s exhaust outlet is formed by a precise gap between a series of individual discs. Adding discs increases the size of the exhaust outlet, increases exhaust flow and exhaust tone while reducing backpressure. More discs move the power band up to give you more top-end power, and lean out the carbureted fuel mixture. Removing discs decreases the size of the exhaust outlet, decreases exhaust tone, and exhaust flow while backpressure is increased. Fewer discs tend to increase low-end torque and richen the carbureted fuel mixture. Diffuser discs allow you to compensate for changes in altitude and air temperature without re-jetting or changing your air intake. And, besides reducing noise, our discs function as United States Forest Service-approved spark arrestors (USFS T-102), making them a safer choice for off-road motorcycles and ATVs

Bill
Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 PM
flink
Racer

I was glad I had earplugs just following that thing.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 PM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

nice ride
Old 01-08-2011, 10:36 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Awesome Bill! So does this mean no more T1? Or are you going to have T1 AND ST2 fun with separate cars?
2 cars, twice the fun . And twice the work . I still do all my own car prep, setup, and maintenance. No big shops want to sponsor little old me. I didn't "need" the car to run T1 and ST2 but for $15k out of my pocket after parting out some stuff, it actually made financial sense. I have enough spare parts to last seasons of racing. Plus both cars together are still less than one C6Z .
Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Thats Sweet.Whats that green stuff on both sides of the track?Down here in SoCal at most of the tracks theres just desert.
Good luck with your new vette.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 AM
C5-vette
Racer

Originally Posted by flink
I was glad I had earplugs just following that thing.

Very cool mirror/camera setup! nice driving too.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
2 cars, twice the fun . And twice the work . I still do all my own car prep, setup, and maintenance. No big shops want to sponsor little old me. I didn't "need" the car to run T1 and ST2 but for $15k out of my pocket after parting out some stuff, it actually made financial sense. I have enough spare parts to last seasons of racing. Plus both cars together are still less than one C6Z .
That's awesome Bill!

Get notified of new replies

To Took my new vette out for a test run

Old 01-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I saw that car a thought it seemed like a real good deal, I think you'll be faster in a race in the gray no matter how you slice it because it has no sentimental value your blue car is really nice to nice to be a real race car, cool video and nice options

Last edited by Cloaked323; 01-09-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
2 cars, twice the fun . And twice the work . .
You can leave the blue on at my place, I'll even do the prep.
And exercise it for ya.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill32
You can leave the blue on at my place, I'll even do the prep.
And exercise it for ya.
Now that's a deal!!

But he lives closer to me.....I'll house the grey one for him

Quick Reply: Took my new vette out for a test run