Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Fitness...!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driver Fitness...!

I'm feeling the desire to shed some weight and get into better shape for the upcoming driving season. I don't want to blow out the zipper on my driving suit like last year. (FYI: Zip ties do well in a pinch. )

Has anyone developed or participated in a fitness program specifically tailored to the stressors of driving?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have not heard of such a program in the USA. You might check some of the F1 sites and drivers info. I saw on a TV broadcast that some of the F1 pilots have rigerous physical and aerobic programs to further their driving ability. Otherwise go to the local Gym and discuss with them, I'm sure that they can help design a routine to accomplish what you want to do.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

To drop ~10lbs, cut out beer during the week.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
triple_s1x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago I did the trainingpeaks motorsports program. It basically consisted of all low weight / high rep workouts, and i added a ton of cardio.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Loco Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Loaded like a freight train, flyin' like an aeroplane!
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X-XI Blind Cart Auto-X Champ
CI VI Autocross Champ
CI VIII Autocross Champ
CI VIII Cone-killin' champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Jason
Old 12-29-2010, 02:53 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a pharmacist and Board Certified Clinical Nutrionist (which means I certified to work w/ you to use suppliments to keep you off the prescription drugs)
This is what i do to keep the weight off and manage it afterwards. The following are samples of things that work, not inclusive:
1. Get your testosterone levels checked, also Blood sugar ( FSB, A1C), Thyroid level (TSH, T3). U cannot loose weight if they are trashed. I'd be happy to discuss your levels after you get copies. email Drugschnorr@gmail.com

2. Exercise, cardio every other day 30min minimum.. Wt training 3 times a week.
check out "Fit for Life" by Bill Phillips. Old book, great starter
3. Get a trainer to go Boxing, or some kind of hard cardio.
4. Drive fast through a college campus.. ( increases Testosterone 19%)
5. eat protein and fat for breakfast..eggs and bacon..no cereals.. carbs cause cholesterol increases, don't help lower it. The mfg payed a 45Mill penalty for false advertizing. So did the Milk folks.
6. Drop Gluten products will decrease 10 lbs in 30 days and improve blood sugars and allergies.
7.if u want cereal for breakfast.. eat chocolate cake.. same nutrional value per serving ~ 24 to 34 grams of carbs. and u are hungry in 2 hours vs. 4-5hr for bacon and eggs.
8. consider the low carb protein shakes for bkfst and lunch.
9. no carb snacks. fruit and veggies are complex carb and don't count.
10. take in less than 1800 cal per day.
11. increase B vitamins to improve metabolism
12. consider the HCG diet programs.. only if u need to loose more than 20 pounds.

good luck
I was 206 last summer. worked out 30min a day, off on sundays.. added in 1hr of intense cardio..boxing and lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks and increased my stanima on the track.

for the hot days of the summer on the track:
2000mg of Vit C
200mg of Magnesium
any of the electrolyte liquid concentrate --8-10 drops daily in a bottle of H2O.
drink lots of water.. formula is body wt/2 in ounces daily.. be sure to do this every day, at the track add one more bottle.. yes you should be peeing. ( i'm 195lbs/2 so i drink 97 ounces of water= 6 pints of water daily and 7-8 on track days. add 500mg of Taurine and Carnitin at the track days.
If leg cramps add 10 Meq of Potassium 3 days a week ( rx drug)
and if restless legs take 400mg of Magnesium at bedtime and 200 at breakfast ( citrate if bowels not moving, glycinate or other chelates if bowels move daily)

Good luck..
This should shave a few tenths off your track time.. don't forget to get the wt ballance on the car changed. LOL.
--tomtom
Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
billy25us
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
That's just crazy talk.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
racesports
Instructor

Check out: www.pitfit.com

They are based in Indy, but it looks like they have some online programs available for those not local to them. Used by many IndyCar and Indy Light drivers.

I've never gone to them, but found them on Facebook. My wife is a personal trainer and likes many of the things they show they do. DRUGschnorr has a lot of great suggestions too.

Good luck!

Tim
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Todd,

Since you have seen my body mass , I am not one to give advice. However.... I belong to a local gym and asked for specific advice on what to do for driving muscle groups as well as stamina. So I do cardio and weights. Was up for 35 hours at the 25 hour race recently at Thunderhill (we won our class!!) and I feel that this workout helped keep me going as well as 18 hour old coffee!

See you on the podium next year!!!

Ed
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
As a pharmacist and Board Certified Clinical Nutrionist (which means I certified to work w/ you to use suppliments to keep you off the prescription drugs)
This is what i do to keep the weight off and manage it afterwards. The following are samples of things that work, not inclusive:
1. Get your testosterone levels checked, also Blood sugar ( FSB, A1C), Thyroid level (TSH, T3). U cannot loose weight if they are trashed. I'd be happy to discuss your levels after you get copies. email Drugschnorr@gmail.com

2. Exercise, cardio every other day 30min minimum.. Wt training 3 times a week.
check out "Fit for Life" by Bill Phillips. Old book, great starter
3. Get a trainer to go Boxing, or some kind of hard cardio.
4. Drive fast through a college campus.. ( increases Testosterone 19%)
5. eat protein and fat for breakfast..eggs and bacon..no cereals.. carbs cause cholesterol increases, don't help lower it. The mfg payed a 45Mill penalty for false advertizing. So did the Milk folks.
6. Drop Gluten products will decrease 10 lbs in 30 days and improve blood sugars and allergies.
7.if u want cereal for breakfast.. eat chocolate cake.. same nutrional value per serving ~ 24 to 34 grams of carbs. and u are hungry in 2 hours vs. 4-5hr for bacon and eggs.
8. consider the low carb protein shakes for bkfst and lunch.
9. no carb snacks. fruit and veggies are complex carb and don't count.
10. take in less than 1800 cal per day.
11. increase B vitamins to improve metabolism
12. consider the HCG diet programs.. only if u need to loose more than 20 pounds.

good luck
I was 206 last summer. worked out 30min a day, off on sundays.. added in 1hr of intense cardio..boxing and lost 16 pounds in 4 weeks and increased my stanima on the track.

for the hot days of the summer on the track:
2000mg of Vit C
200mg of Magnesium
any of the electrolyte liquid concentrate --8-10 drops daily in a bottle of H2O.
drink lots of water.. formula is body wt/2 in ounces daily.. be sure to do this every day, at the track add one more bottle.. yes you should be peeing. ( i'm 195lbs/2 so i drink 97 ounces of water= 6 pints of water daily and 7-8 on track days. add 500mg of Taurine and Carnitin at the track days.
If leg cramps add 10 Meq of Potassium 3 days a week ( rx drug)
and if restless legs take 400mg of Magnesium at bedtime and 200 at breakfast ( citrate if bowels not moving, glycinate or other chelates if bowels move daily)

Good luck..
This should shave a few tenths off your track time.. don't forget to get the wt ballance on the car changed. LOL.
--tomtom

Very good start. You need to get your heart rate as high as you can get it. Mine would get over 200 BPM at Charlotte Motor Spedway in a GT-1 race in July.

Eat a banana every day and several on race day. Eat an apple just before you get into the car. The natural sugar will last a long time and you won't get a sugar high then low.

I take 5,000 IU of "C" a day for about a week ahead of time and on race day.

Don't ever eat any refined sugar and drink NO alcohol!

Prepare days ahead, get plenty of sleep, concentrate and "PUT BRAIN IN GEAR!"

Jim
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

p90X is pretty awesome, weight training+cardio+Yoga/flexibility. As a runner the past 20years, the cardio wasn't that hard for me, but the overall routines are intense.

Personally, I believe in training for the atmosphere you race in. For me, that means running all year, ESPECIALLY when it's over 100degrees outside. Never ever have I worn a cool suit when the other Pro Drivers were whining in their AC equipped cars!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
p90X is pretty awesome, weight training+cardio+Yoga/flexibility. As a runner the past 20years, the cardio wasn't that hard for me, but the overall routines are intense.

Personally, I believe in training for the atmosphere you race in. For me, that means running all year, ESPECIALLY when it's over 100degrees outside. Never ever have I worn a cool suit when the other Pro Drivers were whining in their AC equipped cars!

You and me David. I agree. I liked the 140-150 degree cars. I bet your at rest heart beat is like mine 35 to 40 BPM? Not bad for a 66 year old!

Jim
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Checkout a local Crossfit affiliate. It may look like a lot (or maybe not), but the workouts are designed for people to be able to scale them to individual needs. Crossfit has helped me tremendously this year along with a good clean diet
Old 12-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that you and Scott?

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Good stuff guys. Apparantly the wife has signed me up to run a 1/2 marathon in San Diego this June.
I get seriously winded going up a flight of stairs so I'd better get crackin.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
Is that you and Scott?
Yeah and I'm winning at that point, but I threw it off in the next corner.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Fitness...!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Good stuff guys. Apparantly the wife has signed me up to run a 1/2 marathon in San Diego this June.
I get seriously winded going up a flight of stairs so I'd better get crackin.
You can do it

Don't wait until Jan 3rd to start, start working towards it tomorrow
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

1/2 marathon is no problem...... a few months should be pretty easy for a young guy like yourself. I've been considering doing a full marathon, but my joints start causing me major problems at higher distances.

Maybe we should be RUNNING laps around Rd Atlanta this spring????
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
no sections of 13 mile road that are 2600 miles closer?

be sure to hit up some of the west coast tracks while out there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Fitness...!