Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Laguna laps in a C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Laguna laps in a C6 Z06

I posted this in the NorCal section, thought it might have some interest in this area also. My first time out in the car, on Nitto NT05's with rain in the forecast, stock except for StopTechs. My previous track car was a Lotus Elise, you'll see me driving lines more appropriate for a momentum car, so I gotta work on that. Any comments welcome, I have a thick skin.

The Mustang I was following is a '69, full race prep (cage, slicks, gutted) with a 550 hp Ford Windsor, driven by the event organizer. The GT3 that walks away from me early in the clip is again a full-on race car with slicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FChuMgDcyYM
Old 01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary(SF)
I posted this in the NorCal section, thought it might have some interest in this area also. My first time out in the car, on Nitto NT05's with rain in the forecast, stock except for StopTechs. My previous track car was a Lotus Elise, you'll see me driving lines more appropriate for a momentum car, so I gotta work on that. Any comments welcome, I have a thick skin.

The Mustang I was following is a '69, full race prep (cage, slicks, gutted) with a 550 hp Ford Windsor, driven by the event organizer. The GT3 that walks away from me early in the clip is again a full-on race car with slicks.

Good driving, those NT05 work really well that racing seat helps a lot on that track as well. I've been on that track once last year and it curbing cut tires and several people went off, I really couldn't get into a driving rhythm. The group you were with really looked like they were doing well as far as staying on the track and track edict, it looked fun out there. Were you able to log lap times, if so what were they?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by Threshold

Good driving, those NT05 work really well that racing seat helps a lot on that track as well. I've been on that track once last year and it curbing cut tires and several people went off, I really couldn't get into a driving rhythm. The group you were with really looked like they were doing well as far as staying on the track and track edict, it looked fun out there. Were you able to log lap times, if so what were they?
Quickest was a 1:42 something.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Petty quick low 140's, I turned a 147 traffic and caution but fun nonetheless

Last edited by Cloaked323; 01-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

R&T just last month did a 1:40 something in the Carbon Z06...
Old 01-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There are some really quick guys in our Corvette Challenge who ran some really fast times there, the only time one of those guys has even been on Laguna was a video game.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool - Laguna is certainly a track I want to drive on someday. You guys have some great tracks out there. Thunderhill is one of my favorites!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by Threshold
There are some really quick guys in our Corvette Challenge who ran some really fast times there, the only time one of those guys has even been on Laguna was a video game.
re: learning tracks with video games...if it's good enough for the F1 boys, it's good enough for us, right?

Gary
Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Cloaked323
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

re: learning tracks with video games...if it's good enough for the F1 boys, it's good enough for us, right?

Gary
Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Man I'd love to have laguna nearby.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Man I'd love to have laguna nearby.
I prefer Infineon and Thunderhill. But we are spoiled out here and LS is a great track too. It's pretty easy to learn and it favors hp a lot compared to the other tracks.

Gary, congrats on your first time out in the C6Z. That's a very respectable time on street tires .
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by redtopz
I prefer Infineon and Thunderhill. But we are spoiled out here and LS is a great track too. It's pretty easy to learn and it favors hp a lot compared to the other tracks.

Gary, congrats on your first time out in the C6Z. That's a very respectable time on street tires .
Thanks for the kind words!

I really like Infineon, too, the most pure driver's track ever, IMO. I don't get to THill much, there are so many events at LS and Inf, both of which are less than an hour and a half drive, I just seldom get motivated to drive 3 plus hrs and buy a motel room.

Gary
Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the kind words!

I really like Infineon, too, the most pure driver's track ever, IMO. I don't get to THill much, there are so many events at LS and Inf, both of which are less than an hour and a half drive, I just seldom get motivated to drive 3 plus hrs and buy a motel room.

Gary
Yeah, that's true. I have done a bunch of days at T-hill because I started hpde there and stuck with it for a while due to the nice runoff all around the track. It's a good track to learn on. I didn't start going to Infineon until last year and LS just before that due to the concrete walls .
Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 PM
ace996
Pro

Big difference from the Elise, right? I miss some attributes of the Lotus but I'm happy I'm back in a C5Z.
Great vid!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by ace996
Big difference from the Elise, right? I miss some attributes of the Lotus but I'm happy I'm back in a C5Z.
Great vid!!!
Yeah, one extreme to another, almost. The only quality they share is they are both great track cars. I must say I was a little worried that after the Elise anything else might feel ponderous and bloated, but I was very impressed with the handling dynamics of the Z06, it's a very nicely dialed in car. And it sure makes a nicer ride to and from the track!

Gary
Old 01-05-2011, 02:41 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

watch your steering input go almost instantly from "commited to a turn" to "straight" in T3, T5, T11 - should be a lot more gradual and will allow you to add power.

this is why the cars are pulling away from you in the corkscrew and why the white car flies away from you in 11. need to get that right pedal down sooner, even if you cannot push it all the way like you can in a lotus. move up the apexes, get entry speeds down if you need to - you'll make all that up and then some on the exit.

great entry into T2, but you dont have to hug the inside so much all the way - drift out, then start getting the steering angle out as you approach the 2nd apex - and add power.

these cars are all about making bargains in every corner to get few extra % of throttle down few milliseconds sooner - always look for ways to get that power down earlier.

a lot of days are being scheduled at Laguna this year - lots of practice for everyone!
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by longdaddy
watch your steering input go almost instantly from "commited to a turn" to "straight" in T3, T5, T11 - should be a lot more gradual and will allow you to add power.

this is why the cars are pulling away from you in the corkscrew and why the white car flies away from you in 11. need to get that right pedal down sooner, even if you cannot push it all the way like you can in a lotus. move up the apexes, get entry speeds down if you need to - you'll make all that up and then some on the exit.

great entry into T2, but you dont have to hug the inside so much all the way - drift out, then start getting the steering angle out as you approach the 2nd apex - and add power.

these cars are all about making bargains in every corner to get few extra % of throttle down few milliseconds sooner - always look for ways to get that power down earlier.

a lot of days are being scheduled at Laguna this year - lots of practice for everyone!
Thanks for the detailed tips, I appreciate the analysis. I'm very much a novice, especially in this car, and can't wait to apply your advice.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To A few Laguna laps in a C6 Z06

Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never driven that track, but I can't imagine a Z06 having to downshift into 2nd at any track. Go as low as 3rd and get in the throttle sooner, as said above.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, nice driving. I showed up around noon on Sunday, I had a silver C6Z and came down with my buddy who bought my blue C5Z. I tried meeting the various Vette drivers but never made it over to you. Dave let me out on the track in an afternoon session and I got black flagged after 1 lap (too loud). It was COLD that day so we just split. What mods do you have if any? Which Corbeau/mounting bracket setup? How's your headroom? I have a tall torso so I'm still researching seat choices. I'm trying to stay away from a rigid mount, would prefer side mounts and a manual slider.

That Mustang sure plowed some mud before meeting the wall.

~Phil
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Gary(SF)
Instructor

Originally Posted by GreekPT
Gary, nice driving. I showed up around noon on Sunday, I had a silver C6Z and came down with my buddy who bought my blue C5Z. I tried meeting the various Vette drivers but never made it over to you. Dave let me out on the track in an afternoon session and I got black flagged after 1 lap (too loud). It was COLD that day so we just split. What mods do you have if any? Which Corbeau/mounting bracket setup? How's your headroom? I have a tall torso so I'm still researching seat choices. I'm trying to stay away from a rigid mount, would prefer side mounts and a manual slider.

That Mustang sure plowed some mud before meeting the wall.

~Phil
Stock except for StopTechs. The seats were installed by TPS Motorsport, so whatever they use. I'm only 5'10", but have plenty of room with a helmet. You're welcome to come by home (Los Altos Hills) or work (Sunnyvale near Moffett) if you want to try the seats.

Yeah, there were a lot of offs that day, because of the cold track I guess.

Gary

Quick Reply: A few Laguna laps in a C6 Z06