Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwing codes and not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Throwing codes and not sure why

The other day I decided to start the vette up to let it idle as I hadn't done that in a couple of weeks. I keep the battery on a tender so I put the battery back in and as I'm about to start it up... I get the AH, TC codes on the display along with "brake fluid low". So when the car starts up, the TC is already disabled.

The only thing I have changed on the car that might have any effect is I put on some Willwood SL6 calipers and I'm using 3/8" spacers up front to clear the calipers. I'm running T1 sized CCW's (17x10 fronts, 17x11 rears).

Any idea what's going on? And the brake fluid reservoir is full so I'm not sure why that is popping up.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

One time I had a similar issue after messing with the hubs - I had disconnected the sensor wire that goes into the hubs and forgot to re-connect. This caused several AH/TC codes to turn on. Might want to check it.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, your gauges working properly?? might just be some
sort of communications problem, had this happen with friends car.
The car started fine but the battery was just on the threshold
of being bad, if anything give the reservoir a couple taps
maybe the float is stuck.

I think the codes will clear themsleves if you go and drive the car
a little bit and no other problems exist. AKA the light goes out...
Old 12-28-2010, 01:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it until you decide to get it out and drive it some. Likely it will reset after a few ignition cycles and go away. If you do have a problem, you'll just have to follow the trouble code and hope they are accurate.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:50 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I wouldn't worry about it until you decide to get it out and drive it some. Likely it will reset after a few ignition cycles and go away. If you do have a problem, you'll just have to follow the trouble code and hope they are accurate.
I have had this on my white FRC for about a year - no idea what causes it and it has no effect on track use...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:52 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I regularly had the AH/TC codes pop up when I start the car, it never interfered with anything so I never bothered to get it looked at. I also still went through the process of 'turning them off' just so the computer knows i want them off and doesn't try to activate anything.They disappeared on their own..
Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
They disappeared on their own..
How long did they take to disappear on their own???? I am currently having simular problems on my 05 after an engine change??? I went throught the usuall check of the connectors this morning, found nothing unusual. My problem is it's not throwing any codes, just the messages, and usually not till the car is put into gear and is rolling, goes through the computer self check OK, any help would be appreciated,
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

I regularly had the AH/TC codes pop up when I start the car, it never interfered with anything so I never bothered to get it looked at. I also still went through the process of 'turning them off' just so the computer knows i want them off and doesn't try to activate anything.They disappeared on their own..
I can say that it doesn't seem to affect the car when its driven. But the TC is now always off when I turn the car on. You can't turn it on or put it in competitive mode. Not a big deal to me since I never use TC on the track, just worries me since its not the normal.

I will check the brake fluid reservoir when I get back home in a couple of days and see if that one will just disappear. I would like to see the rest of those disappear as well.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Is your car a c5? If so you can pull up the current codes on the DIC with the key on and hold the option button down and press the fuel button 4 times. This will display codes and tell you the what code it is. You can also clear the codes by holding the reset button down until the codes clear.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
How long did they take to disappear on their own???? I am currently having simular problems on my 05 after an engine change??? I went throught the usuall check of the connectors this morning, found nothing unusual. My problem is it's not throwing any codes, just the messages, and usually not till the car is put into gear and is rolling, goes through the computer self check OK, any help would be appreciated,
after I replaced the motor Well, after the shop replaced the motor
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
I can say that it doesn't seem to affect the car when its driven. But the TC is now always off when I turn the car on. You can't turn it on or put it in competitive mode. Not a big deal to me since I never use TC on the track, just worries me since its not the normal.

I will check the brake fluid reservoir when I get back home in a couple of days and see if that one will just disappear. I would like to see the rest of those disappear as well.
that's interesting bc i could still turn it off/on and put into competitive driving mode..
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
Is your car a c5? If so you can pull up the current codes on the DIC with the key on and hold the option button down and press the fuel button 4 times. This will display codes and tell you the what code it is. You can also clear the codes by holding the reset button down until the codes clear.
It's the car in my avatar. And yes, I've reset codes before and they went away. If I remember correctly, I tried to do it to both the AH and TC, but they wouldn't reset. I thought that was

that's interesting bc i could still turn it off/on and put into competitive driving mode..
That's what I'm used to as well. I've got to get the car tuned soon anyways so I may just let him take a look at it and see what he thinks.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I swapped to a lightweight battery this past weekend and now my AH/TC messages are on the DIC. And it is stuck in traction control off mode. No biggie. They will cycle and go away when I drive it some. It has happened before.

-Kevin
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

after I replaced the motor Well, after the shop replaced the motor
Your right about that, I wasn't about to attempt that!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

What are the code numbers?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:05 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I swapped to a lightweight battery this past weekend and now my AH/TC messages are on the DIC. And it is stuck in traction control off mode. No biggie. They will cycle and go away when I drive it some. It has happened before.

-Kevin
That's good info to know... thank you sir!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vette6aut0x
What are the code numbers?

My FRC throws a code consistently with AH/TC being disabled all the time now. I will look the code up tonight...

Get notified of new replies

To Throwing codes and not sure why

Old 12-29-2010, 02:46 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by varkwso
My FRC throws a code consistently with AH/TC being disabled all the time now. I will look the code up tonight...
I had mine read at Autozone, didn't show any codes, but still have the messages!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
I had mine read at Autozone, didn't show any codes, but still have the messages!!!!
Autozone can only read OBD2 codes, the codes you need read need a factory level scan tool , tech2, snapon ,or other capable scanners.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

try looking at this, sounds crazy to me, but its from the General himself.

http://www.identifix.com/tsbfiles/108000/107740.pdf

Quick Reply: Throwing codes and not sure why